You are here

Can I plug H9000 on this DAC?

Login to Post to Forums

You must be logged in to the Eventide website in order to post to our forums. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. You may also reset your password.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
techno
Joined: Aug 13 2018
Posts: 8

Can I plug H9000 on this DAC?

techno
May 25, 2020 - 06:00 pm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur24c.htm

Can I plug it there? I only need my monitors and my Magni 3 headphone amp. I don't play any instruments, it's to be used as an effects procesor for VSTi's all in the box. I would like to automate the h9000 as if it was an VST plugin. Am I lacking connections with the UR24C?

Eventide Staff
jbamberg
Joined: Aug 22 2011
Posts: 230
jbamberg
May 26, 2020 - 03:26 pm

techno wrote:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur24c.htm

Can I plug it there? I only need my monitors and my Magni 3 headphone amp. I don't play any instruments, it's to be used as an effects procesor for VSTi's all in the box. I would like to automate the h9000 as if it was an VST plugin. Am I lacking connections with the UR24C?

It looks like the UR24C doesn't have any digital IO.  Are you using a Mac or Windows PC?  If it's a Mac, it should be possible to use a CoreAudio aggregate device, giving you 16 channels of IO to the H9000. 

techno
Joined: Aug 13 2018
Posts: 8
techno
May 28, 2020 - 12:11 am

jbamberg wrote:

techno wrote:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur24c.htm

Can I plug it there? I only need my monitors and my Magni 3 headphone amp. I don't play any instruments, it's to be used as an effects procesor for VSTi's all in the box. I would like to automate the h9000 as if it was an VST plugin. Am I lacking connections with the UR24C?

It looks like the UR24C doesn't have any digital IO.  Are you using a Mac or Windows PC?  If it's a Mac, it should be possible to use a CoreAudio aggregate device, giving you 16 channels of IO to the H9000. 

 

Im running Windows 10. So what do I need that is similar to UR24C? I was told I didn't even need it because the h9000 is a DAC it inself and I could just plug it with USB on the PC and then plug the Magni 3 there on the h9000 or something

Eventide Staff
jbamberg
Joined: Aug 22 2011
Posts: 230
jbamberg
May 28, 2020 - 12:01 pm

techno wrote:

Im running Windows 10. So what do I need that is similar to UR24C? I was told I didn't even need it because the h9000 is a DAC it inself and I could just plug it with USB on the PC and then plug the Magni 3 there on the h9000 or something

Yes, the H9000 is a DAC in itself and the analog performance is very good.  However, it doesn't (yet) have gain control over the analog IO, so you would need to plug it into a mixer or something else with analog gain controls.  We are going to add internal gain controls in a future update to make it more easy to use as an audio interface.

You could connect two of the analog outputs to the Magni 3 and two of them to your monitors via a monitor controller that would allow you to adjust the volume.  Note that the H9000 outputs are balanced.  You would need to make sure to get the right cables.

 

plikestechno
Joined: May 27 2017
Posts: 15
plikestechno
May 30, 2020 - 01:16 am

oh that is very exciting about the internal gain controls. itll make a great box even better. i have used my h9000 as an interface both in dante and usb modes and it is some work to have all of your routing set up but it works great for it and is my primary interface now. direct connection is your friend for when you want to send out monitor and headphone feeds or record clean in.

techno
Joined: Aug 13 2018
Posts: 8
techno
June 03, 2020 - 05:31 pm

jbamberg wrote:

techno wrote:

Im running Windows 10. So what do I need that is similar to UR24C? I was told I didn't even need it because the h9000 is a DAC it inself and I could just plug it with USB on the PC and then plug the Magni 3 there on the h9000 or something

Yes, the H9000 is a DAC in itself and the analog performance is very good.  However, it doesn't (yet) have gain control over the analog IO, so you would need to plug it into a mixer or something else with analog gain controls.  We are going to add internal gain controls in a future update to make it more easy to use as an audio interface.

You could connect two of the analog outputs to the Magni 3 and two of them to your monitors via a monitor controller that would allow you to adjust the volume.  Note that the H9000 outputs are balanced.  You would need to make sure to get the right cables.

 

 

My monitors have its own volume knows luckily, but its still better to have a knob that controls both at the same time.. I can't use the UR24 as a knob for the monitors? if not then I would need to route it throught something like Swissonic M-Control?

 

techno
Joined: Aug 13 2018
Posts: 8
techno
June 03, 2020 - 05:33 pm

What worries me about using the H9000 as a DAC is that the big knob I assume its used as volume (when you allow for it) and it's not a physical fixed dedicated volume control so changes in software could make it ignore it or reset it somehow and blow up your eardrums. So I think for safety I would still route it throught a physical knob.

Eventide Staff
jbamberg
Joined: Aug 22 2011
Posts: 230
jbamberg
June 04, 2020 - 11:07 am

techno wrote:

What worries me about using the H9000 as a DAC is that the big knob I assume its used as volume (when you allow for it) and it's not a physical fixed dedicated volume control so changes in software could make it ignore it or reset it somehow and blow up your eardrums. So I think for safety I would still route it throught a physical knob.

I agree, it's not a bad idea to have an analog volume control.  Of course, we will do our utmost to make the digital controls reliable.

techno
Joined: Aug 13 2018
Posts: 8
techno
June 07, 2020 - 03:05 pm

jbamberg wrote:

techno wrote:

Im running Windows 10. So what do I need that is similar to UR24C? I was told I didn't even need it because the h9000 is a DAC it inself and I could just plug it with USB on the PC and then plug the Magni 3 there on the h9000 or something

Yes, the H9000 is a DAC in itself and the analog performance is very good.  However, it doesn't (yet) have gain control over the analog IO, so you would need to plug it into a mixer or something else with analog gain controls.  We are going to add internal gain controls in a future update to make it more easy to use as an audio interface.

You could connect two of the analog outputs to the Magni 3 and two of them to your monitors via a monitor controller that would allow you to adjust the volume.  Note that the H9000 outputs are balanced.  You would need to make sure to get the right cables.

 

Trying to understand how the cables would look like and I dont understand this:

"You could connect two of the analog outputs to the Magni 3 and two of them to your monitors via a monitor controller that would allow you to adjust the volume."

By looking behind the h9000 it has only 2 outputs, XLR analog connectors:

https://tacsystem.jp/products/eventide/h9000

Look second pic."Analog Out 2 Channels 1"

So, you are saying, that I plug the Magni 3 throught these 2 outputs. The Magni 3 has RCA as inputs, so I would need XLR to RCA cable. Now, the 2 outputs of h9000 are used.

But you say "and two of them", what are the other two that I can use to connect to the monitor controller? Im trying to understand in my head how the things would look like when all connected to buy the right cables.

Also, do I lose sound quality by using a device that is inbalanced? (Magni 3 has unbalanceds) or this only matters if I need very long cable?

Eventide Staff
jbamberg
Joined: Aug 22 2011
Posts: 230
jbamberg
June 08, 2020 - 09:47 am

techno wrote:

By looking behind the h9000 it has only 2 outputs, XLR analog connectors:

https://tacsystem.jp/products/eventide/h9000

There are 8 channels of analog IO on the two Dsub connectors labeled "ANALOG 1-8" on the diagram.  The first two channels are the same as the XLR connectors.  You need break out cables for the Dsub connectors to connect to other equipment.  Then you could use the XLRs for the Magni 3 and channels 3-8 on the breakout cables for your other analog equipment.

If you need further help with your setup, please email support@eventide.com and we can give you more information.

techno wrote:

Also, do I lose sound quality by using a device that is inbalanced? (Magni 3 has unbalanceds) or this only matters if I need very long cable?

Balanced is always better, but it should still work well with an unbalanced connection.