You are here

4000 Series unpleasant "coloration"

Login to Post to Forums

You must be logged in to the Eventide website in order to post to our forums. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. You may also reset your password.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cmp

4000 Series unpleasant "coloration"

cmp
May 15, 2012 - 04:22 am

Hey all! In spite of the 4000 series status I have two of them and have worked great in studio.... However, trying to use in a live rig I'm having issues with a "color" that's added. An unwelcome one.... HaHa! It's a low level noise that almost sounds like a phasing? It's present all the time. I use the units in a switching system just like running into an fx loop on a guitar amp. My question is, Could this be a level issue? I'm getting a decent level on front panel. I just don't get it as these were seemingly whisper quiet when mixing a record using them..... now not so much. Any advice would be appreciated...... except the obvious.... "just upgrade"..... HaHa!!! Much Thanks!!!

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose
nickrose
May 15, 2012 - 11:43 am

Most likely cause is incorrect levels, then ground loops. You can get a phasing effect if you mix the output with the input when using a non-delay effect type.

cmp
cmp
May 30, 2012 - 05:49 pm

Hey there, 

Thanks for your reply! Are you saying the "phasing" occurs regardless of levels when output is mixed with input? Most of the effects I use are delay in nature.... Delay w/flange..... or delay w/mod etc. So not too many non-delay effects. I really need to get to the bottom of this to determine if it's worth keeping these or moving up.... I thank you in advance, and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I did not know you offered help so long ago. Thanks!!!!!

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose
nickrose
May 30, 2012 - 06:05 pm

Pretty much any analog-digital-analog process (meaning any digital effect, not just ours) introduces a small delay, usually a few milliseconds. If do an analog mix of the output of such a process with the input, you will usually get a phasing effect (to be exact, a comb filter effect like that produced by an unswept flanger).

This does not usually occur with a delay-based (e.g. delay, reverb, pitch change) effect, since the above delay is usually tiny compared to the effect's delay. One normally avoids this problem by doing a digital wet/dry mix, where both the wet and dry signal are subject to the same delay. In most cases, you do not mix an undelayed effect, such as a compressor, with the dry signal.