You are here

2 Factors on iPAD with latest H9 and FW not working

Login to Post to Forums

You must be logged in to the Eventide website in order to post to our forums. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. You may also reset your password.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
pinup57
Joined: Jul 11 2017
Posts: 15

2 Factors on iPAD with latest H9 and FW not working

pinup57
April 14, 2019 - 01:00 pm

Hi,

 

I had several conversations with support last fall about midi support for the iOS H9 app, and was VERY happy when I dropped by and saw that the january '19 update includes support for connecting several devices over midi on the iPad. That's great news, and I'm very thankful for this.

However, after several hours of trying everything possible, I wasn't able to get that to work. There are many combinations I tried, it just doesn't work. I have managed to get either one of my Factors to connect (after many a reset to factory settings both on the app and the pedals, inluding re-registration of the hardware) but as soon as I connect both, nothing works anymore, including when I only connect one of them. As soon as I launch the app, both pedals freeze and I need to physically unplug the USB connector for them to recover. Then I need to go to the whole procedure:  reset pedals (hot-knob +  right switch), reset app, reregister pedal on account, one-after-another to get at least one to work.

I have tried different USB hubs to no avail. I'm using a iPad2, iOS9.5, and a iConnect Midi4+ interface (all softwere is up-to-date).  I triple checked all the midi routings, nothing else is communicating on the same midiport. Most of the error message say "communication error". If I plug only one, it says ""an error occurred while communicating with the xxFactor device <xF-serial_number_here>" ........... Error code MessageConstats::sm_reponse_timeout, Error code [sm_response_timeout]. If I connect both, I get the same message but instead of identifying the pedal it just says "H9 device".

It would be so cool if I got that to work.... I'd appreciate any help

Thanks!

Dirk

 

(PS TimeFactor and PitchFactor. And one note: yes I know about the camera connection kit, yes I bought one for this purpose but I will NOT use it simply because Apple didn't bother to let it connect a charger. That was 100% money wasted. I'm working my **s off on a project, 12/14 hours a day for the past 6 months and can't be bothered with battery-low breaks.... really.)

 

bohan's picture
Eventide Staff
bohan
Joined: Jan 9 2018
Posts: 752
bohan
April 15, 2019 - 02:24 pm

pinup57 wrote:

I had several conversations with support last fall about midi support for the iOS H9 app, and was VERY happy when I dropped by and saw that the january '19 update includes support for connecting several devices over midi on the iPad. That's great news, and I'm very thankful for this.

However, after several hours of trying everything possible, I wasn't able to get that to work. There are many combinations I tried, it just doesn't work. I have managed to get either one of my Factors to connect (after many a reset to factory settings both on the app and the pedals, inluding re-registration of the hardware) but as soon as I connect both, nothing works anymore, including when I only connect one of them. As soon as I launch the app, both pedals freeze and I need to physically unplug the USB connector for them to recover. Then I need to go to the whole procedure:  reset pedals (hot-knob +  right switch), reset app, reregister pedal on account, one-after-another to get at least one to work.

Hi I'd like to know more about your setup. So how did you connect your stompboxes to your interface and iPad? What cables did you use?

The update in January added support to connect to multiple devices via MIDI. The correct way to do that on an iPad is to click the "Connect to Eventide devices via MIDI" in the Settings page. Please see attached images.

pinup57
Joined: Jul 11 2017
Posts: 15
pinup57
April 15, 2019 - 02:52 pm

bohan wrote:

Hi I'd like to know more about your setup. So how did you connect your stompboxes to your interface and iPad? What cables did you use?

The update in January added support to connect to multiple devices via MIDI. The correct way to do that on an iPad is to click the "Connect to Eventide devices via MIDI" in the Settings page. Please see attached images.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The Factors are connected to the iConnnectivity iCM4+ interface over USB using a USB hub (tried several hubs to no avail). The iCM4+ is connected to the iPad using the provided iConnectivity cable which is specially designed for this purpose. I  connect the devices in H9 Control by using the "Connect to Eventide devices via MIDI" option in the Settings page. There I choose the port I routed the Factors to and from. As I reported, I can get each to work independantly, but only if I totally reset everything after a failed attempt to connect both.

Regards,

Dirk

bohan's picture
Eventide Staff
bohan
Joined: Jan 9 2018
Posts: 752
bohan
April 15, 2019 - 05:06 pm

pinup57 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The Factors are connected to the iConnnectivity iCM4+ interface over USB using a USB hub (tried several hubs to no avail). The iCM4+ is connected to the iPad using the provided iConnectivity cable which is specially designed for this purpose. I  connect the devices in H9 Control by using the "Connect to Eventide devices via MIDI" option in the Settings page. There I choose the port I routed the Factors to and from. As I reported, I can get each to work independantly, but only if I totally reset everything after a failed attempt to connect both.

I can see a potential problem here. So H9 Control can save the connection by remembering the MIDI ports' names. Therefore, if you have 2 identical MIDI port names for 2 pedals, H9 Control could mess them up. Did you set two different MIDI port names for your pedals?

pinup57
Joined: Jul 11 2017
Posts: 15
pinup57
April 15, 2019 - 05:36 pm

bohan wrote:

I can see a potential problem here. So H9 Control can save the connection by remembering the MIDI ports' names. Therefore, if you have 2 identical MIDI port names for 2 pedals, H9 Control could mess them up. Did you set two different MIDI port names for your pedals?

Both pedals are using the same midiport as seen from the iPad. The routing is done inside the iCM4+. I don't think that this could be otherwise: there's only one port selectable in H9Control. Could this be related to incorrect device ID's? I didn't find an option to change these.

bohan's picture
Eventide Staff
bohan
Joined: Jan 9 2018
Posts: 752
bohan
April 16, 2019 - 11:25 am

pinup57 wrote:

Both pedals are using the same midiport as seen from the iPad. The routing is done inside the iCM4+. I don't think that this could be otherwise: there's only one port selectable in H9Control. Could this be related to incorrect device ID's? I didn't find an option to change these.

Now I'm pretty sure that's what caused the problem. The port names are configurable. Please refer to:

https://downloads.iconnectivity.com/manuals/ICM4Manual2016-08.pdf

http://forums.iconnectivity.com/index.php?p=/discussion/333/setting-custom-midi-port-names-for-os-x-and-ios

pinup57
Joined: Jul 11 2017
Posts: 15
pinup57
April 16, 2019 - 12:51 pm

bohan wrote:

Now I'm pretty sure that's what caused the problem. The port names are configurable. Please refer to:

https://downloads.iconnectivity.com/manuals/ICM4Manual2016-08.pdf

http://forums.iconnectivity.com/index.php?p=/discussion/333/setting-custom-midi-port-names-for-os-x-and-ios

Hi, Thank you.

Hi, it was not a matter of port names, but you put me on the right track: we must NOT use one single port for both pedals, but one distinct port for each one, and do the connection and registration process twice in a row. At first this didn't work, but I finally managed to connect both. One glitch though: I had connected the TimeFactor first, and when I registered the PitchFactor, one of the dialogs mentioned the TF (I think it was the one that said "retrieving information from the pedal). But that didn't seem to matter.

I think this should be mentioned in the release notes: it's not so obvious. I'm a veteran midi user, and I hadn't realised this at all..... I thought that the "connect eventide device by midi" dialog indicated the port the devices should be connected to, so in my midi router I merged them to that port. This messed everything up including the iCM4+ which I needed to restart several times. The devices should really not share ports!

But now that it works, I couldn't be more happy! Thanks for your support, and awesome sounding products.

Cheers

Dirk

bohan's picture
Eventide Staff
bohan
Joined: Jan 9 2018
Posts: 752
bohan
April 16, 2019 - 02:52 pm

pinup57 wrote:

But now that it works, I couldn't be more happy! Thanks for your support, and awesome sounding products.

You're welcome. I'm happy that worked out for you.