Vsig Problems (Eventide DSP4000)

Login to Post to Forums

You must be logged in to the Eventide website in order to post to our forums. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. You may also reset your password.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
period123

Vsig Problems (Eventide DSP4000)

January 26, 2016 - 02:00 pm

Hello,

I want to start programming the DSP4000 not on the screen anymore, but via Vsig. The problem though is that I am repeatedly getting weird errors that make no sense in the context of the patch (for example stuff like "don't know about operator type xx in line x" while line x is usually the last line that says tails". Another problem is that when I start Vsig for the first time, I can only choose one MIDI In Device and have to unplug all the ones I don't want to use in order to be able to select the right one. Just a small inconvenience (compared to the other problem which makes Vsig unusable), but it might be connected to it.

I've tried redownloading the DBase, reinstalling Vsig numerous times, used an XP emulation once and several different MIDI-Interfaces, but the problem persists. May it be a hardware problem?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: While I'm at it, there's another problem (but not related to this one): I get memory errors when using the Oscillator module, anybody else been having this issue? 

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose

We can't give much support

January 28, 2016 - 11:09 am

We can't give much support for these older system - in particular I don't know if the current Vsig supports them, and I don't have one around to check it.

That said, we can try. It would be helpful if you could give more information:

1) Please give FULL text of error messages, not this xx stuff.

2) Please give an example sigfile.

3) Are these errors repeatable, or do they happen randomly.

4) What OS are you using ?

5) What memory errors are you getting and from where ?

6) Have you tried a different computer ? If not. please do.

My initial guess is that it is a communications problem - the DSP4000 MIDI will probably either work or not.

period123

Thanks for the reply.

January 28, 2016 - 02:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.

1) Please give FULL text of error messages, not this xx stuff.

So I created a very simple easydelay-patch (downloading the DBase etc. worked out fine + downloading patches from the DSP4000). I then added a sequencer, tried to send it to the DSP4000 and I get this error: "don't know about an operator type '68' ERROR- no operator of type 68. Line 5" Line 5 doesn't exist in that patch. If I delete the sequencer module and try to use different modules, I get a different error (which usually refer to the last line (Tails) or a line that doesn't exist). I reworked the patch to a simple combfilter-patch, here the new error: "don't know about an operator type 'ytaps' ERROR- no operator of type ytaps. Line 4"
Getting patches from the DSP4000 on my PC works flawlessly with no errors whatsoever. 

2) Please give an example sigfile.

The easydelay-patch:

HEAD adc easytaps-left easytaps-right "Multitap Delay" "  mtap" 2 easytaps-obj adc-nullobj ;=25,-50,100,0
ADD mono adc-left adc-right ;=125,25,100,0
EASYTAPS easytaps 1 mono-out 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 ;=275,25,100,0
TAIL factory

The comb patch:

HEAD adc comb-out comb-out "Multitap Delay" "  mtap" 2 comb-obj adc-nullobj ;=25,-50,100,0

ADD mono adc-left adc-right ;=125,25,100,0

COMB comb 1 mono-out 0 -1 ;=250,25,100,0

TAIL factory

3) Are these errors repeatable, or do they happen randomly.

They happen randomly after a little while. I could download a different patch, add a completely different module and play around with it, and it might work for a few minutes, but at some point the error will occur (in different form). As soon as the error occurs, sending patches to the DSP becomes impossible, it doesn't matter if I download one from the DSP4000 and tweak it or if I create a new one. Sending patches always fails after the first error unless I delete the Database-file and redownload it.

4) What OS are you using?

I'm using Windows 10 64bit at the moment, but I also tried it on a Windows XP 32bit emulation.

5) What memory errors are you getting and from where ?

Here the error (I only get it when I'm using the Oscillator module on the DSP4000):
An address error has occurred.
Program Counter: 0x000118FE
Status Register: 0010000000000000
Please write these down and reboot.

When I rebooted the unit, I got the error again, so I was forced to clear the internal programs and the setup (with the 8 key when starting up).

6) Have you tried a different computer ? If not. please do.

I am currently installing it on another XP emulation on my Mac laptop. Will give a feedback later on if it works or not.

period123

Edit: Tried it on the Mac

January 28, 2016 - 03:04 pm

Edit: Tried it on the Mac (with XP emulation). Everything worked out fine and at some point (again randomly) I get this error: "don't know about an operator type 'age' ERROR- no operator of type age.Line 8" Again, Line 8 being the "tail"-Line.

So it doesn't work on the Mac either.

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose

I'm guessing that you have a

January 29, 2016 - 10:39 am

I'm guessing that you have a communications problem sending stuff to the DSP4000, and it is losing or corrupting characters. This would explain all that you are seeing.

The DSP4000 is a 25 year old design, and is nowhere near as fast as a modern computer (it has an 8MHz processor, rather than 2-3000MHz), so you may just be sending stuff faster than it can handle it.

I don't really have a solution, unless you can find a MIDI interface that is slower, or can be "throttled." I am, alas, unaware of such a thing.

period123

nickrose wrote:

January 29, 2016 - 04:44 pm

nickrose wrote:

I'm guessing that you have a communications problem sending stuff to the DSP4000, and it is losing or corrupting characters. This would explain all that you are seeing.

The DSP4000 is a 25 year old design, and is nowhere near as fast as a modern computer (it has an 8MHz processor, rather than 2-3000MHz), so you may just be sending stuff faster than it can handle it.

I don't really have a solution, unless you can find a MIDI interface that is slower, or can be "throttled." I am, alas, unaware of such a thing.

Thanks, this sounds like a plausible explanation for the problem. I'll just stick to programming it on the screen for now.

Do you know what might have caused the other problem (the error on the DSP4000 when using the Oscillator module)? Not being able to use that module would be a bit sad.

Thanks in advance!

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose

My guess is that the

January 30, 2016 - 02:53 pm

My guess is that the OScillator issues were caused by the download problems. Try the same thing on the screen, and see if they reappear.

period123

nickrose wrote:

January 30, 2016 - 04:09 pm

nickrose wrote:

My guess is that the OScillator issues were caused by the download problems. Try the same thing on the screen, and see if they reappear.

Unfortunately these errors did appear when I was using the DSP4000 on the screen (didn't use Vsig). :(

nickrose's picture
Eventide Staff
nickrose

Sorry - I have nothing more I

January 31, 2016 - 02:38 pm

Sorry - I have nothing more I can add. Except, try different waveforms and other parameters.

jmmp

Which version of VSIG are you

March 11, 2016 - 01:01 am

Which version of VSIG are you running? I ran into similar problems recently when I was started connecting VSIG with my 4000, and I finally got everything working by using VSIG 1.53.

period123

JMMP wrote:

March 11, 2016 - 01:21 pm

JMMP wrote:

Which version of VSIG are you running? I ran into similar problems recently when I was started connecting VSIG with my 4000, and I finally got everything working by using VSIG 1.53.

I used the newest version, but kinda gave it up and resorted to using the patch editor. But it would be really amazing if your suggestion worked, can you tell me where you got that version? Can't find it on the net.

Big thanks in advance!

jmmp

You will need to run it on

March 13, 2016 - 12:41 pm

You will need to run it on your 32 bit emulation, as the program is simply not compatible with 64 bit windows programs. Inside of the folder, there is a file entitled "sigdb400.sbs". If your DSP4000 is any other version than 2.158, delete this file and use the MIDI-> get database function to pull the database from your 4000.

Make sure to download all five files, and place them all in the same folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/44rrzojsqyw8ifx/AAC96Fjq3-lCT-QrFbM1eXeUa?dl=0

Hope that helps!

period123

jmmp wrote:

March 15, 2016 - 03:05 pm

jmmp wrote:

You will need to run it on your 32 bit emulation, as the program is simply not compatible with 64 bit windows programs. Inside of the folder, there is a file entitled "sigdb400.sbs". If your DSP4000 is any other version than 2.158, delete this file and use the MIDI-> get database function to pull the database from your 4000.

Make sure to download all five files, and place them all in the same folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/44rrzojsqyw8ifx/AAC96Fjq3-lCT-QrFbM1eXeUa?dl=0

Hope that helps!

Thanks alot!

One question: Did you encounter a problem when trying to fetch the database from the 4000? It doesn't work for me with the 1.53 version ("Awating reply.."), but it works with the newer version. Device ID on the 4000 is set to 1 and the settings were the same in both instances.

jmmp

I did not have any errors

March 17, 2016 - 12:07 am

I did not have any errors getting the database using 1.53. I'm sure you did this, but double check that your MIDI I/O is properly configured inside 1.53, and delete the library I included (unless your 4000 is version 2.158). If it works in a newer version, there is no reason it shouldn't work in 1.53.

Does your 4000 show any signs of receiving MIDI from 1.53?

period123

jmmp wrote:

March 17, 2016 - 03:13 pm

jmmp wrote:

I did not have any errors getting the database using 1.53. I'm sure you did this, but double check that your MIDI I/O is properly configured inside 1.53, and delete the library I included (unless your 4000 is version 2.158). If it works in a newer version, there is no reason it shouldn't work in 1.53.

Does your 4000 show any signs of receiving MIDI from 1.53?

I did configure it properly within Vsig. Even tried setting the MIDI ID to 1, it doesn't really save that though, which probably doesn't matter as it may be set to that by default. The DSP4000 doesn't show any signs of receiving MIDi-Data. What I can do though is dump MIDI data onto Vsig, but not the internal files, because then I run out of memory. But trying to fetch data, whether it be the database or user files, doesn't seem to do anything. Only "Awaiting reply..." and no sign of anything on the DSP4000.

jmmp

In what you described, it

March 23, 2016 - 11:19 pm

In what you described, it sounds like the common factor is the MIDI send to the Eventide. I don't really have much else to add. Did you say what OS version your DSP4000 is?

period123

jmmp wrote:

March 24, 2016 - 08:25 am

jmmp wrote:

In what you described, it sounds like the common factor is the MIDI send to the Eventide. I don't really have much else to add. Did you say what OS version your DSP4000 is?

Yeah, it's version 2.000. It's midi send, yes. My midi interface signals that the MIDI data has been sent out, but it never arrives at the DSP4000. As if it rejects it.

Do you have any other old versions of Vsig I could try and use? Perhaps an even older version? Maybe that'll do the trick.

Thanks in advance.