You are here

Univibe algorithm?

Login to Post to Forums

You must be logged in to the Eventide website in order to post to our forums. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one. You may also reset your password.

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lorestone
Joined: Dec 11 2012
Posts: 1
April 06, 2018 - 11:15 pm

I am another Modfactor owner hoping for a Univibe algorithm. I would gladly give up the many unused (and to me useless) algorithms for a good Vibe. It's obviuosly an in demand effect. The Strymon Mobius has a Vibe setting. 

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
April 09, 2018 - 02:31 am

Even Boss MS-3 has a cool UniVibe-Algorithm :(

davebrubaker
Joined: Jul 20 2017
Posts: 32
May 27, 2018 - 01:09 pm

It's been four (count 'em) years since this thread began. I've got three H9s, so I'm obviously an Eventide fan. So, yes, it woud be great to have a proper univibe algo for the H9. But four years is a long, long time. So I won't hold my breath. I'm intigued by KC's idea of using multiple H9s (or MFs) to try and get something close or more interesting. I doubt I have the knowledge to do it properly, (and I don't have room for any more pedals on my board.) BUT if any of you who own two or more H9s/MFs have any suggestions that would be amazing. Maybe Eventide has a new algo for us in time for summer NAMM?

marcusm750's picture
marcusm750
Joined: Sep 26 2012
Posts: 63
May 30, 2018 - 08:54 am

I am sorry, Eventide, for what I have unleashed here.  To be perfectly honest, I don't even play in a Pink Floyd cover band anymore so I no longer use Univibe at all.  Still have my Shin-ei clones and the studio still has the "real deal."  I promise not to ask for this any more!  smiley

BakerySpecial
Joined: Sep 5 2015
Posts: 2
August 22, 2018 - 04:00 pm

Soooo..... Hows the Uni-vibe algo comming? :)

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
August 23, 2018 - 02:12 am

Bump :)

BakerySpecial wrote:

Soooo..... Hows the Uni-vibe algo comming? :)

nitefly
Joined: Dec 22 2009
Posts: 19
August 25, 2018 - 03:19 am

bronzejames2 wrote:

Is there anything in the works for a univibe effect to be in the h9? I'd say its a very important!!

Come on you lovely Eventide Boffins you can spend months on crappy distortion and fuzz stuff when what

we really want is a nice univibe, reworked chorus and some nice chewy flangers.

flamefork's picture
flamefork
Joined: Aug 7 2018
Posts: 10
August 26, 2018 - 06:58 am

nitefly wrote:

[...] crappy distortion and fuzz stuff when what we really want [...]

I know at least 2 people plus me who use H9 for dirt algos ~90% of time. And they're far from being crappy, IMO.

mistercharlie's picture
mistercharlie
Joined: Mar 26 2017
Posts: 79
August 27, 2018 - 04:22 pm
flamefork wrote:

nitefly wrote:

[...] crappy distortion and fuzz stuff when what we really want [...]

I know at least 2 people plus me who use H9 for dirt algos ~90% of time. And they're far from being crappy, IMO.

Agreed. H9 dirt is fantastic. Especially when passed through an analog dirt pedal.

It seems like folks who are so deep into perfect Univibe clones should just buy a Univibe clone.

Don’t get me wrong — I love a good vibe. But the H9’s strength is exploiting digital tech to make new sounds, not to copy old ones that have already been copied well enough already.

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
September 10, 2018 - 02:36 am

... and what about a switching lag by all this dirt algos?

mistercharlie wrote:
flamefork wrote:

nitefly wrote:

[...] crappy distortion and fuzz stuff when what we really want [...]

I know at least 2 people plus me who use H9 for dirt algos ~90% of time. And they're far from being crappy, IMO.

Agreed. H9 dirt is fantastic. Especially when passed through an analog dirt pedal. It seems like folks who are so deep into perfect Univibe clones should just buy a Univibe clone. Don’t get me wrong — I love a good vibe. But the H9’s strength is exploiting digital tech to make new sounds, not to copy old ones that have already been copied well enough already.

rograt
Joined: Oct 6 2018
Posts: 5
October 06, 2018 - 02:38 pm
gkellum wrote:

Sorry no one from Eventide has responded to this Univibe thread.  We've been talking about it, and we're planning on having someone take a look at this and try to figure out how hard of a modeling problem this will be.  This won't be our next algorithm, but given how many people have been asking for it, we're going to look into it.

As an owner of an original 60s unit (and a few Fulltone versions) I would add that the half phaser, half chorus effect is crucial to me. The Boss MD500 does a passable simulation which I ride with the expression pedal. It was arguably the thing that tipped me towards the Boss unit and away from others. That said, there’s a low end throb that isn’t there when the speed is high so there’s scope for improvement.

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
November 07, 2018 - 07:50 am

Sad-sad-sad... a new firmware version has been released but still any trace from univibe... :(((

nitefly
Joined: Dec 22 2009
Posts: 19
November 07, 2018 - 11:30 am
bansta wrote:

Sad-sad-sad... a new firmware version has been released but still any trace from univibe... :(((

“But we have a really usefull synth algo”... he said cynically whilst wiping an small tear from the corner of his eye.

llemtt
Joined: Oct 14 2011
Posts: 49
November 07, 2018 - 12:21 pm

Given the Eventide algorithm philosophy it will never happen...

Can you mention an Eventide algorithm named "Electric Mistress", "Leslie", "Carbon Copy", "Fuzz Face",...

Eventide algorithms are more general, more tweakable, more innovative,... I don't know any of them developed to replicate the sound of a specific "effect".

The Univibe is actually a four stage phaser but unfortunately the Phaser algorithm is not tweakable enough to truly sound like an Univibe.

A Phaser with control to individually spacing and modulation of the notches will come really close to the Univibe sound.

cheers

 

nitefly
Joined: Dec 22 2009
Posts: 19
November 08, 2018 - 12:14 pm

llemtt wrote:

Given the Eventide algorithm philosophy it will never happen...

Can you mention an Eventide algorithm named "Electric Mistress", "Leslie", "Carbon Copy", "Fuzz Face",...

Eventide algorithms are more general, more tweakable, more innovative,... I don't know any of them developed to replicate the sound of a specific "effect".

The Univibe is actually a four stage phaser but unfortunately the Phaser algorithm is not tweakable enough to truly sound like an Univibe.

A Phaser with control to individually spacing and modulation of the notches will come really close to the Univibe sound.

cheers

 

As a long time user of their products I wouldnt say they have a philosophy of copying stuff, Im not looking for a shinei knock off, I just want a simple 4 stage phaser with vibrato  that is useable. The vibraphaser doesnt cut the mustard. check back in the forum for updated delays and you'll find a reworking of the 'vintage delay'alg and the pure joy it brought for timefactor owners ( I still think its the best delay they have). Getting back to philosophy, I can remember some 8 years ago and you can check it out here, that we as a community asked them for a VerbFactor, or something of that kind and we eventually got 'Space' so asking for something can pay off.

Jonkaille
Joined: Nov 30 2018
Posts: 9
December 04, 2018 - 07:20 am

maybe i can help you guys. I'm a big fan of univibe, but don't want to get another dedicated pedal on my board. 

I can achieve a very nice, organic uni vibe sound using the lunivibe preset, and a EHX small stone.

For better result, i push my amp a little bit so it's start to naturally overdrive, then add a little bit of spring reverb and if i want more, i add some delay (i own an old space echo that do the job).

I bought the H9 to replace my space echo when i gig outside home, it does the job very well and beyond. 

I may get another H9 soon i guess

Jonkaille
Joined: Nov 30 2018
Posts: 9
December 04, 2018 - 10:08 am

I'v recorded some stuff to show you how it sounds. 

Gear used : Fender Jaguar into a Marshall Jubilee 2525, factory lounivibe preset + EHX Small Stone + roland space echo with reverb & delay (you can replace it by any reverb/delay unit) recorded with SM57.

No post recording effect or eq

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0VxCDEpJvnU

and this is step by stp how ! build the sound : 

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0yXHPbdd4mN

Have fun !

mjahoger
Joined: Sep 20 2018
Posts: 33
December 07, 2018 - 05:32 am

Jonkaille wrote:

maybe i can help you guys. I'm a big fan of univibe, but don't want to get another dedicated pedal on my board. 

I can achieve a very nice, organic uni vibe sound using the lunivibe preset, and a EHX small stone.

For better result, i push my amp a little bit so it's start to naturally overdrive, then add a little bit of spring reverb and if i want more, i add some delay (i own an old space echo that do the job).

I bought the H9 to replace my space echo when i gig outside home, it does the job very well and beyond. 

I may get another H9 soon i guess

 

Thanks for your suggestion. I have 2 H9s and will have a look whether a Small-stone like preset in the second H9 will give me similar results. Do you already have a Smallstone-like preset for the H9?

William Middlemiss
Joined: Jul 25 2018
Posts: 19
December 07, 2018 - 08:16 am

Jonkaille wrote:

I'v recorded some stuff to show you how it sounds. 

Gear used : Fender Jaguar into a Marshall Jubilee 2525, factory lounivibe preset + EHX Small Stone + roland space echo with reverb & delay (you can replace it by any reverb/delay unit) recorded with SM57.

No post recording effect or eq

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0VxCDEpJvnU

and this is step by stp how ! build the sound : 

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0yXHPbdd4mN

Have fun !

 

Thats pretty good :)  

elmoreh13
Joined: Oct 31 2017
Posts: 1
December 07, 2018 - 11:38 am

nitefly wrote:
bansta wrote:

Sad-sad-sad... a new firmware version has been released but still any trace from univibe... :(((

“But we have a really usefull synth algo”... he said cynically whilst wiping an small tear from the corner of his eye.

 

Yes, and now we don't need to run out and all buy keytars. cool

kcardita
Joined: Dec 7 2015
Posts: 7
December 07, 2018 - 11:37 pm

I commented on this  about 2 years ago......    Since then I have :

1.  about 2 yrs ago I got tired of waiting for Eventide and bit the bullet  and purchased a Drybell Vibe Machine.  It has got "that sound" - with all of the classic uni-vibe trobbing and  nuances..... a glorious pedal

2. After another 6 months I have moved back into the digital domain got an AxeFx IIXL   -  sold it  in less then a year to upgrade to the AxeFXIII .  The AxeFxIII has a very convincing univibe setting in their phaser block.  I have compared it side by side to the Drybell and it is pretty close 

3  Recently I have sold my H9 STD.  I kept my  H9 MAX (for the time being) as I am  tring to find a reason to use it with my AxeFxIII.

Have a chuckle when this thread gets resurected and was glad that I did not wait for a solution .....

In an earlier post I commented that it was a "hard" algo to do in the digital domain -- Fractal Audio (aka Cliff Chase) figured it out -- I am confident that guys at Eventide could do it with the H9 -  I guest its just a matter of priority ...... 

 Maybe one day I will get around to updateding my H9 and check out the new synth algo :)

 

 

Jonkaille
Joined: Nov 30 2018
Posts: 9
December 08, 2018 - 03:00 am

Thanks for your return guys.

I'm sorry, i don't have a Small Stone preset for H9.

I use the real thing, Small stone is pretty cheap 2nd hand.

Lucky guys who got 2 H9, i planed on getting a second H9 too... until i found a Yamaha CP-70 yesterday !

 

Jonkaille
Joined: Nov 30 2018
Posts: 9
December 09, 2018 - 04:31 pm

kcardita wrote:

I commented on this  about 2 years ago......    Since then I have :

1.  about 2 yrs ago I got tired of waiting for Eventide and bit the bullet  and purchased a Drybell Vibe Machine.  It has got "that sound" - with all of the classic uni-vibe trobbing and  nuances..... a glorious pedal

Your post could cost me 340€. Cannot resisting this small univibe. 

My H9 trick with a small stone sounds cool, but the Kruno Domaćinović demo of the drybell made me drooling. Thats exactly what i was looking for, a univibe clone with a small footprint and photo cells/bulb.

Just saw an image of the circuit, it looks they made a real clone with add on cool feats

kcardita
Joined: Dec 7 2015
Posts: 7
December 10, 2018 - 04:42 pm

Jonkaille wrote:

Your post could cost me 340€. Cannot resisting this small univibe. 

EXACTLY  - that's what the demos did for me !!!!   -  If you want a small foot print with authentic sound/throb - it does not get better then the VibeMachine 

Gofor it -  I never looked back :)

llemtt
Joined: Oct 14 2011
Posts: 49
December 11, 2018 - 03:59 am

kcardita wrote:

Jonkaille wrote:

Your post could cost me 340€. Cannot resisting this small univibe. 

EXACTLY  - that's what the demos did for me !!!!   -  If you want a small foot print with authentic sound/throb - it does not get better then the VibeMachine 

Gofor it -  I never looked back :)

For anyone wanting to try something smaller and cheaper I suggest the Nux Monterey, for those not expecting it to sound like an authentic clone but at least 90% of it at 40€ it can't be beaten.

Micro pedal format, perfect in my 'micro size' 'carry around' pedalboard and it also features 'tap tempo' that I love!

It can also act as an analog fet buffer to your pedal chain.

What else?

cheers

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
December 12, 2018 - 06:08 am

I would say: Eventide, please, give us some Univibe-Algo! It could be not perfect at the beginigng :), but we need some!

Jonkaille
Joined: Nov 30 2018
Posts: 9
December 15, 2018 - 10:00 am

Ok, it effectively cost me a ton of money. 

Just bought and ever received a second hand V2 Vibe Machine. 

It's a little MONSTER, and sounds way better than the H9 for Univibe. 

Just spent hours of playing hendrix like stuff using the DryBell.

Plese EVENTIDE, give us a UNIVIBE algo, so i can sell the DryBell and buy a second H9.

thebluesman666's picture
thebluesman666
Joined: Aug 8 2016
Posts: 2
January 11, 2019 - 11:45 am

When canwe expect an H9 - UNI-VIBE ALGO from the Eventied Folks ?  It would be GREAT !

mistercharlie's picture
mistercharlie
Joined: Mar 26 2017
Posts: 79
January 14, 2019 - 02:43 am
thebluesman666 wrote:

When canwe expect an H9 - UNI-VIBE ALGO from the Eventied Folks ?  It would be GREAT !

I can’t believe this thread is still going. Maybe we could get some tow-hooks on our cars to hitch up some horses, too?

mistercharlie's picture
mistercharlie
Joined: Mar 26 2017
Posts: 79
January 14, 2019 - 02:43 am
thebluesman666 wrote:

When canwe expect an H9 - UNI-VIBE ALGO from the Eventied Folks ?  It would be GREAT !

I can’t believe this thread is still going. Maybe we could get some tow-hooks on our cars to hitch up some horses, too?

bansta
Joined: Feb 2 2018
Posts: 40
January 14, 2019 - 07:12 am

Uni-Vibe rules!

llemtt
Joined: Oct 14 2011
Posts: 49
January 15, 2019 - 04:59 am

Mistery... there was a post from Eventide on friday about univibe beta on H9000 but I can't no longer find it...

mjahoger
Joined: Sep 20 2018
Posts: 33
January 15, 2019 - 07:59 am

H9000 algorithm no. 6527 is named "Univibe". Maybe that is what you are refering to?

llemtt
Joined: Oct 14 2011
Posts: 49
January 17, 2019 - 09:06 am

mjahoger wrote:

H9000 algorithm no. 6527 is named "Univibe". Maybe that is what you are refering to?

Don't think so, I have found a copy of the post in email but given that it has been removed I won't disclose.

apalazzolo
Joined: Apr 30 2019
Posts: 8
May 03, 2019 - 11:44 pm

The Holy Trinity in the area is fuzz, echo, and univibe; individually and any combination of the three.  Eventide already nailed the first two in other algos. If they can nail the univibe sound then the combination will be an epic trippy-hippy algo.  Even tide can do it.  It's just a matter of time.

Robert Keeley has the Dark Side (digital) pedal directed to exactly this and it sounds great.  So far, though, the pedal only has the processing power to offer two of the three at any given time.  It does show that digital can produce an excellent univibe.

 

llemtt
Joined: Oct 14 2011
Posts: 49
May 06, 2019 - 04:26 am

apalazzolo wrote:

So far, though, the pedal only has the processing power to offer two of the three at any given time.

Right, not enough dsp power on H9 to deliver an high quality univibe.

seanmassarrojos
Joined: Dec 20 2016
Posts: 1
May 09, 2019 - 06:53 pm

Another vote for univibe. It's probably my favourite effect on the Strymon Mobius.

Univibe and warped vinyl type algo would be top of my wishlist for my H9.

All in all though the H9 is a fantastic pedal - incredibly versatile. 

don1960lp
Joined: Sep 2 2016
Posts: 1
May 13, 2019 - 10:27 am

New owner of an H9 here and just read through the thread. Very unhappy that the Eventide folks are not providing any useful feedback on this topic - even a reply along the lines of "We tried. It can't be done with digital to our standards." would be better than nothing. This is disappointing.