- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Sample Rate question Reply To: H9 Sample Rate question

jsaliga
Fender17 wrote:

My agument is that no sensible person would sort out certain pedal (made by renoved manufacturer) only based on samplerate it uses, without trying it out.:-)

You’re preaching to the choir.

Quote:
Higher samplerate may bring better sound, but it may also bring worse sound if not engineered well, if algorithms used are poor, and so on. I may patch 192 kHz/32 bit pedal for you, but I give you garranty that it will sound terrible at best. 😉

That’s a non-sequitur.

Quote:
Have you tried H9 in person?

I don’t need to.  It is a very crowded and competitive market.  I don’t need to try every single effects pedal on the market.  I narrow the contenders to a list of products I want to try based on features, reviews, and yes, specifications (such a dirty word around here).  What I do not do is go through a buying process that meets with the approval of someone on the internet who I don’t know.  The only person I am interested in pleasing with my equipment purchases is me.  And for the record I never said the Eventide sounded bad.  What I did say is that it has poor fidelity and I stand by that assertion.  You might care to take a look at this…

https://www.cco.caltech.edu/~boyk/spectra/spectra.htm

From a fidelity perspective I consider 24bit/96KHz the absolute bare minimum.  There are plenty of excellent effects pedals with DSPs that use a 96KHz sampling rate.

Quote:
I a not Eventide fan, but I have technical educaton and I know that implementation is quite often more important than datasheet numbers.

I have two degrees: one in electrical engineering and another in computer science.

Quote:
And that things often surprisingly work very well even thought one may thing it may not work well. Engineering is mosly about compromises and the result is, what counts, not the means used to gain the result…

Meaningless doublespeak.

Let’s just agree to disagree.  I have lost all interest in taking this exchange any further.  Feel free to have the last word if you must.