I don't know why you want to get pristine tones slightly 'messy', but here are some nice ideas…
1. Klon Centaur Overdrive: people love this thing – Google it and check out the feedback.
2. Keeley pedals: again, research them.
3. Ethos pedal: some people think this is a little bit of Dumble tone in a box.
4. Radial Tone Bone pedals: made in Canada, used by many top players (uses 12AX7's, but I use one to slam my Lone Star & Lone Star Specials and it's great).
5. Damage Control pedals: dual 12AX7's and highly rated.
Quest forth and let me know-
Bobby D. – Chicago