Unclean the ‘factors?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Unclean the ‘factors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      discospring

This question isn't a criticism of the 'Factors. I'm glad they sound pristine as i'd rather add my own dirt if I want it. But i'm interested in any opinions on how to go about it: a pedal to place after the 'Factors to degrade or warm up the sound in a musical way.

I run MF & TF into a Boss DD-20 (which does warm and bloat the sound when its on) into a Fender HRD (which i'm about to get biased as its too piercing right now, i'm sure this'll help a lot).

I know little about OD/Distortion/Boost pedals. Pedals with tubes inside appeal but i've read some convincing forum arguments claiming that many of them are basically snake oil.

Any opinions appreciated!

guitardr

I don't know why you want to get pristine tones slightly 'messy', but here are some nice ideas…
      1. Klon Centaur Overdrive: people love this thing – Google it and check out the feedback.
      2. Keeley pedals: again, research them.
      3. Ethos pedal: some people think this is a little bit of Dumble tone in a box.
      4. Radial Tone Bone pedals: made in Canada, used by many top players (uses 12AX7's, but I use one to slam my Lone Star & Lone Star Specials and it's great).
      5. Damage Control pedals: dual 12AX7's and highly rated.
      Quest forth and let me know-
      Bobby D. – Chicago

discospring

Thanks for those suggestions, i'll check them out.

I suppose by unclean I mean two things: literally smoothing the digital edge off, and imparting a small amount of unpredictability. This would be the icing on the cake – for me the programmability/portibility of a 'Factor vastly outweighs its analogue equivalents, every time.

Cheers

I recomend a EPpre pedal. It's an Echoplex preamp in a pedal.

discospring

Interesting…an Echoplex pre-amp. People seem to be putting these before their delays. Have you tried one with a 'Factor, and where would you put it?

Your suggestion led me to the Ulbrick Megalodon, also interesting but more of a boost. Thanks.

I haven't tried a EPpre but I have a real echoplex and with the preamp after the 'factor it adds a little compression and warmth. The other thing you can do is run the 'factor in front of the amp instead of in the effects loop. I found the digital delays just too clean to be used in the loop. 

diegoarts

Hi, what i can recommend is an Electro Harmonix LPB2UBE Stereo Preamp(http://www.ehx.com/products/lpb-2ube). I use this one to record and before my crate powerblocki and it adds warmth, definition, tone and – if you want grit! and – it's stereo, which is very important, as the factors are stereo themselves. great pedal, for live AND recording.
      i use it as the last in chain when i record directly into my pc! sounds like amp recording!

sounds like you might want the damage control boxes instead, they have tube overdrive built in, personally i like having dirt seperate

however… here's some ways to get a little dirty… the vintage delay you can turn down the bits so it sounds kind of old and crusty, on delay in general turn up feedback and slur/smears/spreads

on the modfactor i think the retro tremolo or one of the trems has overdrive for the xknob or intensity knob, maybe it's bias trem i don't remember offhand… one fun thing is you can assign an expression pedal to that knob and then you can turn the grit on gradually

discospring

Thanks for these suggestions, i'm investigating them…

I got lots of other options suggested at http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/151867-always-pedal-warm-up-digitals.html

Shane – i've just been experimenting with these MF-after-TF effects. Blimey. My next purchase will be loopmaster's effects sequence reverser!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

hi!

Good to see another tdpri user here tooBig Smile

there are a few of us here.

Cheers

BMF

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.