- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes We need a new Eventide Stompbox Power Supply Reply To: We need a new Eventide Stompbox Power Supply

badmelonfarmer
Participant

yes9310:

I'm not sure what you mean about the polarity reversing part but this is like how the Line 6 Tone Core pedals are. You put one on and it's fine but put 2 and you can actually hear the effect running even when it's switched off and get lots of hum. This is because there's no internal transformer and why the Factor boxes needs that giant sized adapter because the transformer is in the adapter. That's another reason why the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 allows you to run up to 2 Line 6 pedals because their supply has isolated outputs where the other one must not have isolated outputs or you wouldn't get the hum because they share the same power feed where isolated outputs have their own dedicated clean power.

See some pedals like the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man used be have an AC cable coming directly out of the unit because the transformer was internal, but having the transformer right up near the circuit board caused them to have hum-noise from being too close together. So they switched it to having that big 24v external adapter to keep the transformer away from the circuit board and which is what the Factor pedals do. Same principle appies if you sit your wah pedal or high gain type pedals near your power supply you'll get more hum because it's too close to the transformer's magnetic power. Here's an interesting short read on how transformers actually work sp you can see why having it too close to any high gain type pedal can cause noise problems http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/how_it_works/transformer.html

by polarity reversing I mean reversing negative and positive in the cable.

yes the issue is exactly the same as the tonecore boxes from line 6 in that they need to be isolated from each other. this is one of the reasons I am looking to shift my verbzilla.

Cheers

BMF