We need a new Eventide Stompbox Power Supply

Home Forums Products Stompboxes We need a new Eventide Stompbox Power Supply

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 84 reply threads
  • Author
      matta
      Participant

Am I the only guy who hates wallwarts!

I own a Time and Modfactor pedal and plan on getting a PitchFactor as well… but these darn power supplies are the bane of my life!!!!

They take up almost as much space on my floorboard as a stombox does!

I understand they need a hefty VA rating but why not make a standalone PSU with an oversized trafo that can feed 2-3 of the pedals?

Since we are looking at 9VDC add a few extra sockets for BOSS type pedals to boot, have it power of a single IEC connector and help me gain some much needed real esate back!!!!

Anyonelse feeling me on this?

Cheers

Matt

Burger666

Yes, I feel your pain, brother. I'm a gigging muso who flies a couple of times a week and has the luxury of a reasonably capable road crew, as well. I love my TimeFactor and ModFactor but as you've pointed out the power issue negates their usefulness and sonic value. It's just too damned finicky and fraught with danger in a rushed stage changeover scenario. So sadly, they stay at home and are never used live unless the gig is extremely local (rare) and I have the time to set them up myself.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

yep! add me as a +1

the only option I can see is using a 1spot per Eventide stompbox, that gives you 500ma extra per 1spot for running other pedals

but it would be nice to see one Big Momma to feed all the stomps!

Cheers

BMF

nobody likes warts especially the kind that wart on the wall at least put a cord on it so you can fit plugs other into your stip

i have a supa charger but i haven't tried powering the eventides with it don't want to risk it

a stronger cable would be nice too, or a way to chain them i have 2 warts one for mod one for time

John01W

Voodoo lab had a neat new power supply at namm this year. Kind of a smaller mini pedal power called the pedal power ISO5. It has 5 outputs, the last one will power the eventide stompboxes. It's a neat little box and should be on the cheap and noiseless and ground isolated. If you have other pedals it will power some of those too on the 4 other outputs. VL is good stuff and protects the pedal too.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi,

Agree with you!

There is the diago power suply that is rated at 3000mA which is nearly twice that of the 1spot.

They also have a great webpage with compatability and current draw ratings.

Respect to "cacibi" for finding the page.

Cheers BMF

guitardr

Amen…
      I posted another 'non-rant' on another thread here tonight.
      I've seen some interesting alternatives in powering pedalboards that use the MF & TF pedals.
      1. Burkey Flatliner Pro (only 1 domestic dealer)
      2. Diago Powerstation (no domestic dealers so far)
      3. A couple of players using two 1-Spots: one for each pedal with a reverse polarity plug.
      4. Same with the Godlyke PSA.
      All the above require using a reverse polarity plug (comes in the kit with each PS).
      Brad (tonefactor.com) and Dan (pedalgeek.com) are very helpful. 1-Spot has 1700ma, Godlyke has 2000ma.
      Sleuth forth!

Fwiw, I'm running my ModFactor and TimeFactor on two Diago Powerstations…capacity suggests I can run both 'Factors from one Diago but I already had a couple so why not? Smile

parsky1

I know your pain. I had to buy a short splitter for the AC pass through on my Pedal Power and velcro the Wallwarts to the bottom of my Pedal Train Board.

If Eventide would just state what the typical and peak current draw of their stompboxes are it would be easy so see if other solutions could power them. 1200mA @ 9V seems like way too much unless they are using some ancient DSP

The reason all pedals use a Wallwart is because it is easier for the manufacturer to design a product that doesn't "directly" plug into the AC mains. Anything that connects to AC power has to be extensively tested and so it is easier to just purchase OEM Wallwarts whose design has been tested and certified than to do all the testing for the entire stomp box.

I am surpirse that more manufacturers aren't trying switching power supplies that contain no transformer. http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=7490

Mr_Clean

I use this: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PSU-HSB-ALL.aspx

Its small and work great, no issues at all. I use 2 one each for NF & TF . Combined they are the size of 1 std wall wart, cheers

digitalkettle:

Fwiw, I'm running my ModFactor and TimeFactor on two Diago Powerstations…capacity suggests I can run both 'Factors from one Diago but I already had a couple so why not? Smile

Just following-up…

I tried running both 'Factors daisychained from the same Diago and they didn't like it. No problem with function but some interference was present in the audio.

jlearman

Can't agree with this thread more… I'm a musician in NYC, which means carrying my pedalboard to all my gigs.  The weight of timefactor + modfactor is enough…but add in wall warts… and my vodoo laps psu (since the TF warts won't power anything else) and it just gets rediculous.  My factors stay at home now unless I'm playing a gig that's big enough to have transportation to/from. 

I really don't understad these pedal power wars… it's like everyone wants to have a different power supply because they think they'll sell more wall warts.  Just because we're musicians doesn't mean we're retarded.

Is there a way to "beef up" the voodoo labs to work with the Eventide pedals?

parsky1

No, I have opened up the Pedal Power 2 and it could not beef it up very easy.  The regulators on the 100mA outputs are very small (TO-92 package) and cannot handle a lot of power.  I believe the part is the common LM317 Voltage regulator.  The 2 "high" current outputs have a larger regulator in what I believe is a TO-220 package, but there is no heatsink on these parts so I doubt they can handle too much more.  The other issue is the current rating of each of the secondary windings on the transformer.  I bet Voodoo labs didn't leave a lot of extra headroom there either.

guitardr

Our options as of 'now'…
      1. Burkey Flatliner
      2. Diago (no domestic dealers so far)
      3. Use a 1-Spot with CL6 adaptor for each unit
      4. Godlyke's are noisy.
      Wait till the Voodoo Versa & ISO-5 hit the market or the brain trust here @ E-Tide come up with a savior.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Am I missing something?

I checked out the  "Burkey Flatliner" online and it seems each output is rated at 200ma and you can get a mod which looks like a Y cable using up two outputs to give you 400ma into a single input.

They also are very expensive.

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi,

I just got a reply from diago on this question too, they confirm that multiple factor boxes don't work well when daisychained on the same diago.

They are working on a product that may address this. (nofurther details)

so that's the Diago off the list too Sad

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer:

so that's the Diago off the list too Sad

Unless you've got two! Party!!!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

i dont have 1 Embarrassed

I'm getting a pitchfactor too, so not gonna buy 3 of em

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer:

I'm getting a pitchfactor too, so not gonna buy 3 of em

Point taken…and they all have to plug into a mains socket somewhere.

I got a PP2+ and two Diagos all mounted on the underside of a PedalTrain Pro…all plugged into a 4-way power strip (also under-mounted)

Got to watch for interference with all that going on.

guitardr

Here's the score so far on this touchy subject…
      1. Diago's are subject to noise, costly when you have to use one to each E-Tide pedal. And you have to order from someone across the pond so to speak.
      2. Burkey's need to use adaptors or 3-way daisies (3 X 200ma jacks) off their unit to power one E-Tide unit (Flatliner Pro). Only one dealer in the US too.
      3. Wait till our boys here @ E-T come up with a solution/product.
      4. Use two 1-Spots w/ their CL6 adaptors per each E-Tide you have.
      5. Wait till Voodoo Labs get their new Versa & ISO-5 out in the daylight.
      Power strips need to be used with #'s 1 + 4.
      Whew…this is all too exhausting.

guitardr:

3. Wait till our boys here @ E-T come up with a solution/product.

For the electrically aware, this product would have to be called the 'PowerFactor' Wink

ceedee1954

Would this work?

http://store.gravitech.us/waadposu9v60.html

It`s cheap,lightweight and regulated.

No…only gives 1A. The 'Factors spec 1200mA.

Also, I believe the barrel connector should be 2.5mm.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ceedee1954:

Would this work?

http://store.gravitech.us/waadposu9v60.html

It`s cheap,lightweight and regulated.

It might power 1 unit, but based on the specs it would not power 2 or more.

the eventide power supplies are rated at 1200 mA each and the the link you posted is rated a 1A

1A = 1000 mA

Cheers

BMF 

ceedee1954

Apparently the TF doesn`t need 1200 ma. Burkey only uses 600 ma on the Flatliner to power it and Diago,I believe has it listed at 500 ma.I only posted this device because it is a lot lighter and more power strip "friendly" than Eventide`s PS.

jlearman

so….. if each _factor only uses ~500 to 600 ma, can't we daisy chain one of the 1200ma eventide power supplies?  Are the plugs, standard boss-size plugs, so that we can buy a generic daisy chain cable?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ahh, just looked at the Burkey site again and on the "Pro" there is 1 output that will allow upto 1000mA, so that still means it is not an option for powering more thant factor boxes.

dowda
      Participant

John,

Have you checked out further if the Voodoo lab will it work for the TF and MF.
      I was considering getting one for all of my Moog Pedals.

Thx,

DaveG.
      http://www.coraconnection.com

guitardr

Hey guys, as discussed in this thread and another here at the ET Forum…

Voodoo will be coming out with two new items: the Versa and the ISO-5 (as rumored at NAMM in Winter). And with the overwhelming need for smaller size, lighter weight warts for these units: I just know the braintrust here at E-Tide will also come up with something.

Due to lousy wall power at certain clubs, concert venues, et al: limiting the MF and TF to just 600ma is like putting a device on a diet or requirement ceiling. All it takes is ONE unregulated drop or surge and these precious little critters might become neutered circuit-wise. I think it's worth the wait to see what comes up to solve the wart issue.

kanifi

i'am using pedalpower 2 voodoo lab with timefactor and it works great on 5 and 6 switch on, usually for line 6 pedals etc .

kanifi:

i'am using pedalpower 2 voodoo lab with timefactor and it works great on 5 and 6 switch on

So you're using output 5 OR 6 with the switch 'ON'?!!

With the switch 'NORMAL',  you get 9v at 250mA

With the switch 'ON', you get 14.5v / 12v (unregulated) at 50mA / 200mA+

I spoke to VoodooLab recently about powering a T-Rex Roommate (12v at 300mA) and they said it might just work on output 5 or 6.

Can anyone add further comment on this?

thom
      Participant
      jlearman

Holy crap…do you see the size of that new voodoo labs versa?  It's gynormous…. definitely not an option for my board.

guitardr

Remember that they're also coming out with a unit called the ISO-5.
      I'm definitely going to check out the size of the Versa.
      This past weekend I hooked up two 1-Spot units with the L6 adaptors, along with a NASA-trained electrician standing by to check for any weirdness: none. This whole wart business has become tiresome. I hope that the brain trust here at E-Tide has seen that this thread is one of the fastest growing, most passionately debated ones.
      BTW: I used the MF & TF in the studio this past weekend and live: I could not have been happier with the truly rich sound of them.

guitardr

A quick addendum:
      I just did my fact finding, size comparison on the new Versa. It's a brick size-wise, and the kids at Voodoo could've added/revamped the Pedal Power II. You'd have to put any PedalTrain board on stilts if you tried to put the Versa under your board. Yikes!

Dreamsy

Another option would be the gigrig genetor no? it claims to provide 5 Amps of power, more than what is needed for the TF and MF at the same time

guitardr

Looks like our man in Texas might've mentioned a contender:
      GIG RIG GENERATOR – 5KMA OF POWER – Nice!
      By the looks of it it's small & compact @ a price tag of $99.00.
      Has any body hooked one of these things up to a pair or trio of "Factors"?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

GOOD FIND!!!!! Cool

Looks promising, for another reason too! they mention if you have noise issues with certain pedals on the same chain, they say you can put a "Virtual Battery" between the power and the pedal to isolate it!

So even if we can not use them on the same chain due to nosie, as long as the virtual battery can supply enough mA then we may be able to use these?

I have sent an email to them to ask this specifically.

Cheers

BMF

beagle

Looks good.
      Small enough.
      But,is this noise free?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

looks like the GigRig is off the list too for the moment….

this is the repy from them when I asked them about running multiple eventides on the same gigrig power generator…

"We are working on isolating the supply for the Eventides but the current
      draw is massive. We've just cracked the TC Nova delay so the Eventides are
      now in our sights!"

so from the testing people have done it looks like the key is isolation for each of the boxes.

Hope someone solves this soon

Cheers

BMF

mborbo
      Participant

I heard many people using the 12vDC T-Rex Fuel Tank power supply with time factor. And after many months of use no problem occurred.

I tested the durrent draw of the factor and it not exeed 410/420ma at 9 volts, even in intensive use or long delays. I didn't tested the looper function.

I think that the easy way to solve the problem is to contact some amp/guitar system builder and ask for a custom power supply with 3 or 4 regulated and isolated 1A outlets. Probably is the cheapest and better solution.

I also think that is absurd that a stomp uses such a big power supply. We are in 2009 not in 1969…

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Just found that one of the companies I use for some bits n bobs in the UK has effect supplies rated at 1500mA continuos with a 3000mA peak for under ?12

they are smaller than the other options, so at that price I have ordered one to try if it works and is quiet across the 3 Factors then great, even if I have to use 3 one for each factor then I will be happy!

If they are too noisy I can send them back and continue the wait!

I will post my findings when they arrive.

Cheers

BMF

beagle

Does CL6 adopter convert center negative to center positive?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

yes, I believe so. it is the one everyone uses with the onespot, diago etc.

Cheers

BMF

beagle

Thx BMF.

I will try it.

It is much smaller.

yes9310

Well this is not an all-in-one solution but close. It can power 8x9v Boss style pedals and has an AC outlet for either 1 Eventide Factor style box or several if you use an adapter and it's only $89.95, kind of a poor man's Voodoo Lab but dead quiet http://www.pedal-board.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

OK, done a quick test and I managed to power a single factor box with the power supply from Johnnyshreadfreak.com with a CL6 adapter from onespot.

http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12

there was no noticable difference in noise when using this power supply  as opposed to using the eventide.

the benefit of this suply is that it is arround 30mm thick so I can easily hide it under a shelf on my pedal board.

I could not try daisychaining more than one factor to see if I got the expected noise as I have not had the other CL6 adaptors delivered yet.

this solution may not suite everyone, but it looks like it will sort my issues out.

BTW, I have no connection to Johnny Shredfreak. I have ordered a few items off him in the past and been satisfied with the quality and service.

Cheers

BMF

Tone Jones

This post was started almost 2 months ago and noobody from Eventide has chimed in?

ceedee1954

Good point.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Re the Johnny ShredFreak power supplies….

they work with one power supply per Factor, as soon as you put another box in the chain it adds noise.

I am going to run with these power supplies and the polarity reversing adapters for the time being as they are easier for me to work with on my pedal board.

Once Diago, or another manufacturer bring out a singlesolution I will review the situation and see if I can consolodate it a bit.

Cheers

BMF

yes9310

I'm not sure what you mean about the polarity reversing part but this is like how the Line 6 Tone Core pedals are. You put one on and it's fine but put 2 and you can actually hear the effect running even when it's switched off and get lots of hum. This is because there's no internal transformer and why the Factor boxes needs that giant sized adapter because the transformer is in the adapter. That's another reason why the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 allows you to run up to 2 Line 6 pedals because their supply has isolated outputs where the other one must not have isolated outputs or you wouldn't get the hum because they share the same power feed where isolated outputs have their own dedicated clean power.

See some pedals like the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man used be have an AC cable coming directly out of the unit because the transformer was internal, but having the transformer right up near the circuit board caused them to have hum-noise from being too close together. So they switched it to having that big 24v external adapter to keep the transformer away from the circuit board and which is what the Factor pedals do. Same principle appies if you sit your wah pedal or high gain type pedals near your power supply you'll get more hum because it's too close to the transformer's magnetic power. Here's an interesting short read on how transformers actually work sp you can see why having it too close to any high gain type pedal can cause noise problems http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/how_it_works/transformer.html

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

yes9310:

I'm not sure what you mean about the polarity reversing part but this is like how the Line 6 Tone Core pedals are. You put one on and it's fine but put 2 and you can actually hear the effect running even when it's switched off and get lots of hum. This is because there's no internal transformer and why the Factor boxes needs that giant sized adapter because the transformer is in the adapter. That's another reason why the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 allows you to run up to 2 Line 6 pedals because their supply has isolated outputs where the other one must not have isolated outputs or you wouldn't get the hum because they share the same power feed where isolated outputs have their own dedicated clean power.

See some pedals like the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man used be have an AC cable coming directly out of the unit because the transformer was internal, but having the transformer right up near the circuit board caused them to have hum-noise from being too close together. So they switched it to having that big 24v external adapter to keep the transformer away from the circuit board and which is what the Factor pedals do. Same principle appies if you sit your wah pedal or high gain type pedals near your power supply you'll get more hum because it's too close to the transformer's magnetic power. Here's an interesting short read on how transformers actually work sp you can see why having it too close to any high gain type pedal can cause noise problems http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/how_it_works/transformer.html

by polarity reversing I mean reversing negative and positive in the cable.

yes the issue is exactly the same as the tonecore boxes from line 6 in that they need to be isolated from each other. this is one of the reasons I am looking to shift my verbzilla.

Cheers

BMF

yes9310

Yeah, as heavy as those Tone Core pedals are you'd think it had a whole power plant inside. haha

rstoneham

Hi all,
      Proud new TF owner here – although clearly I'm facing the same dilemma as everyone else on this thread.

Anyone seen this before…?

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm

It's masterlist of power supply solutions for pedals etc.
      It even refer to the Voodoo lab Versa & ISO 5 right at the end – although it also mentions there is no hard data at the moment.

Worth a look though.

R.

beagle

Thank you very much for your information,review.

I have interest with http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com prodocuts but couldn't find AC side cable.

Your power supply from him contained AC side cable?

Regards.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi beagle,

The unit does not come with the AC lead, he does sell them:-

http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13&zenid=07542b75d5f46db137485ca639d719df

but I had some knocking about int he house, being in IT I have these things all over the place.

they just use the standard fig 8 leads like you see on some laptops (toshiba) some radios etc.

Cheers

BMF

Jakob

I have a tc electronics Vintage Delay pedal which has a pretty small power supply. It uses 12 V dc and the power supply is rated at 1.25 A (1250 mA). It is a switching power supply like the Diago, so you can use it almost anywhere in the world (110-240 V). TC provides adapters which can be easily changed to make it suitable for the most common wall outlets (US, GB, Europe).

I don't know if it's technically possible, but it would be a great idea to try and use this kind of design for the Eventide factor psu. The supplied current in the TC psu is even higher (by 50 mA), let alone the voltage. There should be a way to do this. Or am I missing something completely?

beagle

Thx badmelon.

Maybe I already have one 🙂

I will check that URL anyway!

Regards

ralfl

I use my Burkey Flatliner Pro to power both my Factors and the remaining ten pedals -including a Whammy and MIDI gear from Access – and get no added noise at all.

Each Factor uses three of the 9 VDC outlets in parallel for a current of 600 mA (they don't draw more than this) – and there's still enough outlets and current left to power the other stuff on the board.

I know the Flatliner isn't that easily found stateside, and it's a brick – but seriously, it takes up a lot less real estate than 2+ wall warts + a PP2+, etc., etc.

Dreamsy

The gigrig has finished to design their adapeter for the Eventides it seems…

http://www.thegigrig.com/

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Interesting!

but hmmm looking at the price and size I do not think I would be any better off than with my solution. YMMV

looking at the costs, the adapters alone are more than 3 times the cost of my complete solution and then the cost of the GigRig and space of the GigRig. I do not think I will be any better off (Pedal Board real estate terms, let alone money).

I guess it depends on needs, if you have already invested in a GigRig then maybe…

Cheers

BMF

Dreamsy

I totally agree with you, as I understand the point of trying to get rid of the wall adapters, this solution seems me really too expensive, especially if you own the 3 factors ! I'll stick to the adapters for a while…

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

yeah it is an expensive solution if you own all three. also they seem fairly large too.

I am not convinced that the total space of three or those and a gearrig would be less that the wall warts supplied. I maybe wrong.

the one thing you would gain would be that it would may be easier to hide the gearrig solution, but at a cost.

rmaxwell

Thanks to all for posting the requests for an integrated power supply solution.  We are actively seeking a solution to this requirement and will keep you posted on our progress.

Thanks again for voicing your needs and requests.  We hear you!

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Great to know! thanks for lettign us know.

Cheers

BMF

Mr_Clean

Something the size of a Voodoo Labs pedal Power 2 (so for those of us with Pedal trains it easy to fit under the board !) , that also has several outlets for other lower rated pedals would be very cool. Either great that Eventide are looking at this.

thom
      Participant

I just ordered one. I don't think it is that large, and it allows the timefactor to be
      daisy chained if your supply has enough amperage. I agree it is pricey but I only need one for my timefactor. I also use Gigrigs virtual battery, which allows me to add a positive gound pedal to my (-ve ground) daisy chain, and it works brilliantly. Assuming it works I think it is a great solution. I will post with results…..

Meriphew

Add me to the list of those who think that the  wall wart is a joke. How about providing us with something that equals the caliber of the pedal itself. These are not exactly inexpensive pedals. Your customers should not be required to buy a suitable aftermarket power supply. Eventide should send out updated (more apporpriate) power supplies to registered owners when/if they become available (if Eventide doesn't update the power supply, I won't be buying anymore pedals from them – I currently own a PF and a TF).

thom
      Participant

I received my GigRig Timefactor adaptor today. I now have my timefactor powered by the daisy

chain from my Johnny Shredfreak power supply. It works very well and gets rid of that

awful, enourmous wall wart. This cost a lot of money however, and is absolutely the

last time I will spend money on a pedal with "unusual"  power requirements. I don't

understand why manufactureres seem oblivious to this, it is obvious isn't it?

As an example, I would purchase a Radial Loopbone right now if it could be powered

by a standard 9v supply rather than the esoteric 15v supply it requires.

marrrtinez
      Participant

Long time waiting for news about the integrated power supply solution!!!!!!! Sad

Please, can you add some light on the message????

Thanks

shood

Agreed – hoping to hear something on this front soon.  I have put off getting another 'Factor, I am not dealing with anymore of these monstrous adapters, and the current workarounds are not practical or economically feasible.

Any news, Eventide?

spacebar

Well if it's really a big deal you can get a custom supply made and they aren't as expensive as you might think especially if your considering a Versa or stuff like that get all 3 Factors with one power supply. check them out they do EXCELLENT! work are really nice guys.

go get a quote for what you need you'll be happy and only have 1 power supply for all your stuff no matter how odd ball it is

http://www.lasounddesign.net

They do this type of thing everyday

ceedee1954

One Spots work well!

hywelg

Dreamsy:

The gigrig has finished to design their adapeter for the Eventides it seems…

http://www.thegigrig.com/

I now have a PF and aTF so the gigrig adaptor is a bit ( actually no, its a lot) on the expensive side. If the Gigrig generator is capable of 5000mA what is to stop me just connecting the two pedals to the output of the generator? If I make my own distribution box with decent cable why would it not work I wonder? And whats the worst that could happen?

parsky1

Ground Loops, unless you like 60Hz hum as part of your tone Smile.  It is best to have each pedal on an isolated ouput  (Basically on its own transformer or transformer winding).

TubeAmped

I just picked up on of these to power up my Boss stomp boxes, Wah, tuner, and TimeFactor:

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/pedal_power_supplies/new_1_spot_combo_pack/

Later – Mike

T-Rex has the Fuel Tank Chameleon coming out relatively soon.

It looks promising spec-wise. Outputs are isolated, regulated, 300mA each, so you can use a "current doubler" cable to combine two into 600mA. The outlets switch between 9vdc and 12vdc (one switches between 9vdc and 18vdc).

I am suffering with the wall-wart on the ModFactor and then powering my TC Nova Drive and my 9v pedals from an ISO-5 at the moment. Will swap it out if the Chameleon comes out and manages to do the trick properly for me.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi Mike,

I would not hold up much hope as to being able to power TimeFactor with a OneSpot AND the others.

if you read back through this thread you will see it has been tried and as soon as you put that TimeFactor in the power chain you will get a lot of unwanted noise.

I tried all sorts of combination without any luck and had to go back to a dedicated PSU for the Factors.

the OneSpot works well for other things though, I still use one to power my Boomerang III, Expresion pedal "visiting" temporary pedals.

Cheers

BMF

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hey guys,

just stumbled on this tiny power supply.

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/micro-supply

DISCLAIMER…

it's 500mA .. some say that is enough for the Factors.

No connection to the company, not tried it as I am in the UK.

I take no responsibility for anything!

but at $15 it might be an option for some.

I guess you would need something like the L6 converter from OneSpot though to get the right polarity and barrel size.

Cheers

BMF

TubeAmped

Got the 1Spot in the mail (I guess it would be 'yesterday" now) and worked fine.  I used it with a MXR Distortion III+, Boss EQ Pedal, Boss Looper Pedal (the single one) and the TimeFactor – through a Vox AC4TV 10" and did not hear any noise.  Of course, this is my goof around rig (which is what I bought the 1Spot for).  Definitely no complaints here.  Ultimately, I think I will end up getting the mamma jamma Vodoo Labs one that fits into a Pedal Train.

Later – Mike

caveman
      Participant

badmelonfarmer:

Hey guys,

just stumbled on this tiny power supply.

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/micro-supply

I gave this micro sized supply a  try.  I put a new end on (2.5mm) and reversed the  polarity.. so far, working like a champ.  Can't vouch that it'll work for you or even recommend it, but it's working for me. Very small and light. Isn't heating up in the least, voltage measures 9.02 VDC loaded down.

I measured a power-on surge of 425 mA for the TF, then settling down to 320-330 mA or so after it boots up. .

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ccol!!Cool

Glad it worked for ya

Cheers

BMF

batflash

Here's something I posted earlier about a power supply that I had built for me by Joseph Logsdon of Logsdon Audio. I'm going on a couple of months now using it and have not had any problems. It powers my two Factor pedal, an Electro Harmonix Hog, my Line6 Verbzilla, Mi-Audio GI Fuzz, Tech21 Double Drive, Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter Trem, and also have an AC convenience outlet to power my odd pedals.

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/6251.aspx

For anyone interested in a small unit that will power their entire board I recommend this Joe's work.

Here's his ebay page to check out some of his 9v supplies: http://myworld.ebay.com/joseph2442/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bats

Hello,

Regarding powering, all Eventide Factor pedals need a 9V DC regulated power supply to operate properly. All of them draw a current around 330-360mA.
      A proper power supply for Eventide Factor pedals should be able to deliver a current of 400mA at stabilized and regulated 9V DC.

There are 3 popular dedicated power supplies for pedals on the market. These are the PP2+ from Voodoo Lab, BBE Supacharger and Mod-Tone Power Plant. None of these have outlets powerful enough to supply Eventide Factor pedals. Not even the new ISO-5 from VL. It has one 300mA section which is 100mA short.

Power requirements for pedals change and realizing that, we at CIOKS made three brand new products which form our professional range of dedicated power supplies for effect pedals. CIOKS DC10 is able to power three Eventide Factor pedals properly along with other standard 9V pedals. The AC10 can supply one along with a AC powered pedal at 9, 12 or 16V AC, also along with other standard 9V pedals. CIOKS TC10 power supply can power one Eventide Factor pedal along with 3 other mA-hungry pedals with a maximum current draw of 300mA and 4 standard 9V battery operated pedals. Please have a closer look at the specifications of these units on CIOKS web site.

If you have other questions regarding powering effect pedals, you’re more than welcome to e-mail me directly. I have more than 18 years experience in this field.

Best regards,
      Poul Ciok
      poul.ciok@cioks.com

Viewing 84 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.