- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Pitchfactor: harmonies sounding out of tune or flat Reply To: Pitchfactor: harmonies sounding out of tune or flat

wedelich
Eventide Staff

luca9583

I looked into this a little and I think I understand/hear what you are hearing. The actual quality of the pitch shifting is fine, that is, the harmony is correct. What you are hearing is an effect of the polyphonic/tracking-speed tradeoff decisions we had to make in porting our algoritms from the rack units (H8000, Eclipse, etc) to a stompbox. For a guitar stompbox application we erred on the side of it being more "polyphonic." However, there are some options we left open for the user to sway this tradeoff one way or the other. To get right to the point, there are two things you should try:
1. Put the unit in Synth-lead mode (this will track faster at the expense of some polyphony), what this does is raise minimum pitch that the pitch shifter will operator on.

2. With Harmodulator (or Diatonic/Quadvox, etc), add a psychoacoustically near-imperceptible amount of delay (~15-30 ms). This will give the "brains" of the pitchshifter more time to process.

I hope this helps, and if you want, I can go into more detail about this algorithm from the point of view of an H8000 or something, where a user would have more access to all the little tweakable parameters, which is something most studio engineers like. Of course, a stompbox with 10 knobs, an encoder, 3 footswitches, and a bizillion modes is still pretty dang tweakable!

Regards,
Russ