- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes 8 Step Program For Controlling Eventide Stompboxes Reply To: 8 Step Program For Controlling Eventide Stompboxes

brock
Participant

Verified by an EHX Staff member.

Other Random Updates:

– Dimensions of the 8 Step Program are 5.75 x 4.75 x 2.5 (in.)  146 x 121 x 64 (mm).

– Release date has been bumped to mid-April.  Auxiliary footswitch still says 'late March'.

– My simulation (above) should've used the MAX49's CV Out with voltage dividing as the most accurate test bed.  That test will be next, but I'm having too much fun exploring the original simulation.

– I've since included footswitch control over the sequence's Play and Stop functions.  It's very promising for one-shot LFO's, and bursts of parameter sequences that don't necessarily loop (for example, chromatic and diatonic 'bends').  It's similar to Aux switch control over a parameter, but with up to 8 discrete programmable steps, and not locked globally.

Quote:
set the sequencer to control the program number, and the sequencer step size to something larger than the beat size of the Pitchfactor, so that the changes in program do not always correspond to the same position of the beat.

Good point.  We've been discussing the 8 Step and ET Stompboxes in total lockstep.  The potential for isorhythms / polyrhythms opens up a whole world of variations.  I think this is a possible routing, but I see it happening in reverse order.

The 8 Step program has no MIDI Out; only CV / expression out.  So it's 'limited' to what can be programmed as an expression pedal destination.  But it does have MIDI In.  At the very least, that means MIDI Clock input.  And with 100 potential presets, it could match up nicely with the 100 preset configuration in the Stompboxes.  If it will receive Program Changes, the Stompbox (or MIDI controller) sends them, the 8 Step receives them, and each sequence could have a varying number of steps.

Your comment also brings up another good point:  A single Eventide stompbox could control the 8 Step Program in a 'loop'; effectively 'bootstrapping' its own expression pedal control.  The ET box transmits MIDI Clock, the 8 Step syncs to it, then returns synchronized sequences back to the ET box.  It would act like a single effect box; an extension of its own programming capabilities.