- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 – controlling Midi CC from Musicomlab EFX MKIV Reply To: H9 – controlling Midi CC from Musicomlab EFX MKIV

LA Keys
Participant

harmamusic:

When I tried this the cc value for tap tempo received on the first H9 wasn't converted to a midi clock setting. So it doesn't seem to work. That's why I was asking if this was a bug?

Do you got this working? If you enable midi clock output on the first H9 and set midi output to xmt it will transmit midi clock either from a physical pedal connected to it or from a received CC. On the second H9 you just need to enable receive midi clock. I guarantee that this is working.

Ok, so you basically got the main point of the second way: Setting the first H9 to midi xmit Instead of thru.

The problem with that is that anything sent from the MKIV will NOT be transmitted to the second H9… (because the first H9 is not set to thru). You then need the first H9 to map the change you want to do on the second H9. It now appear to me that it is the only solution since the MKIV is sending only one CC per switch.

To do this you will have to read about XMT CC (page 38 of the pdf manual). The most interesting part is about KB0 to KB9. This is very useful if you want the first H9 to repond to some parameters set on the MKIV but also to "re-send" those mapped parameters to the second H9. Very powerful, but a bit complex.

There's also a discussion about using a single expression pedal to control multiple H9 using this principle here:

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/9992.aspx

Sadly the main limitation is that while you can map parameters (virtual knobs), you cannot use  XMT MAP to map Program changes. (read manual page 40 about this).

Because of this I've always preffered the first solution (midi thru), but it's problematic to use if you can send only one CC per switch and also because the midi clock is not transmitted this way.

Well, there's actually a 3rd solution. It does involve using midi splitter and merger. It work this way: You first split the output from the MKIV. One output to the first H9, the second to a midi merge.

The first H9 is set to midi xmit, solving the midi clock problem. The output of the first H9 is then combined (merged)  with the original midi sent from the MKIV, allowing the MKIV to talk directly to both H9.  The H9s could be on the same or distinct channel.

If you're interested about this have a look at the midi-solution website:

http://www.midisolutions.com/

LA