- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Van Halen-First Album Reverb Reply To: Van Halen-First Album Reverb

brock
Participant

You don’t necessarily have to grab more algorithms right away.  It’s nice to have those options, but you might be able to cover it with what you have.  In a live context, and with guitar amps, some of those nuances between algorithms will get buried.  You can preview the ones that really interest you (5 min. / day), and determine what your ‘must-have’ algos are over time.

You can split the Wet / Dry in the H9 Core itself (newest firmware), if you’re running in mono.  In the preset below, I have Left / Channel 1 running wet (your Fender), and the Right / Channel 2 set to dry (the Marshall). There’s a section in the updated online manual on how to do this, and more information in the H9 Control app [Pedal -> General Settings -> Routing].  No need for another device.

If you like the EchoPlex inline with your wet amp, then turn the PRE DELAY settings in my presets from 100 ms. to 0 ms.  I was building that slap delay into the presets themselves.  Of course, if you have a better spot for the MXR, a PRE DELAY parameter is built-in to most H9 reverb algorithms.

So, you mentioned a factory “GuitPlate” preset.  Can I assume that you’ve added the Plate algo to your H9 Core? I didn’t reference that particular preset here.  I did more of an A-B test with my Room and Hall presets above, and tuned in a similar Plate preset by ear.  It might need some work, but it’ll give you a starting point.  The key is to disguise some of the very things that make it a Plate emulation.

While we’re on the subject of Van Halen, there’s a very powerful algorithm that comes with every H9 Core: H910 / H949.  Here’s a recent thread with settings for EVH-type spread detuning.  I can tell you that similar presets sound great in a two-amp / stereo setup.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/28731#comment-28731