- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Eventide Rose – Modulation Modes Reply To: Eventide Rose – Modulation Modes

AAgnello
Eventide Staff
pepeflores2003 wrote:

Much appreciated for your resnponse.

Those videos are really ace by the way. Short, concise and right to the point!

So far, I understand:

– The LFO modulates only the PITCH of the delay line

– When Rate is set to minimum (counterclockwise), the Rose enters 'Envelope Off' mode allowing the Depth Control to act as a simple detuner

– When Rate is set to maximum (fully clockwise), the Depth Control allows to sweep the delay to generate pitch fluctuations

However, I can't find a video where you explain all the different relationships available between the Rate and Depth Knobs to generate different effects depending on each of the five modulation sources available??

Could you explain this further?

I just find the effects generated quite unpredictable so far.. 

Thanks

Almost all modern digital effects pedals run their effects at a fixed sample rate and do their tricks (including pitch change) using digital signal processing techniques. Back in the pre DSP era, there were no sample rate standards and no ability to implement digital signal processing on live audio, so folks would design boxes with some simple memory for delay and vary the sample rate. Sweeping the sample rate is less predictable and controllable than using DSP techniques but it’s sonically different.

That's how Rose works. The sample rate changes to create modulation effects. Depth controls how much the sample rate changes. Rate controls how fast the sample rate changes. Changing the sample rate 'sweeps' the delay. Life gets interesting when you set Rose's delay to long values.

For example, if the delay is set to its low range (~20 msec) and you set depth to maximum, the sample rate will change dramatically but the delay will only vary from ~10msec to ~40msec. (These numbers are approximate. I'm riffing here.). Now, set the delay to its long range (5 seconds) and set the depth to maximum. The sample rate will still change dramatically but the effect of the sample rate changing will cause the delay to vary from ~2 seconds to ~10 seconds and you'll need to take dramamine.

It's the nature of this old school technique. Back in the day, you could kind'a do this but with much less total delay, much poorer audio quality and much less fun. Rose isn't for the faint of heart although I contend that its sound makes it a viable choice even if you choose to use it in simple ways – slap back echo, comb filter tone, etc.