- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Not getting stereo onTimeFactor when Dly Mix is on a single delay mode Reply To: Not getting stereo onTimeFactor when Dly Mix is on a single delay mode

joecozzi wrote:

strangerinusall wrote:

2 Moog synths (mono) -> Scarlett 8i6 -> TimeFactor -> Scarlett 8i6 -> monitors

Question about this setup: Are you using the Scarlett as a mixer that sends signal to the TimeFactor, or are you feeding the TimeFactor from an auxiliary send in your DAW?

If you’re connecting one synth to input 1 and the other to input 2, the TimeFactor perceives it to be a stereo signal, NOT A DUAL MONO PATH.

strangerinusall wrote:
1. When ‘Dly Mix’ is set to 12 o’clock I get proper stereo delay which is what I want. However, when I am using only A or B delay, then there is no longer stereo. Why is that? I check routing options in TimeFactor but I am not sure which one do I need to choose to always get stereo. Is there a way to make output always stereo even when using a single A or B delay?

Again, if you have one mono synth hooked up to each input, this is not going to work because the TimeFactor, upon sensing both inputs are connected, will treat the signal as a stereo signal, not two individual mono paths. In most algorithms, when DLY MIX is set to the midpoint, it hard pans the delays. If you’re only using the synth hooked up to the left side, you’ll only hear audio coming out of the left output.

strangerinusall wrote:

2. I thought it would be great to save some input/output slots on my Scarlett and use it like that: Moog synths (mono) -> TimeFactor -> Scarlett 8i6. However this combination works well when pedal is ON, however as soon as I turn it off, each synth goes into different left and right speaker. Is there not a way to mix both signals into one within Timefactor?

My response above applies to this question as well.

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I am using Scarlett as a mixer in this case, and not using DAW at all. I am not having synths hooked up, as Scarlett is hooked up to TimeFaktor, however using two cables, which makes it stereo input then I guess. So i assume the solution would be to simply use mono input into TimeFactor?

I just tried it and seems like I always get stereo when DLY Mix is set to midpoint, but when it’s not, it really depends on the delay type. Sometimes I get stereo and sometimes not. I assume a lot of delays simply cannot do stereo when only single delay is used or what is the reason?