ALTERNATE TUNING SYSTEMS – PITCHFACTOR?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes ALTERNATE TUNING SYSTEMS – PITCHFACTOR?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      axxis272

i would like to ask whether you are planning to release an update with alternate tuning systems (pure, pythagorean, meantone, wendy carlos etc.). i think this topic will be more and more important in the near future, since almost all the software instruments have microtuning options and i would like to be able to play the guitar in any alternate tuning system that exist.. please help! thanks!

NikosGuitar

i am not a dsp engineer,but i do believe that Eventide's pitch shifting algorithms serve different purposes than those that you mentioned,but it may better to wait an answer from an Eventide member.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      release an update with alternate tuning systems

Fascinating suggestion!

I'm a huge fan of using micro- & macrotonal scales or historically accurate tuning in software instruments.  I wonder if there is any way of applying a Scala type of overlay on the PF scale.  I would think that you'd almost have to 'borrow' the HarModulator's chromatic scale, then apply selective tuning to each scale degree in a Diatonic / Quadravox selection.

Now – to address how much user demand would justify the R&D …  We're back to the custom scale idea that pops up here often.  Perhaps it's something that can be considered in the reported H9-style editor for the Stompboxes.  Even one custom scale in the PF could be converted to a blues scale, Super Locrian, or Hirajoshi in a programmable editor environment.

Even if you're uninterested in alternative tunings, consider this:  Per-note detuning effects.

With the Mix set anywhere but 0% or 100%, each note played can have it's own pitch deviation in cents.  In other words, an adjustable MicroPitch effect that is controlled by the notes you play.   It's a killer effect on the software synths that I use.

Not to mention bringing a few more keyboardists into the fold with the ability to reflect an instrument's emulated and actual tuning.  I can see where it may be difficult to 'quantize' where any input pitchbending would snap to the next scale degree, though.

BarneyBrown
      Participant

+1 excellent idea and seemingly easy to implement too!

axxis272

thanks for the reply, but i don't quite understand if your answer is yes or no to my question:

is it possible to use alternate tuning systems in pitchfactor?

thanks again!

BarneyBrown
      Participant

The scales available with the Diatonic and Quadravox algorithms in the most recent Pitchfactor software include the following:

[MAJ] – Major
      [min] – Minor
      [DOR] – Dorian
      [PHRG] – Phrygian
      [LYD] – Lydian
      [MLYD] – Mixolydian
      [LOC] – Locrian
      [Hmin] – Harmonic Minor
      [Mmin] – Melodic Minor
      [Wton] – Whole Tone
      [ENIG] – Enigmatic
      [NPLT] – Neopolitan
      [HUNG] – Hungarian

No idea if there are plans to add more or not.

By the way, can anybody recommend some reading material (preferably a book) on the historical use and development of scales? I wasn't aware of the Wendy Carlos or Pythagorean scale before and they're absolutely fascinating. I'd love to read how ideas for scales and modes developed over time.

brock
      Participant

Quote:
      can anybody recommend some reading material (preferably a book) on the historical use and development of scales? … I'd love to read how ideas for scales and modes developed over time.

If you download the Scala archive here, unzip it, and open each .scl file in a text editor (4200 of them), there's a very brief description of the scale.  Unfortunately, the file names are cryptic, but you can decipher how a scale is constructed with a basic knowledge of cents, intervals, and octaves.

I've always referenced some very old books which may or may nor be in print anymore.

My 'bible' has been:

Twentieth Century Harmony – Creative Aspects and Practice by Vincent Persichetti

Other references:

Introduction to Contemporary Music by Joseph Machlis

Music Cultures of the Pacific, the Near East, and Asia by William P. Malm

There's more (not in front of my bookshelf at the moment).  No one book – that I've found – seems to cover it all.  I'll even go back to some sheet music compilation books like John McLaughlin & The Mahavishnu Orchestra.  If you find a complete historical reference, I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I tend to piece the concepts together from online & print sources.

chrysalis
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.