Cannot connect to H9 Core (communication error)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Cannot connect to H9 Core (communication error)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi!

I’ve had a H9 Core and a H9 Max for a couple years now, everything has worked fine until a month ago I discovered that I can’t connect to the Core pedal anymore – not with the iPhone app, the iPad app or with my Macbook Pro (tried bluetooth, usb and midi, nothing works).

I tried to reset the system settings by powering up with the hotknob and right footswitch pressed, but the “clear” message never showed up and when I kept pressing those the pedal erased my presets (as it should, but the absence of the clear-message confused me).

So now I’ve lost all my settings and presets (presets I have backed up on my phone, phew) and still can’t connect to the pedal.

Is there anything I can do myself or do I have to send the pedal somewhere? The warranty has of course expired and I have 30 gigs lined up during the next two months, so this is a major inconvenience – wouldn’t want to buy a new pedal just because this one decided to go bonkers all of a sudden…

Attached is a screenshot from the Mac H9 Control, the same message pops up on all devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) when I try to connect in any way.

Any ideas?

gkellum
      Participant

Hm.  That's a tough one.  I can't recall a case where Bluetooth, USB, and MIDI all stopped working.  Do the physical switches on the H9 all work?  Is it still processing audio normally?  There are two boards in the H9 connected by a cable.  I'm asking myself if something is wrong with the connection between the boards…

You haven't changed the way that the Core is powered have you?  Underpowering things can lead to really strange problems.

Just a quick note on your resetting problem — pressing the right footswitch with the big black wheel pressed resets all the system settings and all the presets.  Pressing the right footswtich and the HotKnob switch (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9) just resets the system settings but shouldn't affect your presets.  I'm guessing you did the first thing and not the second thing?

Unfortunately, it might have to come in for repair, in which case you'd want to get in touch with support@eventide.com.

gkellum wrote:

Hm.  That’s a tough one.  I can’t recall a case where Bluetooth, USB, and MIDI all stopped working.  Do the physical switches on the H9 all work?  Is it still processing audio normally?  There are two boards in the H9 connected by a cable.  I’m asking myself if something is wrong with the connection between the boards…

Yes, everything works when I operate the pedal via the onboard switches and no problems in audio. Even switching via midi works fine, only the Control app is “dead”.

gkellum wrote:

You haven’t changed the way that the Core is powered have you?  Underpowering things can lead to really strange problems.

I’ve used the same power block (a Truetone CS7) which gives 9VDC (500mA), which should be enough in my understanding. And the other H9 works just fine with the setup.

gkellum wrote:

Just a quick note on your resetting problem — pressing the right footswitch with the big black wheel pressed resets all the system settings and all the presets.  Pressing the right footswtich and the HotKnob switch (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9) just resets the system settings but shouldn’t affect your presets.  I’m guessing you did the first thing and not the second thing?

Yup, it seems that I misread the manual – no harm done, this was a great opportunity to learn the onboard controls on the pedal 🙂

gkellum wrote:

Unfortunately, it might have to come in for repair, in which case you’d want to get in touch with support@eventide.com.

Yes, I’ll have to contact support. Thanks for your answer, the pedals are great and this is the first problem I’ve had with them in these two years I’ve owned them. I’m sure it’ll get sorted out!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Before you send it in, try and "Restore Factory System Settings" as described in the UM. You refer to this, but do not state that you've succeeded in doing it.

My guess is that one of the settings is wrong, rather than any problem with the unit. A successful "Restore" will fix this.

Getting back to this on my break from gigs – the unit works still fine when using from the pedal itself, however no resetting (system settings OR both system settings and presets) helps.

I’ve tried to connect with 3 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 Macbook pros (usb, bluetooth, even midi) – on the iOS app I get the aforementioned error and on Mac the H9 control app freezes and the H9 sometimes turns off, sometimes leaves only the first letter of the current preset on screen.

Should I send the pedal to you for closer inspection? I even looked inside the pedal and everything seems to be attached properly…

nickrose wrote:

Before you send it in, try and “Restore Factory System Settings” as described in the UM. You refer to this, but do not state that you’ve succeeded in doing it.

My guess is that one of the settings is wrong, rather than any problem with the unit. A successful “Restore” will fix this.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.