Delay BPM question and H9 control screen question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Delay BPM question and H9 control screen question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bodde
      Participant

I didn’t want to create two topics so I will ask two questions here:

1) Can the delay (or other algos) BMP set to halves also. For example I want to set it to 129.5 instead of 129 or 130. Is that possble? When typing 129.5 in H9 Conrol it is set to 129.

2) With the H9 control on my Mac I can’t see the whole screen. I can’t see the bottom of the screen. I can click on the green arrow ‘button in the top left of the screen then I can see everything. But then it fills the whole screen and it is hard to get out of this screen if you want to open something else on the computer. I think it used to be different? Did this change somehow in a recent firmware? I can’t remember that it was like that before. I am on the latest firmware. Would be much more practical if you could see the whole screen in default mode and not having to fill the whole screen.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Bodde wrote:

I didn't want to create two topics so I will ask two questions here:

1) Can the delay (or other algos) BMP set to halves also. For example I want to set it to 129.5 instead of 129 or 130. Is that possble? When typing 129.5 in H9 Conrol it is set to 129.

2) With the H9 control on my Mac I can't see the whole screen. I can't see the bottom of the screen. I can click on the green arrow 'button in the top left of the screen then I can see everything. But then it fills the whole screen and it is hard to get out of this screen if you want to open something else on the computer. I think it used to be different? Did this change somehow in a recent firmware? I can't remember that it was like that before. I am on the latest firmware. Would be much more practical if you could see the whole screen in default mode and not having to fill the whole screen.

1) I believe if you type in H9 Control or use a MIDI clock, you can set H9's tempo to halves. However, H9's display and the H9 Contorl will on show an integer. Otherwise the H9 cannot show all digits on its screen and the control won't match the number on H9's display. So the answer is yes, you should be able to set it but it will just show up as an integer.

2) The size of H9 Control's window can be adjusted. Have you tried drag the edge or corner of the window when pressing the "option (alt)" key?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Usually, people don't want fractional BPM, so we keep it simple.

There is another reason – if you slave to MIDIclock, this often has a lot of jitter, so the value will be endlessly changing, which would be very annoying.

Of course we could have two different displays, one for MIDIclock and one without, but this might be confusing.

So, we did what we did …

skywriter
      Participant

I suppose once you allow fractional BPM how many significant digits do you support? Perhaps an external clock source would be a better option than for those folks than floating or fix pointing the BPM value in software – sounds buggy. Integers are easy.

Bodde
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

1) I believe if you type in H9 Control or use a MIDI clock, you can set H9’s tempo to halves. However, H9’s display and the H9 Contorl will on show an integer. Otherwise the H9 cannot show all digits on its screen and the control won’t match the number on H9’s display. So the answer is yes, you should be able to set it but it will just show up as an integer.

2) The size of H9 Control’s window can be adjusted. Have you tried drag the edge or corner of the window when pressing the “option (alt)” key?

1) But if it doesn’t get displayed in H9 control center how do I know if it is set correctly when I type 129.5 for example and it only displays 129? There is no way to know that what you have typed is being set (?).

2) The problem is that the bottom of the default screen is not visible at all and can’t be reached with the mouse arrow. Why is the default screen like that? Can’t it be so that you can see everything in the default screen? It was not like this before as far as I remember so something must have been changed in a Firmware?

Fender17
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:
      bohan wrote:

1) I believe if you type in H9 Control or use a MIDI clock, you can set H9’s tempo to halves. However, H9’s display and the H9 Contorl will on show an integer.

1) But if it doesn’t get displayed in H9 control center how do I know if it is set correctly when I type 129.5 for example and it only displays 129?

Well, it is tricky. But you may set BPM 1.0 and 1.9 and compare the result. With 1.9 the things should be aproximately half time than with 1. Or maybe, if you export the patch to text file, there should be the BPM value with decimals. If not, SW truncates inserted value to the whole number.

I understand why Eventide displays whole BPM on both, H9 and SW. It avoids user’s confusion. It might be fine, for those, who use fractional BPM, to be able to set SW to show also decimals. They would know H9 shows whole numbers, while SW also decimals…

Fender17
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:

2) The problem is that the bottom of the default screen is not visible at all and can’t be reached with the mouse arrow. Why is the default screen like that? Can’t it be so that you can see everything in the default screen? It was not like this before as far as I remember so something must have been changed in a Firmware?

I am not Mac user, but in Win one may drag and resize dialog also from top. In very past, it was possible only by bottom or right edge and bottom right corner. So, it might be similar in Mac.

Bodde
      Participant
      Fender17 wrote:
      Bodde wrote:

bohan wrote:

1) I believe if you type in H9 Control or use a MIDI clock, you can set H9’s tempo to halves. However, H9’s display and the H9 Contorl will on show an integer.

1) But if it doesn’t get displayed in H9 control center how do I know if it is set correctly when I type 129.5 for example and it only displays 129?

Well, it is tricky. But you may set BPM 1.0 and 1.9 and compare the result. With 1.9 the things should be aproximately half time than with 1. Or maybe, if you export the patch to text file, there should be the BPM value with decimals. If not, SW truncates inserted value to the whole number. I understand why Eventide displays whole BPM on both, H9 and SW. It avoids user’s confusion. It might be fine, for those, who use fractional BPM, to be able to set SW to show also decimals. They would know H9 shows whole numbers, while SW also decimals…

That doesn’t seem practical at all to me. Why not just have the halves displayed on H9 control? I understand why it can’t be displayed on the unit itself. But the way it is now it is useless to use halves if they can’t be displayed. You never know for sure if what you have typred is actually set correctly.

About the screen: I have tried to make it smaller by dragging the corners in the top. The dragging works but It doesn’t make the bottom of the screen visible however. I still cannot see or reach the bottom of the screen which makes the default screen useless because you can not do much on the screen if you don’t have to bottom. I would like to hear from Eventide why they made is so unpractical? And why they changed it? I think it was not like this before.

Fender17
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:

Why not just have the halves displayed on H9 control? I understand why it can’t be displayed on the unit itself. But the way it is now it is useless to use halves if they can’t be displayed. You never know for sure if what you have typred is actually set correctly.

Well, if H9 and SW displays different values, many people would ask why. And complain, that something is wrong. I am SW developer, I have a lot of experience with exactly this thing. So, it seems to me show the same OK, as default behaviour Eventide might allow in user setup to change it, if user desires see decimals.

Quote:

About the screen: I have tried to make it smaller by dragging the corners in the top. The dragging works but It doesn’t make the bottom of the screen visible however.

……..

I would like to hear from Eventide why they made is so unpractical? And why they changed it? I think it was not like this before.

At this time, you can do it in two steps. First, drag the top a bit down and make dialog smaller. Second, move the dialog up, so that you see also the bottom. (Also maximize window using icon might work or first minimize and than maximize.)

But I agree, that Eventide might improve behaviour, so that the dialog fits the screen. It should not be that much work. In Win, it is few lines of code, 5 minutes of work at most. I guess in Mac it will not be much different…

Bodde
      Participant

@Eventide: That makes sense. I don’t need halves much. But I needed it for one project and couldn’t do it.

Fender17 wrote:

At this time, you can do it in two steps. First, drag the top a bit down and make dialog smaller. Second, move the dialog up, so that you see also the bottom. (Also maximize window using icon might work or first minimize and than maximize.)

But I agree, that Eventide might improve behaviour, so that the dialog fits the screen. It should not be that much work. In Win, it is few lines of code, 5 minutes of work at most. I guess in Mac it will not be much different…

[/quote]

Thanks! I don’t know what happened but today it suddenly worked! The good thing is that H9 control remembers how you have set the screen. So now I can each I time use H9 control I can see the bottom of the screen. So I am fine for now!

Fender17
      Participant
      Bodde wrote:

Thanks! I don’t know what happened but today it suddenly worked! The good thing is that H9 control remembers how you have set the screen. So now I can each I time use H9 control I can see the bottom of the screen. So I am fine for now!

Great. That is good practice that SW remembers dialog sizes set by user.

I have tested and I can confirm, that if you enter BPM e.g. 104.4 to H9 Control SW then it is 104.4 BPM. Well, precisely 120.40000152587890625. That is common quirkiness of decimal to binary expression conversion, and back. So, if you use halves only seldomly, it will be there. To know, that it has fractional BPM, you may add to patc name the fractional value of BPM.

And besides. Does it really matter if it is 104 or 104.5? We are speaking about the effect, not sequencer or so. I am not musician, but in my opinion it does not matter. Or at least not in 99.999995% cases.

Bodde
      Participant
      Fender17 wrote:

And besides. Does it really matter if it is 104 or 104.5? We are speaking about the effect, not sequencer or so. I am not musician, but in my opinion it does not matter. Or at least not in 99.999995% cases.

I don’t use it that often I have to admit. But I needed it for a recording of a rhythmic delay with a very precise timing and then these halves can matter in some tempos. So anyway, it is good to know that it is possible.

Fender17
      Participant
      skywriter wrote:
      I suppose once you allow fractional BPM how many significant digits do you support?

H9 already allows fractional BPM. It looks like they use enought digits. (If we take 60 BPM, 3 digits would mean precision to miliseconds, 6 digits to microseconds, …)

skywriter
      Participant
      Fender17 wrote:
      skywriter wrote:
      I suppose once you allow fractional BPM how many significant digits do you support?

H9 already allows fractional BPM. It looks like they use enought digits. (If we take 60 BPM, 3 digits would mean precision to miliseconds, 6 digits to microseconds, …)

Sound analysis. Agreed!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.