H9 Control app Windows 10 x64 broken

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Control app Windows 10 x64 broken

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      rorytheherb

H9 Control refuses to open (“Not Responding”) no matter what I do, with or without the pedal connected. [Hot+tap] “initialize” reboot of H9 doesn’t help. Unpairing/pairing bluetooth doesn’t help. App is v2.7.8. I’m pretty fed up by this since it’s been wasting a lot of my time. Is anyone else having problems with it? Any help appreciated. 

-Rory

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm afraid it is probably down to your Bluetooth components. Some seem to work, others do not. See previous posts for recommendations. Or, use USB.

pureambient

Hello,

I have a very similar problem, and I am already onto “try USB” since my PC doesn’t support Bluetooth and I don’t have a dongle.

I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter:

1) Powered on H9 with USB cable attached

2) Opened H9 Control App on PC

3) Device found instantly, and connects instantly

4) I can now see both “PC” and my “H9-11111” in the left hand pane of List view

5) I switch from the “PC” to the “H9”

6) It immediately reads the contents of the H9, and displays them instantly

7) I hit the SAVE TO PC button

8) The save begins, but about 2 seconds into it, the Control App crashes hard – and you get the usual nonsense about Windows shutting down the app and searching for a solution for you (it wont)

I’ve tried re-booting the computer;  I do not have my DAW running or in fact, anything else running BUT the Control App.  I’ve tried re-booting the H9, and then restarting the Control App – same result, same crash at the same instant, the SECOND you push “SAVE TO PC” – it crashes.  I then tried pushing X Y Z at once, to disconnect the H9 from it’s previous pair, and it indeed, shut bluetooth off on the H9.  Another attempt brought exactly the same scenario: connects instantly, no problem, sees the H9, reads it’s contents and displays them – but, SAVE TO PC is like a “Please Crash Me Right Now” button – that’s all it does.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit  –  Version 1607 (OS build 14393.447)

Eventide H9 Control – Version 2.7.8

Please help – I’ve been wanting to back up my THREE H9s for several months now, I finally found time, I bought the correct USB cable, and now I get this instant, unstoppable CRASH every single time I try to save the pedal’s contents to the PC.

Where am I going wrong, I thought I would avoid all the problems that people seem to be having with Bluetooth, by avoiding Bluetooth, and it’s my hope to also upgrade my Pitch Factor and Space so I can control them via H9, and back them up too.  I have the OTHER USB cable ready for that task, too.  I thought it best to start with the H9, the more modern device, get those backed up to the PC, and then deal with the Factor boxes – but right now, with regards to creating saved backup of my five Eventide devices, I am stopped dead and NONE of them is backed up yet.

Please help – please.

Thank you

Dave

gkellum
        Participant
        pureambient wrote:

I've been wanting to back up my THREE H9s for several months now, I finally found time, I bought the correct USB cable, and now I get this instant, unstoppable CRASH every single time I try to save the pedal's contents to the PC.

So, this crash happens with every one of your H9s?  Not just with one unit in particular?

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:
        pureambient wrote:

I've been wanting to back up my THREE H9s for several months now, I finally found time, I bought the correct USB cable, and now I get this instant, unstoppable CRASH every single time I try to save the pedal's contents to the PC.

So, this crash happens with every one of your H9s?  Not just with one unit in particular?

Hi.

I only tried it on one H9 unit so far.

However, I also connected my two Factor pedals, the PitchFactor did not bring the crash….but, Space did.

So..out of four, two produce the crash. On the H9 it’s instant; on the Space, it saves exactly 45 presets, then crashes with NOTHING saved.

I say four, because one of the three H9s is in the shop.

So of the three I tested:

1 PitchFactor backed up fine, no crashes.
        2 Space tried to back up, and crashed after exactly 45 presets (I tried it about six times – always in the same spot.
        3 H9 crashed instantly, every time, over and over.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for responding! I really need some help here.

Dave

rorytheherb

This problem was identical whether using USB or Bluetooth.

Only solution is to uninstall and re-install the H9 Control app. It’s working for now.

But this is now my fourth installation.

Something’s not right about that.     

pureambient

Rory

That’s one thing – reinstalling the app itself – that I did not think to try – I will try that tomorrow. Glad you said that – thanks!!

It’s weird really, in my case, it almost has to be the app on the PC, because I’ve been running H9 Control on my iPad mini, for months, controlling all three H9s with very few problems, and, able to back them up to the iPad with no crashes or errors.

I went to the PC because for me, one backup on a tablet, is insufficient redundancy under any circumstances, so I was wanting a second set of backups.

I can even run all three H9s in one session on the iPad, and it works most of the time…Bluetooth.

I would have thought that a PC with a solid wired USB connection, would be MORE reliable than a tablet install.

Yet, on the tablet, it’s practically trouble free (the odd difficulty connecting) and on the PC, it’s nothing but trouble.

An entire afternoon resulted in one PitchFactor being backed up successfully. Not a great accomplishment for what should be, and what can be, such a capable app. I am baffled, but I really need it to work, so I can back up the five hundred handcrafted patches I have created across five devices – though doubtless I’ve lost the first 100 because the first unit (which was my second H9 failure this year) will get factory reset in the shop – and it broke the day after I finished the programming – and got sent away before I even thought of trying the backup – so it never got backed up to the PC.

I’ve got decent communication with all four devices now, but the app is feeling unwell, I agree!

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

pureambient

Hello gentlemen

OK when I got home from work today, I re-installed the H9 Control app on my PC – hooked up the other, untested H9, and fired off the app.

As usual, it finds the H9 instantly, communication is very good.

I select the H9, and load its programs – and by looking at Edit, I can see they are all there, all 99 of them – so then I do the unthinkable – I push the Save To PC button, and…

The app crashes almost instantly, in the exact same fashion as the other H9 did on Sunday night.

So that concluded my testing for this evening with the scores like this:

H9 No. 2 – Save To PC brings almost instant (1 to 2 seconds) crash of the H9 app – hard crash *
      H9 No. 3 – Save To PC brings almost instant (1 to 2 seconds) crash of the H9 app – hard crash **
      Space – Save To PC begins, runs for perhaps 15 seconds, until reaching preset 45 (“Phil McCavity”) and then crashes hard as above – with nothing whatsoever saved. *
      PitchFactor – Save To PC – actually worked, with no crash – first set up of Factor boxes with H9 app. But then Space failed, so I have exactly ONE back up – the least important one too – out FOUR backups that I should have. *

* Testing done Sunday evening 20161127
      ** Testing done Monday evening 20161128

Note – multiple repeats of the failures were done on H9 No. 2 and Space – the failures are extremely, exactly repeatable, the H9, always crashing almost instantly, while the Space makes it to Preset 45, stops, and gently crumples.

This happened over and over during the more extensive Sunday night testing – they never crashed any differently, it’s always exactly the same instant – it’s almost uncanny.

So interestingly, the two H9s bring exactly the same result, the instant crash; the Space makes a half-hearted effort and then fails, and for some unknown reason, PitchFactor does get backed up – not quite sure why.

H9 No. 1 – no comment, still in hospital and won’t be back for weeks.

I hope this is helpful for further troubleshooting, I am really in need of some suggestions now – I’d really hoped the H9 Control reinstall would make a difference, but no such luck…they are all still crashing in the same way, and in the same car, too 🙂

Please advise – happy to try any suggestions.

Thank you

Dave

gkellum
        Participant
        pureambient wrote:

The app crashes almost instantly, in the exact same fashion as the other H9 did on Sunday night.

We put together a system for uploading crash dumps to the web for something else we were working on.  I'm thinking it would be helpful to integrate that into H9 Control. That would make it quicker and easier for us to learn about and fix these sorts of problems. 

I'll see if we can't reproduce these problems nonetheless though.  If we can reproduce them, it should be fairly quick to fix them.

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:
        pureambient wrote:

We put together a system for uploading crash dumps to the web for something else we were working on.  I'm thinking it would be helpful to integrate that into H9 Control. That would make it quicker and easier for us to learn about and fix these sorts of problems. 

I'll see if we can't reproduce these problems nonetheless though.  If we can reproduce them, it should be fairly quick to fix them.

I agree that it would have been / would still be a good idea if H9 Control stored and then sent you crash dump information – for one thing, you’d then see how many customers are trying to live with multiple crashes 🙂

So I agree, but rather than the whole “do you want to send a crash report to Eventide” – which I consider to be just an annoyance – just send it, I don’t need to give you my permission each time.

I would have had to have granted permission about a dozen times last Sunday night, and it’s OK for the first few times – but I’ve always wished that software mfrs would just generate and send the report in the background without having to ask me each time – OK -ask me once, the first time, then when I say “yes” – just do the rest automatically behind the scenes without interrupting me over and over and over.

If there is a manual method of capturing the crash dumps for you, I’d happily make it crash for you to capture that info. But I’m guessing there is no easy manual method if you would have asked me to do that already.

Barring that, I really hope you can reproduce this crash – because I need a reliable,repeatable, backup process – from which I can safely and confidently RESTORE.

So if you can spend some time working on this, I would certainly appreciate it, as I’m sure several of us with similar issues would.

Please – help !!!!!

Thanks again for your help and for responding so quickly and positively, that’s very encouraging and refreshing – thanks.

Best regards,

Dave at pureambient

rorytheherb

Turning on H9 control again today, with H9 plugged in via USB, the app AGAIN refuses to open. 

This is NOT what I paid over $700 for. 

Since yesterday, now the pedal is rebooting sporadically all by itself, even when not plugged in via USB or paired via bluetooth. This is supposedly a power supply issue according to some other threads. 

ALSO NOT what I paid over $700 for. 

gkellum
        Participant
        rorytheherb wrote:

Turning on H9 control again today, with H9 plugged in via USB, the app AGAIN refuses to open. 

We've been hearing about a fair number of problems people have been having on Windows 10 systems.  There were a couple of users who had everything working fine, and then Windows 10 self updated, and everything got messed up.  One of them had to reinstall his Windows 10 system altogether.  At the moment we don't understand what is causing these sorts of problems.  It could be that when we add crash reporting to H9 Control we'll get some useful information from that.

In the past there have also been users who have had trouble because of driver conflict issues, and if you have any other audio periphereals attached to your machine, it would be helpful to try detaching them temporarily to see if they might be causing problems.  Similarly if you have any music apps open, it would be helpful to close them temporarily before you launch H9 Control to make sure that is not causing problems.

rorytheherb wrote:

Since yesterday, now the pedal is rebooting sporadically all by itself, even when not plugged in via USB or paired via bluetooth. This is supposedly a power supply issue according to some other threads. 

Ok, you should contact support@eventide.com about that problem.  We might just send you a new power supply to see if that resolves the problem. 

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:

rorytheherb wrote:

We’ve been hearing about a fair number of problems people have been having on Windows 10 systems.  There were a couple of users who had everything working fine, and then Windows 10 self updated, and everything got messed up.  One of them had to reinstall his Windows 10 system altogether.  At the moment we don’t understand what is causing these sorts of problems.  It could be that when we add crash reporting to H9 Control we’ll get some useful information from that.

In the past there have also been users who have had trouble because of driver conflict issues, and if you have any other audio periphereals attached to your machine, it would be helpful to try detaching them temporarily to see if they might be causing problems.  Similarly if you have any music apps open, it would be helpful to close them temporarily before you launch H9 Control to make sure that is not causing problems.

rorytheherb wrote:

Ok, you should contact support@eventide.com about that problem.  We might just send you a new power supply to see if that resolves the problem. 

I would say this about that:  I had my first H9 die under mysterious circumstances that I always felt were power related – the Eventide power supplies that come with the device – I really felt uncomfortable about the CONNECTION, and the idea of “turning on” a seven hundred dollar device by plugging in a 10 dollar wall wart – or by plugging in a 0.34 cent connector (the power supply connector).

After number 1 died, I decided I was fed up with wall warts for expensive devices, so I sprung for the very, very overpriced but VERY much nicer than the wall-warts Eventide Powerfactor – and I can power all five devices, two Factors and three H9s from the one supply, with 9V slots left over for various other items…

It’s felt so much more solid since then, I hate those stupid wall warts, and wherever I can replace them with a Voodoo Labs or CIOKS supply – I am going to.  Much more solid response, better, more solid connection, it doesn’t feel loose or uncertain like the wall warts do.

Apologies to our Eventide friend – but the Powerfactor, ridiculously expensive that it be – is a better, safer bet for these expensive pedals, in my humble opinion and based on my terrifying sudden death H9 experience.

And now a SECOND H9 has collapsed, I was working with MIDI – and it kept turning itself OFF.  Over and over again.  And then, it wouldn’t come ON.

So off to the shop IT went.  This hasn’t been the most re-assuring start for me, all I want is three H9s and my two Factor pedals – with those five, I can pretty much replicate any guitar tone I can imagine.

However – one provisio – they HAVE TO KEEP WORKING, and not break, and not be so fragile, and not…break so easily.  I’ve lost two in the last year.

The first one was replaced with a new one.  And now, another one is in the hands of my dealer for “repairs” or replacement.

Sigh.

Hope this “helps”.

Dave

pureambient

Hello everyone – I’ve sorta been staying away from here in the hopes that the good gkellum would have some time to see if he can replicate these failures, and see if we can possibly get a hotfix for the app or SOMETHING – and it wouldn’t surprise me if Windows 10 is to blame – I can’t quite be sure, because I only used the app on ios for the first year or two, so I have only very recently installed H9 control – I am sure I was already on Windows 10 when I did so – and – true to form, it has never, ever worked right, including this weird, weird failure with the Space, where it goes through the motions of saving the first 44 presets, gets to 45, hangs, draws one last breath – and dies, no backup made.

Of course, I am more concerned with the H9 issues since really, working with PF and Space and the H9 Control seems like a “bonus” – although now that I’ve had a tiny taste of success (I did indeed, actually back up my PitchFactor to the PC Control App.  But that’s one out of five pedals – and I really want them all to respond the same way, and for the app to behave the same way regardless of what device it’s accessing.

So I am a bit surprised and a bit disappointed to find that no one is speaking – I assume that means there is no progress, we know nothing more, and I am wasting my breath at this moment.  But it’s just to say – please keep going, I know that Rory is about to lose his mind and I am not in much better shape, having LOST two H9s in the last year – these devices were supposed to be my poor man’s Fractal, but it’s starting to look like MAYBE, I should have just got a second mortgage on my house and BOUGHT a flippin Fractal – or like Fripp – two, one being spare for when the first one breaks.

I reckoned with Eventide, that the H9s would be as resilient as the Factor Pedals – in fact, better – but in fact, I kinda feel let down there, what with two weird failures and all this other trouble, I am starting – like Rory – to think that maybe I have invested in a very expensive dead end.

Please help us – we need to restore our faith in the H9s and in Eventide, I know that Eventide can fix this, because you guys have the experience and the knowledge – so please please fix this.

On behalf of all of us who are suffering from power supply, sudden deaths, MIDI issues, or problems with H9 control – we need all that stuff to work, so WE can work!

I can’t imagine going out to gigs with this set up right now – for one thing, I am SHORT on H9, so all of my carefully engineered combination sounds are all….bereft of meaning without pedal no. 1 in place.

I am not complaining – I know you are busy, but I am saying that for myself, the level of frustration this can bring is not terrifically healthy.

It starts to get you down, and that is not good!

All the best

Best of luck finding solutions, and sorting out all of these problems…

Good luck Eventide people!

Dave 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I can't speak for H9Control, as this is not my area. But, given that you are having hardware problems with your H9, PLEASE contact support@eventide.com, giving AS MUCH information as you can.

We make little use of Windows 10, as it does not offer much to serious development people – it appears to be mainly designed for tablets. Because of this, we don't have as much experience with it as we should. Win7 works just fine.

Obviously there is room for improvement here – but, I would always suggest that you use the oldest OS that will do what you need – new shiny things will have new shiny problems and less support. A counter argument is that it is difficult to buy a new Win7 computer these days. We need to do better.

pureambient
        nickrose wrote:

I can’t speak for H9Control, as this is not my area. But, given that you are having hardware problems with your H9, PLEASE contact support@eventide.com, giving AS MUCH information as you can.

We make little use of Windows 10, as it does not offer much to serious development people – it appears to be mainly designed for tablets. Because of this, we don’t have as much experience with it as we should. Win7 works just fine.

Obviously there is room for improvement here – but, I would always suggest that you use the oldest OS that will do what you need – new shiny things will have new shiny problems and less support. A counter argument is that it is difficult to buy a new Win7 computer these days. We need to do better.

I am going to assume that this post is directed at Rorytheherb, and not me.  My four remaining Eventides are all operating at the moment.

The H9 app, however, is not, and indeed, may have been compromised thanks to differences between Win 7 and Win 10.

But the advice to use the oldest OS possible – that seems out of character and not very forward-looking or forward-thinking – and based on that, I’d give it about a zero in terms of customer care or product futureproofing.

You ended your post with “we need to do better” – I think part of that, is not to cling onto to operating systems of the past, but to accept that in the natural order of things, operating systems change, and with that change, comes the need for ALL manufacturers of all software and application products everywhere, to then have to adapt their products to the new OS, or perish in the attempt.  If only from a standpoint of security – Win 10 will patch security issues that were never fixed in Win 7 – so you have to get Win 10 is you want to be guaranteed the most secure OS possible – and if you stay in WIn 7, you miss out on those too.

Forward then, positive is the way, not, stick to Win 7 – and my only concern in this thread is the H9 Control application – and gkellum is addressing that.

Cheers

Dave

Enron
      Participant

Just here to say my H9 Control app for Windows 10 has been unusable for the past month as well. I must turn on/off H9 pedals and plug/unplug BT dongle as well as switch on/off bluetooth on my PC to maybe just 1 of the 2 pedals working. All in all, it works after about 30 minutes of trying different things. I even did try unistalling the app and re-installing.

It’s sad I just bought these, and all I got is a big black scroll wheel to take me through presets…..

I hope an update comes soon 🙂

pureambient

The ball would seem to be in your court.

Can we know any details of any real troubleshooting, problem re-creation, etc. – what has been tried or ruled out or ??? – and if we can expect an H9 Control App update sooner rather than later to address the problems of what seems to be, a growing number of users?

Please may we hear from Eventide next ?

Thank you

Dave at pureambient

gkellum
        Participant
        pureambient wrote:

Can we know any details of any real troubleshooting, problem re-creation, etc. – what has been tried or ruled out or ??? – and if we can expect an H9 Control App update sooner rather than later to address the problems of what seems to be, a growing number of users? Please may we hear from Eventide next ?

I asked one of our testers to try to reproduce the problems mentioned in this forum thread on Windows 10, and he wasn't able to do so.

So, I've been working all week on integrating a crash submission system into the Windows version of H9 Control.  It's been going pretty well.  We'll likely have a new build of H9 Control at the end of this week / beginning of next week.  The build will have an integrated crash submission system.  But of course we'll still need to look at and try to fix the issues mentioned in this thread once we have some crash dumps in hand.

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:
        pureambient wrote:

Can we know any details of any real troubleshooting, problem re-creation, etc. – what has been tried or ruled out or ??? – and if we can expect an H9 Control App update sooner rather than later to address the problems of what seems to be, a growing number of users? Please may we hear from Eventide next ?

I asked one of our testers to try to reproduce the problems mentioned in this forum thread on Windows 10, and he wasn't able to do so.

So, I've been working all week on integrating a crash submission system into the Windows version of H9 Control.  It's been going pretty well.  We'll likely have a new build of H9 Control at the end of this week / beginning of next week.  The build will have an integrated crash submission system.  But of course we'll still need to look at and try to fix the issues mentioned in this thread once we have some crash dumps in hand.

Hello and thank you for this.

I assume then that your technician, was able to back up to the H9 Control app, successfully, from an H9, or a Space, with no errors or problems. As Rory and I were unable to.

May we please have the details on how this was done? STEP by step, please, because I would really, really like to back up my devices.

I am able to “reproduce” my failures in Windows 10 over and over and over again. Even on different days. I bet if we get the step by step of a successful backup from your technician, that when we try it – it will fail. Because I am sure we are doing it correctly, these are hard, clear failures that should be easy to reproduce.

One problem may be the machine you are testing on. Often, test machines at manufacturers have been so heavily tweaked overtime, that apparently buggy software will run fine in the shop, but Wong on the average users computer.

So try it on a non-Eventide machine, at someone’s house or something – I am really so surprised to hear that you could not reproduce the error…because it fails the same way every time for me. Every time.

Can we try again? And also, I know I would prefer if the concentration of effort was on fixing the problems in this thread, and that the addition of the crash dump info us not really a priority.

We are the customers, and we have a small fortune invested in these devices, and we have nowhere else to turn for help, we have to find a solution…so if it were me, I would concentrate on sorting out Rory’s and pureambients’ issues, and yes, I know that the crash dump might help with this, I am just trying to keep the focus on the customers….

I’m dead in the water, I am down one H9, but it’s the one that is my preamp emulator, so the other two are useless without it.

When it does eventually come back, I need to be able to back it up – I really need to back all five devices, sooner rather than later, and I am quite sure that Rory, and several others, are feeling equally frustrated. When you’ve spent hours and days creating custom sounds, you do NOT want the backup on your rather fragile tablet, to be the ONLY backup!!

In haste,

Please see what you can do – and thank you.

Dave at pureambient’

I try to back up either of my working H9s: they both fail instantly, with 1 to 2 seconds gap before they crash.

I try to back up the Soace, and it tries, it processes the first 44 voices and then stops at the 45th, every time. Like clock work.

So I am very surprised that your tech couldn’t recreate this. I’ve got two H9s, that both fail in exactly the same spectacular fashion when back up is attempted. That fact, could not be a clearer “smoking gun” pointed right at the heart of the H9 Control app!!! It’s clear to me at least, that when two different serial number H9s fail so perfectly on demand, 1 to 2 seconds after pushing the button…that the H9 Control app has done issues and is the issue.

If it were the pedals, they would react differently….one would back up, one wouldn’t. But it’s not like that.

To me, the strangest thing of all, is that my PitchFactor DID back up OK, first time, no issues.

I wish I could say the same for the H9s and the Space.

May I suggest trying again, to get recreate my failure? There is nothing unusual about my H9s.

Or my Space.

pureambient
        pureambient wrote:
        gkellum wrote:
        pureambient wrote:

20161213 hello again from Dave, the auto corrector really, really messed up my last post, so please read the CORRECTED VERSION here, and ignore the previous one. Thank you!!!

Hello and thank you for this.

I assume then that your technician, was able to back up to the H9 Control app, successfully, from an H9, or a Space, with no errors or problems. As Rory and I were unable to.

May we please have the details on how this was done? STEP by step, please, because I would really, really like to back up my devices.

I am able to “reproduce” my failures in Windows 10 over and over and over again. Even on different days. I bet if we get the step by step of a successful backup from your technician, that when we try it – it will fail. Because I am sure we are doing it correctly, these are hard, clear failures that should be easy to reproduce.

One problem may be the machine you are testing on. Often, test machines at manufacturers have been so heavily tweaked over time, that apparently buggy software will run fine in the shop, but will fail on the average user’s computer.

So please try it on a non-Eventide machine, at someone’s house or something – I am really so surprised to hear that you could not reproduce the error…because it fails the same way every time for me. Every time.

Can we try again? And also, I know I would prefer if the concentration of effort was on fixing the problems in this thread, and that the addition of the crash dump info is not really a priority for me, – the customers are. Solve the customer problems first, and then do the crash dump stuff. I think Rory might agree with that. I certainly do.

We are the customers, and we have a small fortune invested in these devices, and we have nowhere else to turn for help, we have to find a solution…so if it were me, I would concentrate on sorting out Rory’s and pureambients’ issues, and yes, I know that the crash dump might help with this, I am just trying to keep the focus on the customers….

I’m dead in the water, I am down one H9, but it’s the one that is my preamp emulator, so the other two are useless without it.

When it does eventually come back, I need to be able to back it up – I really need to back all five devices, sooner rather than later, and I am quite sure that Rory, and several others, are feeling equally frustrated. When you’ve spent hours and days creating custom sounds, you do NOT want the backup on your rather fragile tablet, to be the ONLY backup!!

So, to be really clear…I try to back up either of my working H9s: they both fail instantly, with 1 to 2 seconds gap before they crash.

I try to back up the Space, and it tries, it processes the first 44 voices and then stops at the 45th, every time. Like clockwork.

So I am very surprised that your tech couldn’t recreate this. I’ve got two H9s, that both fail in exactly the same spectacular fashion when a back up is attempted. That fact, could not be a clearer “smoking gun” pointed right at the heart of the H9 Control app!!! It’s clear to me at least, that when two different serial number H9s fail so perfectly on demand, 1 to 2 seconds after pushing the button…that the H9 Control app has some issues and it IS the issue.

If it were the H9 pedals, they would react differently….one would back up, one wouldn’t. But it’s not like that. The two H9s behave in exactly the same fashion – the app crashes at the same instant every time, over and over.

To me, the strangest thing of all, is that my PitchFactor DID back up OK, first time, no issues.

I wish I could say the same for the H9s and the Space.

May I suggest trying again, to please try to recreate my exact failure? There is nothing unusual about my H9s. Just take two H9s, and try to back them up, one by one, to the H9 Control App running on a Windows 10 PC, preferably, an “offline” non-Eventide Shop machine…I really want you to experience this failure, so you can a) feel how alarming it is and b) get tangible clues as to what might cause SUCH a quick rejection of the H9 pedals.

Or my Space.

Thank you for re-reading this corrected version.

In haste,

Please see what you can do – and thank you.

Dave at pureambient (again)

rorytheherb

Still waiting for a response to my email sent Dec 1 to support@eventide.com regarding the power supply…

support@eventide.com

gkellum
      Participant

> Still waiting for a response to my email sent Dec 1 to support@eventide.com regarding the power supply

Let me double check on that to see what happened with your support ticket…

gkellum
      Participant

As luck would have it, a customer sent in a Space to us where H9 Control would crash when he tried to save its preset list.  I looked at his Space and was able to reproduce the problem on a Windows 7 machine.  The cause of his problem is he had a preset saved on his Space which had a character in its name which was illegal to use in a Windows file name.  More specifically, he had a preset named 'Size*Matters', and the '*' is illegal in Windows file names.  This might explain the crashes some of you have described when saving preset lists on Windows as well.  In any case we'll put out a new build of H9 Control tomorrow that fixes this problem and also has the crash reporting feature.

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:

As luck would have it, a customer sent in a Space to us where H9 Control would crash when he tried to save its preset list.  I looked at his Space and was able to reproduce the problem on a Windows 7 machine.  The cause of his problem is he had a preset saved on his Space which had a character in its name which was illegal to use in a Windows file name.  More specifically, he had a preset named 'Size*Matters', and the '*' is illegal in Windows file names.  This might explain the crashes some of you have described when saving preset lists on Windows as well.  In any case we'll put out a new build of H9 Control tomorrow that fixes this problem and also has the crash reporting feature.

Hello

This is excellent news, and of course, we can now check our preset names not only in the Space,but in the H9s too – we may get lucky twice.

This is often a problem with data in general, many operating systems, programs, apps or even just data, can fail processes because of illegal characters. In Windows there is a list of forbidden characters, it’s not just the asterisk *

I would want to add something though about the message you posted, where you said that the customer (who sent in the Space) “had a preset” called Size*Matters, and then you went on to explain about the asterisk being an illegal character and so on.

The customer did not have a preset named “Size*Matters”, or rather, the SPACE had a preset called “Size*Matters” because that’s the way a SPACE comes from the factory…that’s a factory preset.

So it was Eventide that introduced the illegal character into the code, by using the asterisk in the stock preset name “Size*Matters”, it was NOT the customer. He, like me, had obviously never altered the name of the preset…the customer did nothing wrong at all.

That obviously wasn’t an issue in iOS, which apparently runs fault tolerant enough to forgive the asterisk character. But as soon as you put the app onto your windows machine, that clever name begins to cause a hugely frustrating problem for all Eventide pedal users! Like a virus laying dormant, living happily on iOS, but, the moment you expose it to Windows, wham! Crash. Break. Days and days of down time.

I should have thought of illegal characters, I really should have, but I’m very glad that you stumbled on this potential fix by accident…that’s what I would call a happy accident.

We will let you know how we get on with devices once you give us a new build…let’s hope this Space fix will work on H9s too.

Best

Dave at pureambient

gkellum
      Participant

Version 2.7.9 of H9 Control is now available for download from the Support / Downloads section of the website.  It has the aforementioned fix for saving preset lists off of a stompbox as well as a new feature that uploads crash dumps to the cloud if H9 Control crashes.

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:

Version 2.7.9 of H9 Control is now available for download from the Support / Downloads section of the website.  It has the aforementioned fix for saving preset lists off of a stompbox as well as a new feature that uploads crash dumps to the cloud if H9 Control crashes.

This is great news, thank you for your persistence.

One question, just so I am clear – this fix will mean that the H9 Control App will tolerate special or illegal characters, or do we still need to purge any such characters from our H9s etc???

And if the answer is that we must remove special characters, how do we deal with Factory Presets that I believe,, can’t be renamed by us mere mortals – I think that I am not empowered to change the name of “Size*Matters” – if you see what I mean.

I hope the answer is that the app will either ignore special characters or replace them with acceptable characters so if it finds an asterisk, for example, one action could be to turn every asterisk into a hyphen.

Please let us know…

And thank you again for this new version.

Dave

gkellum
        Participant
        pureambient wrote:
        gkellum wrote:

this fix will mean that the H9 Control App will tolerate special or illegal characters, or do we still need to purge any such characters from our H9s etc???

What H9 Control is currently doing is removing special / illegal characters when it imports a preset list.  So, you don't need to do anything yourself.

pureambient
        gkellum wrote:

pureambient wrote:
        gkellum wrote:

this fix will mean that the H9 Control App will tolerate special or illegal characters, or do we still need to purge any such characters from our H9s etc???

What H9 Control is currently doing is removing special / illegal characters when it imports a preset list.  So, you don’t need to do anything yourself.

Thanks very much for that.  I finally had a chance to download the new updated Application executable and try this, and I’ve now got both of my two remaining living H9s backed up to both my tablet and my PC for the first time EVER – so that is fantastic! ,.. and I’ve also got the PitchFactor and the Space backed up to the PC only.

Now – I can’t think of an easy way to copy the PF and Space preset/”saves” over to the tablet, but for the moment, I just copied all of the files (by exporting each one) and saved them across my external hard drives.  So that is backup taken care of – but, by question now is, IS there a way to “load” a Preset List that used to live on your PC, onto your tablet?

Can you open it with the H9 Control app somehow?  Maybe I am being really stupid here, but I don’t know how to do this!

So far, here is what I have done:

1) Saved each set of presets (*.h9z files) to the PC – two H9s, the PitchFactor, and the Space

2) Saved across multiple drives

3) Would LIKE to copy the preset lists for the two FACTOR pedals, to the tablet if possible.

Can this be done, and if so – how?

FInally – thank you SO much for the new version of the app, it’s working really well so far, I had no issues using it although interestingly, I did get a couple of crashes – but I assume that was it encountering special characters and not liking it.

I’ve also gone through and made SURE that all special characters are gone, so I shouldn’t have any more troubles.

A couple of things that were verified by this fix:

1) Why my PitchFactor would back up under 2.7.8, while my Space and H9s would not?  –  because, there are no special characters amongst the PitchFactor’s patches!

2) Why the H9’s failed immediately – because my first preset name had a special character in it.

3) Why the Space did a partial save, and then crashed the app just after Preset 45 (Phil McCavity) – because Preset 46 is Size*Matters, and at the time, the asterisk was still there.

So I think that clarifies a lot – thanks so much for being persistent and solving these issues – saving me a lot of time and hassle because as I’ve already got one H9 in the shop, I really didn’t want to have to send them ALL in.

Cheers

Dave at pureambient

Marcel
      Participant

Hi Dave, an answer to one of your questions.

(quote)

3) Would LIKE to copy the preset lists for the two FACTOR pedals, to the tablet if possible.

(end quote)

Did you consider:

Export/upload the lists from your PC to an online service like Dropbox (or Box.com, etc) and import/download it to your tablet (or directly open it in H9 Control) from this online service.

In short: PC > Online service > tablet

OR: from within your PC H9 Control you can mail a list to yourself, and open this mail on your tablet, and open the list (which is in that mail) in H9 Control on your tablet.

As I understand it, on your ios tablet you will need a camera connection kit to connect your Space and Pitch pedals to make H9 Control work, cause these pedals don’t have bluetooth.

pureambient
        Marcel wrote:
        Hi Dave, an answer to one of your questions.

Hi Marcel,

Thanks very much for this, I figured it would be something simple, and I have a Dropbox account that I really do not make enough use of. And, I do have a camera connection kit, so you’ve given me two – no, sorry – three good methods!!

Thanks very much indeed!!

Cheers

Dave

(quote)

(end quote)

Did you consider:

Export/upload the lists from your PC to an online service like Dropbox (or Box.com, etc) and import/download it to your tablet (or directly open it in H9 Control) from this online service.

In short: PC > Online service > tablet

OR: from within your PC H9 Control you can mail a list to yourself, and open this mail on your tablet, and open the list (which is in that mail) in H9 Control on your tablet.

As I understand it, on your ios tablet you will need a camera connection kit to connect your Space and Pitch pedals to make H9 Control work, cause these pedals don’t have bluetooth.

Enron
      Participant

The Eventide dudes. The 2.7.9 update seems to work fine whatever it is you did. I’ll summit any crashes if they come about. (waits on peach fuzz distortion…)

gkellum
        Participant
        Enron wrote:

The Eventide dudes. The 2.7.9 update seems to work fine whatever it is you did. I'll summit any crashes if they come about. (waits on peach fuzz distortion…)

Great, that's good news.  We had to change some compiler settings to support the crash dump feature, and that might have fixed the problem you were having on Windows 10.

I'm going to lock this thread.  If any of you continue to have Windows 10 or other problems that you would like us to look at, please create a new thread and let us know about them.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The topic ‘H9 Control app Windows 10 x64 broken’ is closed to new replies.