H9 Control Note Values to Time Question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Control Note Values to Time Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      koo
      Participant

Still new to H9 Control and I’m confused by its conversion between note values in tempo mode and ms when tempo is off, using the Vintage Delay algorithm as an example.

If I enter 100bpm and pull the delay knobs to 1/4, I can get values ranging from about 250ms to 300ms. I assume I’m getting varying values because the knob doesn’t snap to exactly a quarter note, right? But why am I not getting around 600ms for a quarter note delay at 100bpm?

When I take it from the other direction and set a delay of 600ms, then turn tempo on at 100bpm, it labels the delay as 7/16. 

I am guessing there’s user error at work here – can someone kindly explain where I’m going wrong?

camn
      Participant

I don’t know if this is real… But I have never thought that those numbers correlated.
      Like, I conceptualise a Tempo mode, and a non tempo mode. And the knob is just set to a clock position.
      So 1oclock is whatever dotted 1/4…or it is whatever XXms. They cannot be related, because the 1oclock position should be consistently XXms despite the global tempo.. And consistently dotted 1/4 despite global tempo.

Caviat* I have not tested this theory.

skywriter
      Participant

BPM is relative to reference clock provided by internal or external clock in tempo mode; WHOLE, 1/2, 1/4, etc… of reference clock. Out of tempo mode (no reference clock), time is measured in absolute time; milliseconds.

In pedal settings you can select MIDI source as clock source. Otherwise the internal clock is set with the tempo button legend.

koo
      Participant
      camn wrote:
      I don’t know if this is real… But I have never thought that those numbers correlated. Like, I conceptualise a Tempo mode, and a non tempo mode. And the knob is just set to a clock position. So 1oclock is whatever dotted 1/4…or it is whatever XXms. They cannot be related, because the 1oclock position should be consistently XXms despite the global tempo.. And consistently dotted 1/4 despite global tempo. Caviat* I have not tested this theory.

So, said another way, there is no conversion going on between the two modes – that makes sense and would explain it, thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.