H9 Killdry Bug – Dry Signal Leaks During Preset Changes

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Killdry Bug – Dry Signal Leaks During Preset Changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ccl117
      Participant

I use the Eventide H9 in KillDry mode of a parallel fx loop, and I control preset changes via MIDI PCs.

Every time I switch presets, the H9 leaks out a dry signal for about two seconds which causes a volume jump out of my amp in conjunction with a "out of phase" sound.

I identified this issue to Eventide over a year ago with their Space pedal, and Eventide did confirm it was a bug they were working on fixing.  I'm disappointed to see it still exists in the newer products, is their an ETA to correct?  This makes the pedal unusable in any type of live application.

MarcoR
      Participant

I had no doubt this would be
      an issue with the H9 when switching between 
      presets with different algorithms.
      Just like with the BIG box Eventides, great algorithms take time to load. The
      solution… pick algorithms you can modify with midi CCs OR get a second H9 if
      you really need to switch between two algorithms. The time it takes to load the
      algorithms will never be fixed; it is what it is.

gkellum
      Participant

Thanks for your words of support, but he is right that if kill dry is enabled, you wouldn't expect to hear any of the dry signal when switching presets.  I'll have to check what the status of this bug is… 

h9controller
      Eventide Staff

Hi ccl117,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your H9.  I was trying to reproduce it with an H9 and MIDI program changes but wasn't able to.  Is it possible for you to detail the presets and algorithms your using for this to occur?

ccl117
      Participant

Hi Eventide staff, thank you for the response.

It is the exact same issue I highlighted to the forum in September 2012 with the Eventide Space, I attached the link below where you can see it was confirmed as an issue with the Eventide staff, as well as other users.  I also posted a discussion on TheGearPage in the hopes of finding a user solution, and other users have begun confirming they are experiencing the same issue I am experiencing.

To detail, I run the H9 always "on" in Killdry mode in the parallel fx loop of my amplifier.  I control preset changes via MIDI PCs.  The only effects I have used are the Space "Quasar" preset, Space "Hall" preset, , the "Vocal Echo" TimeFactor Echo preset, and a Space "ModEchoVerb" preset which I can't remember the precise name of.  The problem occurs every time I switch between presets, and I can confirm the H9 is in global killdry mode (with the exception of when it switches presets and bleeds out a very noticeable dry signal for about two seconds).

Please ref the prior forum for additional details, the issue is exactly the same one that was confirmed by the Eventide staff in September 2012.

Thank you for your help in correcting, I think if you can fix that error the pedal will work great.  If you could let me know the gameplan I would be most appreciative; if a fix is still not in the works I will need to return it.  Thank you,

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/t/8138.aspx?PageIndex=1

ccl117
      Participant

Thanks Marco, but I'm fine with delays in loading algorithms, I am not fine with a audible disruptive dry signal bleeding through during presets loading however.  I own a big box Eclipse for my other rig, and change presets in killdry mode during songs without any of the audible volume pops or dry signal bleed through errors that both the Eventide Space, and H9, exhibit.

Delays in preset loads are ok and can be managed, temporary volume jumps with out of phase sounds due to dry signal bleed through can't work in a live performance setting though.

MarcoR
      Participant

ccl117, I jumped in a little too fast. I'm sorry I didn't aknowlage the actual issue at hand. I forgot about the Space bug. I also have the same issue with Space and hope it is fixed soon.

h9controller
      Eventide Staff

Looks like this should be addressed in the latest H9 software which hasn't been released yet to the public.

fjurden
      Participant

I have an H9 core with latest software (crushstation release) and i use a Boss ES-8 to control program changes via midi.  I also have a Space pedal connected over midi in same set up.

When changing presets on the H9, I get a very loud “pop” as the preset switches – and I do mean *loud*  

I realize that loading presets is CPU intensive, so I thought I would have the same problems with the Space… but the Space works perfectly when changing presets (no noise whatsoever switching among algo’s).  

I’ve tried a few different algo’s on the H9 and the problem is consistent.  Changing preset with midi command on H9 produces loud pop.  VERY FRUSTRATING.

Any ideas?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

1) Do you get the noise if you load presets manually with the front panel ?

2) Do you have relay bypass enabled ?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.