H9 looper w/ Free The Tone ARC-3(Audio Routing Controller)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 looper w/ Free The Tone ARC-3(Audio Routing Controller)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      nilfuzzy

Hi 

I am trying to use ARC-3  with midi control which manufactured from Free The Tone

to control H9's new algorithm "Looper"

I've set the play , stop ,record ,…all the function into CC numbers w/ preset switch

Ex (preset5 -> rec , preset6-> play , preset7-> stop)

But when I change the preset switch,the H9's panel will show empty first

Can't be play or dub at all

Does someone has similar experience of this kind of controller?

brock
      Participant

nilfuzzy:

… I've set the play , stop ,record ,…all the function into CC numbers w/ preset switch

Ex (preset5 -> rec , preset6-> play , preset7-> stop)

But when I change the preset switch,the H9's panel will show empty first

Can't be play or dub at all …

You don't want to send a Program Change / preset message on the same switch as a Looper function.  In the Looper documentation (page 3), there are four methods listed for loading an H9 Looper preset.  You're using a 5th method (MIDI Program Change).  But all of them have the same thing in common:

Quote:
      Note: After a Looper Preset is loaded, the H9 will be in Looper mode, and the Looper State will be Empty.

Loading a preset "flushes" the Looper memory.  Keep your program changes alone on their own switches, and use six or more separate switches that send CCs to control the Looper functions.  Here's some more information on how I have that set up:  Exploring H9 Looper MIDI Control.

Another reason to separate PC & CC switches is that consecutive switch presses may toggle functions (such as Record & Dub, or Play position reset).  You wouldn't want to be reverting to an Empty preset every time that you switch modes.

You can reconfigure a single Looper preset using MIDI control over Parameters 1-10 [KB0-KB9].  That way, you can modify the base preset into "multiple presets" without flushing out the Looper memory to Empty [MT].

nilfuzzy

Thx for your reply!

I've tried to set my Arc-3 sending the cc# without any pc#

When in the looper mode,I stepped the rec preset , it started to rec

But when I stepped again the rec preset or play preset ,it showed play for a second

Then changed into empty ,it's pretty weird!! 

Do I miss anything?(I've tried to set the cc# over 64 too!)

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      … But when I stepped again the rec preset or play preset ,it showed play for a second

Then changed into empty ,it's pretty weird!! 

Do I miss anything?(I've tried to set the cc# over 64 too!)

I can only give you my best guesses, as there's no way for me to know how you have it programmed.  I had a look at the ver. 1.2 manual.  I'm not familiar with the ARC-3, but it looks to be a feature-rich controller.  I have no doubt that it will work as an H9 Looper controller, but it's going to take some experimentation on your part.

Edit – MIDI – (4) CSW CC# – I'd make sure that you're only send one CC message per switch (for now), rather than all eight possible CC#s.  Start simple, with CSW1.  Set CSW2-CSW8 to OFF (the default), and Parameter 3 on your chosen MIDI channel.

Edit – MIDI – (5) CSW SWITCH TYPE – My best guess on where the issue might be.  The default is LATCH.  You'll want to change that to MOMENTARY on each of the Looper function switches.

Edit – MIDI – (6) Control Change Number – I'm not sure here on whether Parameter 1 is the CC number, and Parameter 2 is the CC value here.  For the H9, you can select any CC number from 0-99.  Just make sure that it doesn't conflict with another assigned control parameter.  And you set the CC values over 64, so that should act as a momentary trigger for the loop functions.

Those Parameter 2 defaults are confusing (without an ARC-3 in front of me).  If they are CC numbers, then the defaults are too 'high' for the H9 to pick up [0-99].  If they are CC values, then I don't understand why the range would be 0-120.  It would make more sense to be CC numbers 0-120.

Or maybe I'm missing the whole configuration (such as the CC values are always sent at 127, and perhaps 0 in LATCH).  Hard to tell without an ARC-3 and a MIDI monitor.  But I hope something in here helped, and let me know if you're still stuck here.  It should work.  There's simply a missed setting somewhere.

nilfuzzy

Yes you are right! The problem is CSW SWITCH TYPE

I have to change LATCH to MOMENTARY to avoid sending double cc# to H9

Now it works fine 

Thx!!

rominprugado
      Participant

Hey, this resolved my problems!

I was trying to control my TimeFactor’s Looper with my Boss ES-5. I had chosen the CC numbers, but the TimeFactor did not respond to CC MIDI messages sent by ES-5.

So, I tried to put the CC numbers as an “Assign” in the ES-5, because there you can choose between momentary and latch (TGL) modes! I believe that the Looper only responds to CC numbers sent in momentary mode.

Thank you so much for the help!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.