H9 midi clock question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 midi clock question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      shooters00

I have a BeatBuddy drum pedal and a Boomerang III looper that I have been using together. It is setup so that the clock sync is sent when the drum pedal is playing, but not when it isn’t. This allows me to loop with and without the drum pedal.

Enter the H9. I was hoping that my delay would sync to the midi clock when the drum pedal is playing and allow me to set tap tempo myself when the drums are off. It does sync when on; however, when off, the pedal does not seem to respond to my tap tempo. It also seems to show a different bpm when the pedal is off.

Is there a way to accomplish this? Otherwise, I will just turn off receiving the clock.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If MIDIclock in is enabled, it ignores tap tempo – this is because these could fight each other and be very confusing.

I think you have the answer – " I will just turn off receiving the clock".

camn
      Participant

Not a great workaround- But you could set SOME h9 presets to specific BPMs, which would be independent of any external tempo.. and use those when not recieveing clock? But you wouldn’t get to adjust them with tap tempo

checazzvo
      Participant

I understand you can activate or de-activate MIDI Clock via sysex.

I use 2 H9 into a Boomerang, very nice to sync the looper with the H9 midi sync, but i need to stop the sync when changing songs or patches.

The MIDI clock tempo stays to the last tempo when changing presets. I need to just stop it.

I need to be able to do it via CC since my MIDI board does not send sysex messages. Is that possible?

Thank You

deathcheetah
      Participant

My H9 was working fine syncing to Ableton and now after the latest update no longer recognizes the tempo.  What happened?  I’ve tried everything!

Thanks,

Kevin

camn
      Participant

A) define ‘everything’?

B) can you screenshot your MIDI settings and post them?

deathcheetah
      Participant

I’ve changed every setting I can find to different values in Ableton midi settings as well as on the pedal and get nothing.  My Electribe ER 1 gets a signal fine and I have tried swapping out that midi cable just to make sure it’s not the cable.  I’ll attach a few screenshots of where the settings are now (pretty sure this is how I had them when it last worked as well).

Thanks!

bohan
      Eventide Staff

1. Does your H9 still receive other MIDI messages like MIDI PC or CC?

2. Make sure the USB cable is not connected. The 5-pin MIDI connection will be ignored if the USB port is connected.

deathcheetah
      Participant

I’m not sure – I don’t use it for other functions. Just tempo control. USB cable is not connected;)

deathcheetah
      Participant

Yeah, I am aware of that.  Doesn’t seem to have any effect.

camn
      Participant

deathcheetah- 

You setting on the H9 side seem fine, given your Algo is looking for tempo.

You did mention you had updated.. so I ~assume~ you are on the latest version.

I am on version 5.8.5.1.. so the theory is the Update broke MIDI clock. Notably, I havn’t run MIDI clock in a while, and I tried recently and failed. I maybe didnt hook it up right, so I am going to test again. 

I get successful clock using a generic USB cable and MIDI-OX. So the update ~itself~ is not broken. Could it have mis-installed? Maybe. In that case a reset might help. Might it be on the Ableton side? Maybe. Can you send clock from a different program to test?

camn
      Participant

I also, just now after some fiddling, finally got is working on Cubase. 

So try

A different clock source- if failure,

a  reset, if failure, all of the below:

tell us your version,

show us the Algo,

and your Ableton Tempo/MIDI settings (someone else will have to confirm these, I use Cubase)

shooters00
      nickrose wrote:

If MIDIclock in is enabled, it ignores tap tempo – this is because these could fight each other and be very confusing.

And yet, I have a device that handles that just fine. Too bad.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      checazzvo wrote:

I understand you can activate or de-activate MIDI Clock via sysex.

I need to be able to do it via CC since my MIDI board does not send sysex messages. Is that possible?

Sorry – only sysex.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      deathcheetah wrote:
      I’m not sure – I don’t use it for other functions. Just tempo control. USB cable is not connected;)

Also you need to turn on the Tempo mode of the curently loaded preset, otherwise it wouldn't respond to the MIDI clock. Some algorithms don't have Tempo Mode at all (For example, EQ and distortion algorithms)

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      deathcheetah wrote:

Yeah, I am aware of that.  Doesn't seem to have any effect.

If you are sure Electribe ER 1 gets the clock correctly, try to reset your H9 (powering up with HOTKNOB button and the right footswitch pressed), or reinstall the firmware.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.