H9 Sculpt and Wah

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Sculpt and Wah

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mikiway

Hello, I’m new here.

Sorry if the topic already exists, I really did some research before I created this new one.

Here are my questions: first the easy one.

1-I’m considering to order a Morley M2 Passive Voltage Control Expression Pedal to connect it with the H9. (since I’ve got a good feeling with Morley pedals for a long time now). Did someone here experiment with it? Any impressions on the matter?

2-I’m spending time with the sculpt algorythm right now. And since I play violin, some adjustments are to be made, but I can’t get where to start with… please, any hints or methods to help me in my research are welcome.

brock
      Participant

Forgive me, but it’s unclear whether “Sculpt” and “Wah” are interrelated here.  Sculpt’s filter sweeps are triggered from your playing technique (envelope control).  There are probably better ways [CrushStation; Q-Wah; … even Resonator] to control wah-like filter sweeps from an expression pedal.

I’m also curious (before making any recommendations) about whether you’re using an H9 Core or Max, or what algos you have at your disposal.  That out of the way …

1).  No experience with Morley’s EXP PED, but good product line.  Contact Morley to see whether that pedal falls in a 10K-25K impedance range.  I can’t find that info anywhere (including the manual), and that’s what the H9 like to “see” at its expression input.  It probably does, but to be on the safe side.  Otherwise, it looks like a good match.  Not sure if it can “park” between heel & toe positions.

2).  I can help you with some starting points on Sculpt … depending on what you’re specifically looking for.  Distorted violin; compression; filter effects?  I’m sure that I have other Sculpt examples posted around the forum, but this might be interesting on violin.  Spectral Panning.  It’s an often overlooked feature of Sculpt, and it should ‘sum to mono’ almost as well as it works in a stereo setup:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/sculpting-some-spectral-panning-fx

Mikiway

Wait, my first post on this forum got a reply from… Brock? Like… Zach Brock? Awesome!

I’m using H9 Max. I went for the widest range of possibilities from the start. So all algos are at my disposal.

1) Thanks for the advice, I’ll contact Morley right away.

2) I asked two separate questions in the same post but your’re right: Sculpt and Wah might be interrelated.

One of the things I’m trying to achieve in the present case would be some kind of distorted Steve Vai-ish sound. The expression pedal would be used as I used the Bad Horsie 2 Wah pedal, but with more control over the course from heel to toe, since the Bad Horsie did some dramatically changes in the output volume.

On the other hand, I’m openminded and ready to start searching for something totally different, so thanks for the link. I’ve yet so much to learn, I never thought I could use the algorythm that way.

brock
        Participant
        Mikiway wrote:

Wait, my first post on this forum got a reply from… Brock? Like… Zach Brock? Awesome!

I can’t take that kind of credit.  Just another Eventide user, on one of the few forums I frequent.  Tom Brockway.  As far back as I can remember, I’ve always been called some variation on “brock”.

So you have a Max.  Good; it’s the most cost-effective approach, in the long run.  Plus you have the true power & choices (present & future) of an H9 at your disposal.  You’ll find that sometimes, there are 3,4,5 different ways to ‘skin a cat’.  Each of those algorithms may add a unique advantage or three to whatever sound design / effect you’re programming.  And sometimes, you uncover a ‘happy accident’.

Mikiway wrote:
        … One of the things I’m trying to achieve in the present case would be some kind of distorted Steve Vai-ish sound. The expression pedal would be used as I used the Bad Horsie 2 Wah pedal, but with more control over the course from heel to toe, since the Bad Horsie did some dramatically changes in the output volume …

I’m at a bit of a disadvantage right now, because I’m completely packed up, and between studio spaces.  So I can’t really voice a Bad Horsie 2 emulation at the moment.  But it did remind me of a Systech Overdrive / Triskelion preset from a few years back, using CrushStation.  I’m thinking it’s going to be a little over-the-top for your application here, but it could be a starting point that you can tame down a little.

Source Post w/ Short Description:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/26662#comment-26662

camn
      Participant

The MINI M2 seems to work fine:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/morley-m2-mini-expression-pedal

So the M2 is probably fine, too. 

Though there are plenty of more proven-compatable EXP pedals- if you wanted something less… gigantic 🙂

Mikiway
      camn wrote:

The MINI M2 seems to work fine:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/morley-m2-mini-expression-pedal

So the M2 is probably fine, too.

Though there are plenty of more proven-compatable EXP pedals- if you wanted something less… gigantic 🙂

I got the reply from Morley:

Bill Wenzloff Tech Support/Customer Service wrote:
      The pot in the M2VC is a 10K

You’re right anyway, I should keep my eyes open for the case I find something even better.

the bloomery looks cute for instance.

Thanks a lot, Tom. Now that I have a starting point, I’ll spend some time testing and taming this week-end. I’ll be back for some feedback.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.