H90 Sending MIDI messages when saving program?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Sending MIDI messages when saving program?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      dbezona
      Participant

Having an unexpected behavior when saving a program on my H90.

I have MIDI set to “transmit”, and am using a three button AUX switch attached to the H90, configured to send CC messages to my KHE amp switcher. It works great, but if I do a “save” on the H90, the KHE seems to get some messages it doesn’t like, and will actually reboot.

Is there a reason”save” would output MIDI messages? Can I do anything to make it not do that?

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hello,

Are you using the pedal or H90 Control to save your Program when this happens?

I just tested this using a MIDI monitor app. When saving using the pedal, the only MIDI message I am seeing when a Program is saved is the MIDI PC message for the Program that is being saved (example: save Program 40 and it sends MIDI PC 40). When saving using H90 Control, there is some additional SySex data being sent, perhaps this could be causing the issue with your amp switcher.

If you are using H90 Control to save the Program, can you please try saving using the pedal (press and hold the Programs button) and letting me know if the issue still happens?

dbezona
      Participant

I’ve tried this both ways, and this actually tracks with some variations in behavior I saw from the<span style=”font-size: inherit;”> switcher.
      </span>

Saving from the pedal seems to just deselect the amp and cab on the switcher, which makes sense if a PC message is being set – it would effectively activate an empty preset on the switcher.

Saving from H90 Control ultimately causes the switcher to reboot, presumably from the sysex traffic.

It doesn’t seem desirable to transmit any MIDI messages at all on save though? I can probably live with the “save from pedal” behavior by making sure I have a corresponding preset on the switcher that has a usable configuration, but it’s not ideal.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for the information.

Can you provide some more information about your setup? If your H90’s MIDI output is connected to the amp switcher, I would assume that the reason for this is you want to load Programs on the H90 and have corresponding amp settings, so you would need to configure this per Program.

If that is not the case, what is the goal of your setup and having the H90 transmit MIDI messages to the amp switcher?

dbezona
      Participant

I am not using per-program amp settings. I have a 3 button AUX switch connected to the H90, with each switch configured to select a different amp on the switcher with a MIDI CC.

This is a smaller board, so the goal is to use the H90 partly as a simple MIDI controller for the amp switcher in lieu of a dedicated controller.

I mostly just use a single H90 program, and have a couple of other external effects in the inserts that I control with an additional 2 button aux switch.

It all works just how I want it, unless I need to make a tweak to the program “on the fly” and the “save” makes the amp switcher sad.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Thank you. I’m sorry, I’m not sure if there is anything else I can suggest without introducing some other devices to filter MIDI information, etc. We may add some options in the future to filter which MIDI messages the H90 sends.

Are you able to configure your amp’s presets so that there are no empty presets? That is the best solution I can think of.

dbezona
      Participant

I appreciate you taking the time to talk this over. Now that I know what message(s) are actually being sent – and in particular knowing to avoid saving from H90 Control in my case – I can work around it.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

You’re welcome. Sorry for the inconvenience.

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hi again,

I was mistaken with my test before. My MIDI monitor was showing information from the DIN and USB outputs of the H90. The DIN outputs alone do not have any SySex information when using H90 Control to save Programs, it’s just PC messages. I’m not sure what may be causing your issues when only saving using H90 Control since it is always just sending PC messages.

We may be able to troubleshoot this further if you’d like. It would be helpful if you had some other MIDI devices and a way to monitor MIDI messages.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.