Midi cables

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Midi cables

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      fkalich
      Participant

Hi: As you probably realize, Midi cables can take up a lot of room by the increased spacing they force on the pedal board.  You can put one of the Stomp Boxes further back, but that means it is further away from you, which I find undesirable.

So I did find some right angle Midi cables, Hosa, but unfortunately the pin configuration matches up poorly. For some reason the 5 pin half moon is on opposite sides on the two plugs.  On one of them the plug angle points straight up, on the other straight down. I could drill a hole for the down pointed one in the pedal board, but all in all this sort of sucks, it would be better if the plug angle pointed to the side.  Any suggestions?

NikosGuitar

Hi!

Sorry but not help here,i am on the same situation like you!

I had listened that the Hosa midi cables is the best solution,because there are right angled(very helpfull for the pedalboard!)

but i was on the road to order them,until i read your post.

So,if there's anyone who have any suggestion it will be very helpfull for me and my friend upstairs

thom
      Participant

Yes, same problem here. I did do an extensive search and managed to find a company that does right angle midi cables with a rotoating end of some sort, so you can configure them as required. I don't have the link anymore and didn't pursue these as there was some problem with them shipping internationally. They are in the States I believe (I am in the UK).  I managed to find midi cables with one straight end and one right angle ( the right angle end points upwards when plugged into one of the Eventides) on Ebay.

thom
      Participant

Further to my previous post I just did a quick search: try best-tronics, they do right angle midi cables with the rotating ends. It also looks like they have updated their ordering options as it looks like they ship internationally, (unless I was mistaken last time I looked). You can specify length and colour as well, look very good.

Har
      Participant

I got the Hosa right-angle MIDI cables myself and didn't realize the problem until I started to hook everything up….

My solution ain't exactly the most elegant-looking, but has certainly worked just fine for now: I raised up the pedal receiving the MIDI data – my PitchFactor – up on a small pair of 1"x2" pieces of wood! Smile

fkalich
      Participant

Good idea,   As I have 3 boxes, I would only have to elevate the middle one, allowing the side boxes to interface with the upward pointed side of the cable.  So not bad.  I will consider those cables mentioned by others that can be ordered  with the angle where you want it, however I think it would be over $60 with shipping, a bit pricey.  I think I will try your idea for now unless somebody comes up with a more attractive (and equally cheap) option.

NikosGuitar

Hello!

Any luck here?
      right angle-"pedalboard friendly"-cheap Midi cable?

-Nikos

guitarlesson

No options that are cheap I'm afraid. The switchcraft plugs used by best-tronics are worth the investment though. They are solid steel and will last forever. You get what you pay for. (Trust me, Hosa is just BAD NEWS and I only use them when it's an emergency.)

I checked mouser.com to see if they had them cheaper. Only marginally so. Best-tronics bust buy them in high volumes. With the cost of cable, the shipping and the hassle of soldering them yourself, $26 for a single custom best-tronics MIDI cable is actually a decent deal. I spent $80-90 on 4 cables, and that's when components were cheaper.

NikosGuitar

Thank you!

-Nikos

fkalich
      Participant

I did come up with a cheap solution. You can get that from MusiciansFriend, they have had free shipping on everything for some time.  I got a female midi coupler for $3.50.  I already had two midi cables with asymmetric pin configurations.  As I only desire at this point to connect two of my eventide stomps with midi, this works well for me, you need two of the cheaper midi cables with every connection using this solution.    My two midi cables are 3 feet, but they do have 1 foot lengths.    Just thought that I would add this option to the thread.  Not that it is the best for everyone, but it exists for consideration.

alejandroll
      Participant
      mistercharlie
      Participant

I use these. Dirt cheap from Thomann, and each end is 180-degrees reversed compared to the other.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockboard_flat_midi_cable_100cm_black.htm

davebrubaker
      Participant

I think these One Control Midi Hammers are the smallest:

mistercharlie
      Participant

No, the ones I linked above are almost flat.

davebrubaker
      Participant

Those look pretty interesting. Does the the cable trail down, left or right? 

mistercharlie
      Participant

Each plug points a different way, so you can choose which end to use. It doesn’t always work out, but most of the time you can do what you want.

davebrubaker
      Participant

So I’m guessig they trail left or right, not up and down?

mistercharlie
        Participant
        davebrubaker wrote:

So I’m guessig they trail left or right, not up and down?

Exactly.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

https://reverb.com/item/5817928-free-the-tone-cm-3510-angled-adjustable-midi-cable-30cm-or-11-8

https://reverb.com/item/5817935-free-the-tone-cm-3510-angled-adjustable-midi-cable-50cm-or-19-6

I've used it for a while and it's really good. It has a free-angle cap structure that allows 360-degree access at all angles and miniature L-plugs.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.