MIDI Controller Expression pedal vs AUX Expression Pedal

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI Controller Expression pedal vs AUX Expression Pedal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You will hopefully get comments from other than me, but…

1) If you plug an external pedal into a MIDI controller, you may encounter the same issues as plugging an unsuitable pedal into an H9.

2) There is a risk with a MIDI pedal of a slight "rubberiness," due to the indirect connection. Depends on the pedal.

3) On the bright side, it frees up the AUX socket.

cljfford
      Participant

I read that the H9 works with certain Expression pedals and not as well with others, so I was looking at maybe getting a Mission SP-H9 and an AUX switch. Then I read more about MIDI foot controllers and learned that certain ones offer even more control and options than a single pedal and 2 or 3 AUX switches.

I am wondering if it is the same difference to the H9 if it gets the expression pedal data from MIDI or from the AUX? Through a MIDI controller, it wouldn’t matter if the expression pedal was a $140 Mission or a $40 Moog EP-3, right?

There’s a context for everything but does it always make more sense to get a MIDI controller, with it’s expanded control options, or are there advantages to using the AUX that I am not aware of?

spaceJam
      cljfford wrote:

Through a MIDI controller, it wouldn’t matter if the expression pedal was a $140 Mission or a $40 Moog EP-3, right?

Correct.

However, H9 can’t handle expression through MIDI very well, it’s not as smooth and fast as using an expression pedal straight into the AUX/EXP port.

brock
      Participant

A continuous pedal action would be more versatile than switched input.  The advantages of Aux switches – or switching over MIDI – are the instant jumps between two parameter values, the ability to set specific limits on those values (or reverse them), plus a choice between momentary or latching behavior.

There are also ‘hybrid’ methods for overlaying a switch action on the expression pedal mappings. Ideally, you’d have both types of control (continuous & switching) available. Select one based on the effect that you’re after.

cljfford
      Participant

Thank you for the informative replies. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.