Multiple H9s

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Multiple H9s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      KCStratman
      Participant

After acheiving Max algorithm collection and adding a third H9 to my pedalboard, I designate the units A, B, and C and organize their effects presets by type and order desired, typically (pre-fx) looper, modulation, delay, reverb, (post-fx) looper, but total flexibility is available.

A simple flow chart helps envision the choices at hand (and foot):

A typical Pink Floyd-esque solo triple combo would be:

Or this rockabilly / country blues delight:

brock
      Participant

Badass.

KCStratman
      Participant

Thanks and I really like your multi-algo presets examples although many are beyond me it has made me think to unleash the power of the expression pedal to powerfully morph effects with multiple small range sweeps and some reverse-parameter sweeps. That's one feature in H9 Control that isn't easy to see (maybe "exp. pedal arc endpoints around parameter knobs change color to indicate forward or reverse sweep" could add to wish list) so some users may not be aware you can drag the arc endpoints back over each other to reverse the sweep direction on individual parameter knobs but they stay white and appear the same until you move the pedal or lightning bolt and see the knob sweep backwards. One example on a delay is to increase intensity and feedback repeats sweeping forward from heel to toe while slurm or modulation sweeps backwards to increase clarity over time of repeats, or eq filters sweep backwards, or vice versa, etc.                             

brock
      Participant

I had a much longer reply written above (describing my loosely similar setup), but I inadvertently switched pages and lost it.  But it did jokingly add "now all you need is an EHX 8 Step Program slid in after your expression pedal".  It takes up some real estate, but I don't know that I could do without that processor now.

The multiple EXP PED routings can be difficult, but the H9 Control method is miles ahead of the way we did it in the Stompboxes.  I try to concentrate on one at a time, then a pair of routings, then fold in the third …  The visual (virtual) knob direction helps, but I usually know pretty much what I'm after when I'm programming multiple routings in.

Another thing to watch for is the "sync" between H9 Control visual feedback and the actual setting in the pedal itself.  In many algorithms, they're not the same.  For example, you may see EXP PED, but it's actually SAMPHOLD in the pedal.  A little further clockwise, and a visible EXP PED setting shifts to audible EXP PED results.

It's not just 1 or 2 algorithms, or in earlier versions of H9 Control.  In the Looper algo, I'll have AUTOPLAY set and saved in H9 Control, and the pedal will be in a LOOP PlayMode.  I have to bring it to a 3 o'clock position (almost to RE-DIRECT …) to get AUTOPLAY to "stick".

caribefatboy
      Participant

Interesting signal path! I also have three H9s and have two different set-ups. My mono rig has all three in the FX loop of my Tweaker 40. My stereo rig uses my Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 with my dry tone out a 1×12 and my wet sound derives from the CAB CLONE SEND into my Onyx 1220i with two H9s each using separate mono AUX SENDS with stereo returns to my PA. This gives me a wet-dry-wet sound image which is killer, at least in my home studio, which is where I play most of the time.

i also love a compressor and use the carl martin in front of both amps.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.