PF and MF Syncing to MIDI Clock but not TF

Home Forums Products Stompboxes PF and MF Syncing to MIDI Clock but not TF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jufros

I can't figure out what the problem is, but my PF and MF are syncing to my Moog MP-201 controller's midi clock just fine, while the TF is having issues.  The bizarre thing is, the TF will display the same BPM value as the other two pedals, but will "start" the count at a completely different time.  What's going on?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Don't understand what you mean by "start the count"

Also, what version do you have, what preset does this occur on, etc, etc. Sigh.

jufros

I'm running the latest software versions on all 3 Eventide pedals and this happens uniformly on all presets.  My MIDI chain is…

Moog MP-201 MIDI OUT -> Pithfactor MIDI IN

Pitchfactor MIDI THRU -> Modfactor MIDI IN

Modfactor MIDI THRU -> Timefactor MIDI IN

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

nickrose:

Don't understand what you mean by "start the count"

jufros

Ok right.  What I mean is that while each pedal will display, for instance, 120 BPM, "1" will not occur simultaneously in real time.  The "1" on the Timefactor might occur while the Pitchfactor has already reached the & of "1" (if we were to subdivide 4/4 beats into 8th notes).  Does that make sense?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Assuming I understand you, you are saying that the units have the same BPM but are not synchronized to the beat.

I suspect this is inevitable – MIDIclock does not have a beat indication (it's essentially a stream of pulses) so there is no way to do this. There might be some way we could use the MIDI start command, but this only really makes sense in a sequencer/sampler environment.

Maybe we'll get some ideas (or someone out there can help), but I don't see a solution here. One could perhaps use MIDI time code or such, but this would be getting excessive for what is after all a guitar pedal

jufros

I know exactly what you mean and I do see your point.  I think the problem might be due to the daisy chaining rather than the nature of MIDI clock data itself.  The bypass looping equipment is currently after the Eventides for this very reason, but it might make sense to try out one of those MIDI Solutions MIDI THRU boxes before I give up and resign my entire live rig.

I do understand that these stompbox units were intended to fill an existing void in the ever exploding high end guitar effects pedal world, but with the exception of the Pitchfactor, the Eventide pedals don't exactly make up the bread and butter of my sounds.  That being said, the Timefactor and Modfactor sound fantastic and do almost everything that I need them to do to add some flavoring at the end of my chain.  I gig a lot and feel like these pedals have definitely helped me break into the live hip hop and electronica scene as a bassist in a really great way.  I bought them because I didn't want to rely on a rig any larger than a head, compressor, cab, and PT-Pro to do what I have to do.

So, I'd definitely be interested in any workaround ideas.  I'm really satisfied with everything on my board and if I can resolve this issue, I'll be done with gear for a really long time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.