Timefactor + Space MIDI clocks

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Timefactor + Space MIDI clocks

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      delorean666
      Participant

Greetings.

I’d like to know if it’s possible to have a Timefactor to send its tempo/bpm via MIDI into a Space, and then have the Space send that same clock out via MIDI into another device which can accept MIDI clock sync?

Has anyone ever done this, and if so, can you point me in the right direction please?
      Thank you.

brock
      Participant

If all you’re after is MIDI Clock sync, then you don’t have to be concerned about MIDI Channels, Program or Control Change system settings.  Otherwise, it gets more involved.  I’m sure Joe has some slick videos up on the subject, but here is the basic layout:

TimeFactor -> MIDI cable from OUT/THRU to Space MIDI IN

• System settings – MIDI:
      • [OUTPUT] XMT
      • MIDICLK OUT – ON

SPACE -> MIDI cable from OUT/THRU to 3rd Device MIDI IN (set device to receive MIDI Clock)

• [OUTPUT] THRU
      • MIDICLK IN – ON

3rd device -> set device to receive MIDI Clock

delorean666
      Participant

If all you’re after is MIDI Clock sync, then you don’t have to be concerned about MIDI Channels, Program or Control Change system settings. Otherwise, it gets more involved. I’m sure Joe has some slick videos up on the subject, but here is the basic layout: TimeFactor -> MIDI cable from OUT/THRU to Space MIDI IN

• [OUTPUT] XMT
      • MIDICLK OUT – ON

SPACE -> MIDI cable from OUT/THRU to 3rd Device MIDI IN (set device to receive MIDI Clock)

• [OUTPUT] THRU
      • MIDICLK IN – ON

3rd device -> set device to receive MIDI Clock

Thanks, I’ve set it up like you wrote. This gets the clock correctly to the third device, but the Space freezes in the process and I can’t turn it on anymore.

It only starts responding again when I unplug the MIDI cable.

brock
      Participant

I think we just went beyond my remote diagnostics capability.  Your TimeFactor & Space are both updated to the latest versions?  All I can think of is that perhaps Space’ MIDICLK OUT is also set to ON as well (default is OFF, though).

I guess you could try both devices with MIDICLK OUT: ON, and set the Space [OUTPUT] to THRU + C, as a pure diagnostic test.

delorean666
      Participant

Okay I’ve tried a couple of things, and it seems like a hardware issue of some sort.

Here’s how I connected it:

Timefactor MIDI OUT –> Space MIDI IN
      Space MIDI OUT –> external-device MIDI IN

I have the Timefactor sending the MIDI clock, and the Space set to receive the clock and also send the MIDI it receives through.
      My external device sets the clock correctly when I input it through the Tap Tempo on the Timefactor, but funnily enough the Space
      freezes in the process. And I found out that I can unfreeze the Space when I unplug the MIDI cable from the Timefactor –> Space
      connection and then the BPM is set correctly on the Space as well. At the moment the Space freezes, I cannot even use the footswitch
      for bypassing it.

I can repeatedly make this happen by plugging the cable in, setting the tempo via Timefactor Tap Tempo, and unplugging the cable.

delorean666
      Participant

Update:

It turns out it works normally if I make the Space the clock master and have the MIDI chain as: Space –> Timefactor –> external. Weird.

brock
      Participant

Good to hear.  Sometimes it’s the little things … gremlins.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.