- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Modfactor: FX “types”… definitions? Reply To: Modfactor: FX “types”… definitions?

DGillespie
Eventide Staff

Hey Crysstalized,

I'm probably the one who needs to answer this question and I've been swamped recently, thanks for waiting.

So let's see, chorus:

The liquid style chorus tends to give you a pretty subtle sound, it's a great chorus to use when you want to add some weight to your sound without sounding like you're using a chorus.  It's also great to use after a little bit of distortion or overdrive because no matter what it will never turn into a flanger. (This is pretty rare with chorus sounds)

The organic style chorus is closest to the one in the timefactor.  It's 2 voices modulated against each other and you can control the amount of overlap with the xnob.  Also by using the second LFO controls you can create Polymod style sounds similar to the ones from the Eclipse, though not exactly.

The shimmer style chorus is an ambient style chorus, using the xnob for feedback can get you some Kurt Cobain style sounds; though it's not supposed to be a clone of that pedal.

For the Flangers you can sum the dry and wet signals either in phase or out of phase (positive or negative).  Jet is indeed intense negative, in beta we had some requests for a flanger that totally takes over your sound and this is that.  All these combinations will give you different sounds and they best thing to do is just play with them; though Positive is probably the most common for previously existing pedals all are available.  Through Zero flanging is achieved my modulating the 2 signals against each other through the same point in time.  The difference is that in most flangers the sound gets higher and higher and tension builds, then it turns and starts going down again, but you never actually get ther.  In a through zero flanger the tension builds but the flange just keeps going and goes right through the wall and ends up on the other side.  At that "wall" point the sound can either dissapear completely (right channel) or double in intensity (left channel).  I think it has the effect of being a more mellow sound because it doesn't allow the tension to keep building up.

For Phasers, Positive and Negative are similar to what I said about flangers, Feedback simply forgoes the dry signal and therefore gives yet another flavor.  For BiPhase I had implemented my favorite features of that great Mu-Tron effect which are the 2 phasers in series with the LFO1 driving them either with or against each other.  The actual Bi-Phase itself has so many different features that we wouldn't have space in the pedal or on the controls to do them all.

You've got good ears on the Vibrato, modern/vintage is digital/BBD style delays. 

I hope that answers your questions.