- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW in a live guitar rig Reply To: H8000FW in a live guitar rig

Topas

Hello Italo,

I must say I am suprised at the speed and depth of the answers here in the forum. Great job! Do you care to go through your answer and debate a few things?

-chorus and flanger sound best after a preamp

No debate, this is right.

-boost is generally used before a preamp to get a different kind of "crunch", particularly with tube preamps.

Yes, this is a very valid use. However, if you have two channel preamp and you want to boost the volume for a guitar lead, you must use boost after preamp (given you use the dirty channel), or you just change the tone, not the volume.

In theory you could use one DSP pre_preamp and the other post_preamp, but it would be very likely a waste of resources. I would use a simple analog wah after your guitar and let the 2 DSPs take care of fx that will sound better after a line level signal. In addition to this, you'd need to create your own pre_preamp presets, learning our Vsigfile algorithm editor for PC.

If this could be so easy… in our more complex songs, there are moments when you have to turn off the wah, change channel on the amp, turn off chorus and reverb etc etc etc, preferrably with just single click to the wah (or parking it to 0 position). I have analog pedalboard whose sound I am happy with, but the complexity of the switching is forcing me to move to rack solution. Anyway, even with the wah out of way, there is the compressor, which would be better to have pre-preamp.

I am not afraid of the Vsigfile, just it would be good to know if it's even possible.

Another problem may be loading a monolithic preset, as this runs on a single DSP A, making B disappear from the routing. Not a good way to go.

Since most of the more intensive algorithms would be used post-preamp, would it be better to use DSP A post-preamp and DPS B pre-preamp? Would the signal travel through the DSP B unaffected, if the DSP A would run a monolithic preset?

Virtual Rack is not a "mode", it's a collection of presets containing 4 or 5 hi_quality stereo machines (pretty much like a full rack). A MIDI Virtual Rack can store up to 10 different tweaks in it, including the on/off status of each fx AND the values of all parameters labeled with an asterisk (*). A single MIDI CC is patched to the TWEAK knob…so if your MIDI pedalboard can send a midi CC message w/a specific numeric value like 1 to 10, then you'll be able to recall any of the internal tweaks without changing preset. That' not even fast..it's NOW…INSTANT!

I have looked at the virtual rack and it looks pretty well. Just what I need 🙂

There is a wah wah….but honestly, dedicating a 2500$ sinbgle dsp to that is (IMHO) a waste. You can get much more than that.

Yes, it is pretty over the board 🙂 However, the compressor is before preamp too and I would like to have a few filters there as well (let's say acoustic guitar simulator etc).

"Good and sensible way" ? It's just THE best way!

cheers

I

Yeah, I know it can't get really better than that 🙂

Sincerely Topas