- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes switching between BPM and ms, no catchup Reply To: switching between BPM and ms, no catchup

Oscar Raap

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes I know about fine adjustment with the decoder.

Basically it's a matter of workflow. Obviously bpm and ms are different parameters, but there is correlation between the two. I don't want to choose between either bpm or ms setup, I want to switch between the two whenever I want. I don't want to use diagrams of the relation between ms and bpm. I want the unit to calculate for me. Also, I want to work without pen en paper when I make changes, so the unit needs to be clear on when and how changes are made. I don't want the unit to get in the way of my workflow.

I usually start by setting the bpm of a song. Then if I want changes I want to make them in ms and not in bpm. With the TF, after I turn tempo off, it is not clear to me whether the displayed time is the setting for delay A or B.  As soon as I use the delay knobs I either lose the setting I was in or I find that the delay A and B are in fact not set according to the delay time I had programmed using bpm.

So there are two problems. There is no way of knowing what the unit is doing to delay A and B, because 1. catchup doesn't work when you turn off tempo, and 2. the software editor doesn't provide a readout for the various parameter numbers.

The second problem is that I need to set delay A and B again to make sure they are actually set according to the desired time. This doubles my workflow.

In summary, yes it really is as complicated as it sounds. By contrast, if I use a rack processor all I need to do is push a button to change between BPM and ms and thats it! The settings stay as they should, no need to do any reprogramming.

If Eventide can improve at least one of the above problems, then i can work with it, because the unit is good in other respects. If not, it's either making notes and live with the inconvenience, or returning the unit and go for something more practical in terms of information display.

Thx Oscar