- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount Eclipse Analog Outs Reply To: Eclipse Analog Outs

jamminout

OK, I think I have the picture in general; the FAQs and posts have been excellent. I'll review a bit to be sure I got it and then inquire about two set-ups.

What throws me off is the "relative" db thing. I have thought in "absolute" terms (instrument level is 1/2 volt, line level is one volt, etc.) So, simply put, +4db is reference to line level and -10db is reference to instrument level.

I also basically understand the balanced/unbalanced issue, and the need to "make" the cables required for balanced-to-unbalanced connections (XLRs to 1/4"): keeping the Eclipse inputs and outputs BALANCED, while unbalancing the other ends connected to the unbalanced guitar equipment.

1) One thing I'm not sure I understand. I will use balanced cables and follow the manual on how to unbalance the TRS end of the connection. The manual says:

Pin #1 is ground
Pin #2 is positive phase (hot)
Pin #3 is negative phase (cold)
To "unbalance" use pins #1 and #3 as ground and use pin #2 as "hot"

a. Is this saying Pin #2 (hot) is the 1/4" plug's "Tip"? If so, then I can understand that Pins 1 & 3 would simply be "Sleeve" & "Ring" shorted.

b. I ask because the XLR to 1/4" cables I've found are said to be Pin #3 (hot). Does this mean there are different XLR to 1/4" cables with different wiring configurations and I've found the wrong ones?

If so, then I can understand that I need to either find the right ones and only short pins 1 & 3; or start from scratch and rewire all three pins on the TRS end accordingly.

2) Now to be sure I understand the right cables for my two set-ups:

a. For live rig (series loop):

Mesa Loop Send > G-Major Mono In = TS instrument cable
G-Major Mono Out > Eclipse Ch. 1 In = TRS (don't unbalance) to XLR (bal) cable
Eclipse Ch. 1 Out > Mesa Loop Return = XLR (bal) to TRS (do unbalance) cable

b. For recording direct (series loop):

Mesa Loop Send > G-Major Mono In = TS instrument cable
G-Major "L" Out > Eclipse Ch. 1 In = TRS (don't unbalance) to XLR (bal) cable
G-Major "R" Out > Eclipse Ch. 2 In = TRS (don't unbalance) to XLR (bal) cable
Eclipse Ch. 1 Out > Interface Ch. 1 = XLR (bal) to TRS (don't unbalance) cable
Eclipse Ch. 2 Out > Interface Ch. 2 = XLR (bal) to TRS (don't unbalance) cable

c. I guess I won't be doing both simultaneously since I'm not sure how to at this point (using line levels everywhere).

3) If this looks correct, the only question I have is whether or not I should go balanced-to-balanced between the G-Major and Eclipse (since both are balanced I/Os it seems like I should). I noted this with "don't unbalance." Same question with the Eclipse-to-Interface (both of which are balanced).

4) One final matter I did not see any posts about. Am I fine going G-Major > Eclipse? I want to use them together at times. Am I MUCH better off switching between them instead? Only a little better off, or no difference really?

Thank you. I think I am nearly there; time to fire this thing up and …
Jam