- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount H8000FW pedals and foot switches strange behavior Reply To: H8000FW pedals and foot switches strange behavior

Petja

Ok, I did some shooting.

It's time consuming, sorry for the delay.

Starting with clearing setup in service menu.

Connect Boss FS-5U (unlatched) swich type pedal with mono cable to pedal 1, and another one to pedal 2.

In the pedal setup page, pedal 1 goes from 0%(not pressed) to jumping between 99.3% and 99.6% when pressed. Easily compensated by lowering the toe value a bit. No worries here. However, pedal 2 goes only to about 79% when pressed. This is easily compensated also, but it's interesting that swapping pedals does not change anything, it's still pedal 2 in the setup that doesn't go to full when pressed. I'm absolutely positive there are no issues with cabling or with the pedals themselves.

After adjusting heel and toe values both pedals work fine in the pedal setup page. Then go to levels, select only "dsp A out 1 wet/dry" (or some other), assign pedal 1 to it, press done. Now it is getting interesting: back in the machine A mix-page a blinking underline has appeared under "A out 4 wet/dry" (or some other), when I press the pedal, all 8 wet/dry levels on that page change values between 0% and 81%, according to the state of the pedal, (in the pedal setup menu it works full range) still only out 4 having the blinking underline, which I surely did not want to remote in the first place. I select the underlined out 4 to find out the assingnment is off, as it should, but the blinking stays, and the pedal still controls all 8 mixes. This "stickiness" and false assignments appearing at the mix page(s) is very random. And sometimes they seem impossible to remove.   I have NOT managed to reproduce any of this behavior two times EXACTLY the same way. It is always different.

Let's take another view and another pedal.

Starting with clearing setup in service menu.

Connect Ernie Ball 25k volume pedal (or Yamaha FC7 with switched polarity, or whatever) with standard insert cable to pedal 1 and it works perfectly in the pedal setup page. I go to pedal 2 (nothing connected to that) and see the percentage jumping between 96 and 99% all by itself, heel 0 toe 100, no physical pedal connected to pedal 2. 

In the levels machine A mix page I assign pedal 1 to out 1-4 wet/dry (or any other combination), pedal works fine but somehow out 3 wet/dry (or some other) does NOT have the blinking underline, still, the pedal controls it. Does not seem to affect the blinking misbehavior wether I choose the parameters "ganged" or individually.

Go back to pedals setup, connect a switch type unlatched pedal to pedal 2 jack with a mono cable. It goes from 0 to 100 as expected needing less than 1% adjusting of heel and toe values to work full range. It is the same physical pedal with the same physical cable in the same pedal 2 input, which in the previous example, few hours ago, wouldn't go above 79% without heavy adjustment of the toe value.

Disconnect the expression pedal from the pedal 1 jack and replace it with a momentary unlatched pedal, it switches values between 0 and 78% only, without heavy adjustment of toe value in the setup menu.  It is the same physical pedal with the same physical cable in the same pedal 1 input, which in the previous example, few hours ago, would go full range with very minor adjustments.  I adjust the toe value accordingly, to make it full range again.

Back in the levels menu I can confirm the switch pedal (1) controls machine A out 1-4 wet/dry as it should, out 3 still not underlined, but controlled properly by the pedal.

And finally a third example for the record: I had two unlatched swithes connected to pedal 1 and 2 respectively, with mono cables. When I pressed pedal 1, it worked as it should, but pedal 2 jumped like crazy as long as the pedal 1 was held. And same thing other way round, pedal 1 value freaked as long pedal 2 was held. This happened solely in the pedal setup menu, pedals were not assigned to anything.

I think this should be enough. I could go on and on and on. I could tell the same story in a thousand different ways, really, it is that random. And yet it happens every time. As I said:  I have NOT managed to reproduce any of this behavior two times EXACTLY the same way. I've tried numerous other pedal combinations also, two expression pedals, one expression and two switches, four switches, etc. It is always the same, first everything seems to work but eventually they freak out. Please don't ask me to check my pedals and cables, I'm new to H8000, but I do know my pedals and polarities and ohms. (I have some homemade optical ultra smooth expression pedals Cool )

I would like to know if there is a way to confirm if we have a hardware problem?

Italo, how can we test that?

Best,

Petja