- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes ALTERNATE TUNING SYSTEMS – PITCHFACTOR? Reply To: ALTERNATE TUNING SYSTEMS – PITCHFACTOR?

brock
Participant

Quote:
can anybody recommend some reading material (preferably a book) on the historical use and development of scales? … I'd love to read how ideas for scales and modes developed over time.

If you download the Scala archive here, unzip it, and open each .scl file in a text editor (4200 of them), there's a very brief description of the scale.  Unfortunately, the file names are cryptic, but you can decipher how a scale is constructed with a basic knowledge of cents, intervals, and octaves.

I've always referenced some very old books which may or may nor be in print anymore.

My 'bible' has been:

Twentieth Century Harmony – Creative Aspects and Practice by Vincent Persichetti

Other references:

Introduction to Contemporary Music by Joseph Machlis

Music Cultures of the Pacific, the Near East, and Asia by William P. Malm

There's more (not in front of my bookshelf at the moment).  No one book – that I've found – seems to cover it all.  I'll even go back to some sheet music compilation books like John McLaughlin & The Mahavishnu Orchestra.  If you find a complete historical reference, I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I tend to piece the concepts together from online & print sources.