- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Expression pedal control of multiple H9s Reply To: Expression pedal control of multiple H9s

brock
Participant

KCStratman:

I guess my dream of simply plugging in two midi cables, setting transmit or receive and omni or same channel and having full synch was a fantasy.

Here, it gets more complicated with USB & MIDI DIN sharing the port, and inserting H9 Control into the chain.  Maybe less so with the new 'Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Device' option.  I like having all of the individual MIDI settings for versatility.  It can get complicated when you switch 'MIDI modes' a lot.

Fortunately, the 'MIDI mode' switches almost become second nature with enough repetition.  This did prompt a thought: saving the entire System Settings for each pedal as a .syx file.  Not necessarily easier, but something for me to try here.

Quote:
For now I will Y the exp. pedal to two units, I wonder if a passive 3xTRS splitter would run three or drop the voltage and require an active splitter?

That was my thought.  I haven't tried it, so I can't confirm.  But I was thinking of cobbling together a similar box for the expression output of my EHX 8 Step Program.

Quote:
First off I wanted to synch sweepable delay time ranges for the BE and BE Slow Arpegg algo preset pairs. Also I can think of other algo pairs to sweep in synch, delays and modulations, etc.

Yes, that's the whole idea behind my somewhat convoluted MIDI setup.  This pair of harmonies goes with that set of delays at this modulation rate, etc.  Most can be done with sync'ed MIDI Clock, but the specialty routes need synchronized variable control.

Quote:
Slightly different topic, what about tap tempo synch of multiple units from the tempo switch on one master unit? Is that not a basic midi link? If so, it would still be disabled during use of H9 Control?

MIDI Clock is independent of MIDI Channel, so it does apply across the board.  MIDI Clock Out enabled in the transmitter; MIDI Clock Input enabled on the receivers.  But it does get a little funky when H9 Control is involved.  Somewhat counterintuitively, you need to switch that around.

Think of MIDI Clock settings as belonging to the MIDI DIN plug system, not H9 Control.  So, to use Tempo On and BPM adjustments in H9 Control, set the MIDI Clock – MIDI Input to No in the pedals.  While you're there, set MIDI Clock – MIDI Clock Output to Yes.  Now the current BPM in H9 Control (per pedal) will be reflected in the pedal itself. The LED displays should update the second that you hit ENTER, after double-clicking BPM & typing in a new value.

Quote:
Here I have been getting back to fx pedals to get away from rack fx with midi controller pedals, now I have fx pedals that need midi controller pedals 🙂 I do still have a pristine Digitech PMC-100 midi controller pedal ( 20 yrs old with hardwired programmer keypad).

It's almost a necessity with more complex systems like yours.  It's one thing if you just want to hit a PC switch, and have the presets locked together from multiple pedals.  Quite another thing to make adjustments across the board that synchronize with other settings.

Effectively, that's re-programming the presets on-the-fly.  With hands & brain occupied, your feet are the only things left to act as a mixdown engineer.  I try to do as much of the dirty work in advance, and consolidate it all into the least amount of tap-dancing.  Features like the HotSwitch & EXP PED routings give you 2 or more presets in one.