- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Changing Key In Real Time Using My PitchFactor Reply To: Changing Key In Real Time Using My PitchFactor

brock
Participant

jmseiver:

Brock,

Got the FC-300 to talk to the PitchFactor.  Don't understand much about what is going on.

It's a good start.  I'm not that familiar with the FC-300 "modes" (how the switches send CC messages), but I'll help there if I can.  I've browsed the manual, and there appears to be a few ways to go about this.

Quote:
Where are the CC ranges defined for the PitchFactor?  For example:

"Key of C" = 0 – 5, "Key of C#" = 6 – 18, etc.?

If you mean how did I come up with those particular values, I figured it out on my own.  It's not part of any official documentation.  If the FC-300 sends those CC values over the same CC number that the PF is expecting to receive on, the Diatonic Key will automatically "snap" to that key when the FC-300 footswitch is pressed.

Quote:
Can you use just CC 0 for "Key of C"?

Careful here.  A CC / continuous controller message has two (really, three) parts.  Literally, data bytes.  The PitchFactor will receive over CC numbers 0-99.  Pick any one for Key, and any other one for Scale.  The FC-300 will have to send over that CC number, and the PF parameter will have to receive over that same CC number.

The second part is the CC value [0-127 total range].  That will determine the Key (C, C#, D, etc.), or the Scale (MAJ, min, etc.).  That's where my linked range of values comes in.  (The remaining part is the MIDI Channel; set elsewhere on the FC-300 and PitchFactor.  These will match for overall communication.)

Any of those CC values that I have listed in narrow ranges will call up the correct Key or Scale.  If the FC-300 and PitchFactor are "talking" over CC Number 38 (the default), then CC value 0, or 1, or 2,3,4,5 will call up the Key of C.  When the value reaches 6 through 18, then the Key of C# will be called up.

Quote:
Cool stuff!  Thanks for the "steer" into MIDI.  To play the song I'm interested in, I switch keys once (E Major to A Major) and change scales once (Major to Minor) – "Child's Anthem" sings!

E MAJ

selected CC number for Key – one CC value from 41 through 51

selected CC number for Scale – one CC value from 0 through 6

A MAJ

selected CC number for Key – one CC value from 98 through 108

selected CC number for Scale – one CC value from 0 through 6

E min

selected CC number for Key – one CC value from 41 through 51

selected CC number for Scale – one CC value from 7 through 15

A min

selected CC number for Key – one CC value from 98 through 108

selected CC number for Scale – one CC value from 7 through 15

I hope I got that all correct.  If you or I spot an error, it's because I was trying to convey a lot of information in a short period of time (and attempting to be succinct).  See where this reply gets you, and follow up with any more questions.