- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes a question to eventide techs….WHEN the android app will be available? Reply To: a question to eventide techs….WHEN the android app will be available?

guitarlesson
n13L5 wrote:

That may attract people yes, but opening the source code is quite different from hiring someone from the community…

Agreed. Instead of one peson crunching his brain on it, we could have several if not hundreds of people working on the issue. Linus’ Law for software development: “Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix will be obvious to someone.”

n13L5 wrote:

Open sourcing the code may lead to all the algorithms being available for free on the Internet long before anybody bothered to make an Android app

I disagree, though it’s impossible to say without seeing the code. First off the algorithms themselfs are likely not a part of the H9 control software codebase at all. They are likely all separate codebases, and H9 Control merely acts as a distribution mechanism.

Secondly, if the code is written in a modular fashion, as I try to do in my code and I hope they do too, then there is no reason the purchasing module cannot be excluded entirely from the control module. Without any idea of how that module works, there would be no way to exploit the algorithm distribution system whatsoever.