a question to eventide techs….WHEN the android app will be available?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes a question to eventide techs….WHEN the android app will be available?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 66 reply threads
  • Author
      borisinger
      Participant

My question is on the subject….could you please be so kind to reply when u release the Android App?

thaaanx

boris

Imerkat
      Participant

also is it possible to connect to the H9 if your computer has a Bluetooth card?

gkellum
      Participant

borisinger:

could you please be so kind to reply when u release the Android App?

We don't have any announcements to make about the Android app at this time.  Our last newsletter had a lot of information about what we're planning on releasing in the coming months.

gkellum
      Participant

imerkat:

also is it possible to connect to the H9 if your computer has a Bluetooth card?

No, we looked into adding that, but desktop Bluetooth APIs were really complex and poorly documented.  At the moment you can only connect via Bluetooth from iOS devices.

joeck
      Participant

This is disappointing and not easy to understand. When I want to use a controller (e.g. Roland FC300) via MIDI it is not possible to use the PC-(or Mac)editor at the same time. As soon as the USB-slot is busy, the MIDI-slot will be ignored. But programming and merging the H9 with the MIDI-controller via Bluetooth-Editor is very comfortable – especially for more complex issues like the implementation of several switches and expression pedals (e.g. Wah & volume). Without editor this job is a pain, but as Non-IPhone/IPad-User you have no chance to work with this powerful tool. I could imagine that the needs of Android-Users are possibly underestimated. (I know a bit what I am talking about – the company I am working for found the same decision with a service-app as well a few years ago, which was not the best idea – many of our customers -probably the Android-Users- had not been amused at all…)

gkellum
      Participant

joeck:

This is disappointing and not easy to understand.

What is disappointing and not easy to understand.  The lack of an Android app or that using Bluetooth on a desktop computer isn't supported?  Both were mentioned in this thread.  We have made some progress recently with using Bluetooth on Windows…  Still need to work on Bluetooth on Mac…

bodhijames

I'm going to pickup on this thread and ask for an updated E.T.A. for the H9 Android app.

I agree, it is disappointing and not easy to understand why Eventide would put so much thought into the H9 and the H9 app. And leave so many ANdroid users "hanging". Just Google how the numbers breakdown between iOS and Android devices and you will see how many H9 customers will not get to realize the full potential of the H9.

When the H9 hit the shelves, the H9 app should have been available in both flavors. 

Is there an anit-Android bias at Eventide or is it much harder to port over to the Droid side?

Either way, please offer an Android version

All of this being said, you guys really hit it out of the park with the H9, just finish the job! : )

Thank you!!!

guitardojo
      Participant

bodhijames:

I'm going to pickup on this thread and ask for an updated E.T.A. for the H9 Android app.

I agree, it is disappointing and not easy to understand why Eventide would put so much thought into the H9 and the H9 app. And leave so many ANdroid users "hanging". Just Google how the numbers breakdown between iOS and Android devices and you will see how many H9 customers will not get to realize the full potential of the H9.

When the H9 hit the shelves, the H9 app should have been available in both flavors. 

Is there an anit-Android bias at Eventide or is it much harder to port over to the Droid side?

Either way, please offer an Android version

All of this being said, you guys really hit it out of the park with the H9, just finish the job! : )

Thank you!!!

+1 I am waiting for the Android app.

SergioxZen
      Participant

Hello, Eventide! Are there any progress/news about android app?

guitardojo
      Participant

I'm always looking in the Play Store just before I look here. It would be an awesome Christmas gift.

stef626
      Participant

seems like they don't care much to answer us ..

stef626
      Participant

up 

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

Well that's not the case. We do care. We believe Android support is important. We've had some false starts and, sorry to say, right now we're on hold.

The technical issue is a fundamental one. The iOS app is whole lot of code and uses some graphics libraries that are not quite the same on Android. We've struggled with the decision of whether to port the iOS version or to rewrite the whole thing it from scratch. As H9 Control has evolved  and continues to grow with added features, the notion having to support two different code bases has lost it's appeal and seems unwise.

We don't have an in house Android developer. In fact, when we started development of H9 Control, we didn't have any iOS experience but at this point our small team is over extended. We've been trying to recruit or find an appropriate consultant without any luck so far. The consultants that we've contacted are not willing to port our code base; they have their own methods and would start from scratch. 

In some ways, Android development is made complicated by the various implementations by Samsung, LG, Mot, etc. As a result, testing and compatibility will become a significant task for us,

Sorry for the ramble but we do want it to happen. We're trying to make it happen but right now we're on hold and have no clear idea of when it will get done.

lordradish
      Participant

Count me as another one who really, really wants and Android app.

diafebus
      Participant

I’m sorry to say that but this is bullsh*t. I’ve seen developers release much more complex pieces of software in much less time than you’re taking. To do something to the users you have to actually do it instead of saying cheap excuses of software arquitecture and bla bla. You are not enough interested on releasing the app on and that’s it, a sincere message would be better than all those excuses about not doing it. On android the market you can limit the download to certain number of processors, screen pixels and android versions to ensure the user experience is okay, so you don’t have to fight against 1 bazillion of different devices and resolutions… So whatever… I just hope some day you will take a step forward and do the damned application, I need it a couple of times and I had to forget about using the H9 because of not having android app support. 

Cya.

kdavies

It looks like editing multu effects from the unit itself is becoming a lost art.. It’s really not that hard.. No app required. 

austmann
      Participant

I would also love a android controll app on my phone
      i found a second hand ipad 1st gen
      i feel Eventide wants to do it but i asume that they are perhabs suffering from some sort of lack of resources to make it happen?

spaceJam
      Quote:
      i feel Eventide wants to do it but i asume that they are perhabs suffering from some sort of lack of resources to make it happen?

I don’t think that’s the reason.

– Good Android devs are everywhere (and really cheap) these days.

– Android SDK is open and free.

– There’s a lot of people asking for an Android port (should we open a request thread?)

– Google Play is more open and permissive than iOS App store.

– Android market is way bigger than iOS

I don’t know what else they need to make it happen.

My thinking is they just don’t care. But the lack of clarity on this matter is what makes it shameful. I remember some guy from the staff (Agnello, maybe?) saying that they haven’t found the right developer yet…

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Can we have a little less general cynicism and tedious insults on this topic ? Here are  few facts:

1) The H9 was designed for use with iOS.

2) We have never (as far as I can see) said we will support Android. We have said we would like to – this is not the same thing.

3) Like all small companies, we have limited resources. We are not Apple. We have many things we would like to do.

4) We would be happy to find an Android developer to do this work. No luck so far. Volunteers please. Experience with Juce would also be necessary.

The more observant probably have got the picture by now.  Large software projects are not simple and we can't do everything.

So, while we hope to have an Android App at some point int the future, we cannot say if or when, largely for the above reasons.

Imerkat
      Participant

Last week i finally was elegible for a phone upgrade and I ditch my Android for an iphone. This is not just becuase of Eventide but this is true across the board for music related Apps. It’s easier to develop apps for Apple than Andriod. Andriod has it’s advantages but not for musicians.

Well I’m not really an Apple guy, and I just got a new Galaxy S5, so I’m not gonna get rid of that just for this pedal, that being said, it WOULD be nice to have a mobile controling app for this pedal, but I just hook it up on my laptop via USB, and for me it works too, now I can’t make any quick changes when I have a gig or so, but aah well 

coirbidh_99
      Participant

– Android market is way bigger than iOS

That may be true, but if the proportion of iOS users in the H9 target market is significantly higher than the proportion of Android users, then it makes less economic sense for Eventide to invest a lot of resources into building an Android app. (Based on the demographics of iOS and Android users, I would venture that this is true: the H9 is a pretty expensive, limited-appeal luxury item, and it’s been well documented that a huge proportion of the growth in Android has been in the lower-income segment of the market.)

ogeva
      Participant

This is not about making a music app. It’s also not about making a big android software project. In terms of project size this is not a huge project.

It is only an app taht communicates via bluetooth with a device, sending it messages on your own api. It may have some moderate UI work, but business logic should be plain and simple.

(not to mentiont that apps of this particular type can be developed with a suitable framework so it only needs to be developed once for all mobile platforms).

What is frustrating is that this thread has been going on for almost a year now, and Eventide hasn’t been able to come up with an android app.

I am willing to write it, but not as a volunteer. I have paid good money for the H9 itself.

I have recently moved away from iOS, and contorlling my H9 has become a mess.

Android market IS larger than iOS. A for target markets – while it may be true that musicians tend to be Apple people, devices such as Samsing S6, LG G4, etc. are high end luxury products. And this thread and others going on for so long is proof of thsi market’s existance.

Now let me say this. The H9 is my first and only Eventide product. I own several guitars, amps and effects. I have TC Electronic stuff, Line6, Avid and Kemper digital equipment.

This lack of support for a major platform, puts in risk any future Eventide purchases I might have made. I am very happy with the sound quality of the effect.

It is unfeasible to control it manually, and now that I don’t carry an iphone anymore with me it makes controlling it a total mess for me.

I understand eventide decided to invest their resources in other directions. But truly, as a software developers I understand the level of effort needed for this, and if you are not willign to invest that in me, I don’t think I can have more Eventide products in the future.

As simple as that.

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        ogeva wrote:

What is frustrating is that this thread has been going on for almost a year now, and Eventide hasn't been able to come up with an android app.

I am willing to write it, but not as a volunteer. I have paid good money for the H9 itself

Duly noted.  FWIW "Volunteer", didn't mean not get paid, we meant "volunteer to do the work and be compensated."  If you are in fact serious and have time to devote to a large scale software project by all means apply here:  https://www.eventideaudio.com/about/jobs

You will need to be a C++ wizard and be familiar with the JUCE framework.  

skywriter
      Participant

FWIW there seems to be garbage at the end of link you posted “https://www.eventideaudio.com/about/jobs%C2%A0” and does’t work.

hopefully this link works https://www.eventideaudio.com/about/jobs

if not, then.. oh well..

ogeva
      Participant

Let me do som e research. It’s been a while since I used C++, I want to see if Android + C++ is something I want to get into 🙂

But I am really curios – why not use some JS framework such as Cordoba or Phonegap and be done with both?

What’s in the app except UI, comminuication to the plugin buying server, and BT api to communicate with the effect? What is low level there?

griffinsauce

1) The H9 was designed for use with iOS.

And there you have it then. This is a fundamental mistake. I can understand why this might happen, but it is never too late to reconsider a stance.

Here are some points I’d like to pose to you:

1. You used iOS-only tech, no one will want to port that (as you’ve learned). It also limits your future development to “iOS developers” instead of “developers”. You can probably understand how the latter is a more sustainable option. Cross-platform tech is always built to last longer specifically because it is already abstracting the platform from the source.

2. However much it hurts, considering point 1 and the fact that you clearly have a market that is chomping at the bit it would seem wise to start over and do it cross-platform. This also allows you to develop those skills for the future, since your future products will most likely build upon the current. Look at it as opening a market and doing an investment, you can even calculate what the projected winnings are relatively easily for the market. Considering that your devs will probably need to learn the skills for the next iteration anyway, why not do it now with an established design when there is no pressure, and then allow yourself to develop a potentially much better product in the next round?

This is not “a bunch of people whining” and not a potential loss … it’s an opportunity. An opportunity to gain new customers now almost for free and build better stuff in the future. This stuff is not hard if you’re serious about it. (this is why people with developing experience get mad at your current stance, it is simply illogical to them)

skywriter
      Participant

Not all developers would agree with you. Even if you had a post count greater than 1.

griffinsauce
        SkyWriter wrote:
        Not all developers would agree with you. Even if you had a post count greater than 1.

Haha, because post count is of course directly related to developing or business prowess.

Of course not everyone would agree with me. A lot of people disagree about a lot of things. That said, most people would agree though that ignoring, from the outset, more than half of a particular market (might be less when cross-sectioned with the guitar playing and effects buying market … might) is not a particularly good idea.

What I’m very interested in is whether this was a concious business decision (ie. with research data to back it up) or a personal decision by one or more people.

There, post count 2, do you respect me more now?

spaceJam
        griffinsauce wrote:

SkyWriter wrote:

Haha, because post count is of course directly related to developing or business prowess.

Of course not everyone would agree with me. A lot of people disagree about a lot of things. That said, most people would agree though that ignoring, from the outset, more than half of a particular market (might be less when cross-sectioned with the guitar playing and effects buying market … might) is not a particularly good idea.

What I’m very interested in is whether this was a concious business decision (ie. with research data to back it up) or a personal decision by one or more people.

There, post count 2, do you respect me more now?

I do. And I agree with your 2 posts.

skywriter
        Participant
        griffinsauce wrote:
        SkyWriter wrote:

It has a lot to do with whether you’ve been reading along with the rest of the folks, and interacting with the userbase, and with they might believe was right or wrong about choosing iOS over Android. Rather than sounding like a discontent with an axe to grind because they haven’t come out with an Android version yet – that’s the impression I get. They have iOS, OSX and even Widindows now. That’s three platforms so far, they have a job req open to do an Android port – or so I’m lef to believe – You choose to disregard the main point; they designed the H9 to work with iOS. Instead calling it a ‘mistake’. However, a prospective user chooses to believe how thhe product should have been designed you realy only have three choices:
        1) buy it and deal with it – iPad2 can be easily had for $150.
        2) go buy something else.
        3) join the community in a positive way, perhaps evenn taking the proffered job, and do the work to make your drem come true.

Standing by the sidelines criticizing choises other people have made will just get you ignored – my posts not with standing.
        Looking at the current state of the mobile music market; selecting iOS as the first mobile platform to bring the product out on is obvious.

In my previous work experience this kind of question is never revealed to the public:

Quote:

At this point the answer serves no posiitive puurpose.

griffinsauce
        SkyWriter wrote:
        that’s the impression I get.

Your impression is wrong. I would love to buy this product, it is just simply not usable to it’s full potential to me due to a design decision that is simply illogical. I believe I am qualified to name it illogical due to my own experience developing apps in a sustainable way for several bussinesses.

SkyWriter wrote:
        You choose to disregard the main point; they designed the H9 to work with iOS..

I don’t see how specifically addressing a main point is “disregarding” it.

SkyWriter wrote:
        you realy only have three choices:

I very, very strongly disagree. Constructive critisism is a fourth and very valid choice. I’m offering insights into why developing an Android version could be a good business decision and why choosing to go iOS-only (by default apparently) is not. Sure I may be a bit blunt about it, but that is because I think Eventide’s decision is blunt, unless they convince me otherwise. I have by the way read many posts about this, the viewpoint has not changed.

By the way, buying an iPad to control a pedal or taking a random job are not valid choices, come on, be real.

SkyWriter wrote:
        Looking at the current state of the mobile music market; selecting iOS as the first mobile platform to bring the product out on is obvious.

This is utterly ridiculous. You have no idea about this market, which is evidenced by the fact that you call it “mobile music market”  … this is not about mobile music. It is about allowing musicians to use the computing power they already have in their pocket to enhance your product. And guess what … a *lot* of people have Android in their pocket, believe it or not, like it or not, that is simply the truth. Whether they have statistics about the iOS/Android balance within their target market, you’re right, we will probably never know.

Also: only. Not first, but apparently, only. Otherwise it would be designed to be ported well, or built in a cross-platform way that requires only testing phases when one platform is released.

skywriter
      Participant

Speaking as one of the people that are trying to understand your points, I suggest you should bypass this forum and my input, and address your concerns directly through mail, or a preferably a phone call to talk to the people who can help you. My attempts to understand your points are clearly not up to your expectatations, or serving to merely antagonize you; which is not my intent. I’ve spent my 35+ years of professional career (before I retired) in hardware/software design, and view music as a hobby. I’m as convinced I know what I’m talking about as much as you’re convinced you know what you talking about. I suggest you take touy concerns to the descision makes directly rather than hash it out with fellow users. I don’t want this minor conflict to end as dislike for one another, I don’t believe message boards are the best way to comunicate, and I hope our apparent disagreement will turn in to a long term dislike of one another; and to the end I apologize if I appeared antagonistic, or used language to bait you, I hope you do get what you want I just don’t think is going to happen the way you and I have acted. My please accept apologies.

griffinsauce
        SkyWriter wrote:
        Speaking as one of the people that are trying to understand your points, I suggest you should bypass this forum and my input, and address your concerns directly through mail, or a preferably a phone call to talk to the people who can help you. My attempts to understand your points are clearly not up to your expectatations, or serving to merely antagonize you; which is not my intent. I’ve spent my 35+ years of professional career (before I retired) in hardware/software design, and view music as a hobby. I’m as convinced I know what I’m talking about as much as you’re convinced you know what you talking about. I suggest you take touy concerns to the descision makes directly rather than hash it out with fellow users. I don’t want this minor conflict to end as dislike for one another, I don’t believe message boards are the best way to comunicate, and I hope our apparent disagreement will turn in to a long term dislike of one another; and to the end I apologize if I appeared antagonistic, or used language to bait you, I hope you do get what you want I just don’t think is going to happen the way you and I have acted. My please accept apologies.

No apologies necessary. We can agree to disagree, that’s fine. 🙂 Sorry if I’ve been harsh, it’s a particular pain point that keeps being hit by this industry so it breeds a blunt vocabulary after a while.

It’s obvious that audio processing or hardware integrations with Android will be hard to do for a long time. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Digitech choosing to work with the iPad for their IPB pedalboard for instance. It’s just dissapointing that this entire industry then subsequently ignores that enormous chunk of the market where they *can* connect with customers and provide a better experience. It’s an enormous waste. Beyond my personal impedance to use the product (sucks, but I’ll live) it’s the wasted opportunity to innovate that gets to me.

It’s also a vicious circle. By never making musicians apps for this market, it creates an enormous bias towards this other system (like you said: “go buy an iPad”), this isn’t healthy either. 

I have taken it up with Eventide directly. They respond as earlier in this thread … “it’s only made for iOS, that was our target, you’re welcome to come work for us and fix it”…

AAgnello
        Eventide Staff
        GriffinSauce wrote:

I have taken it up with Eventide directly. They respond as earlier in this thread … "it's only made for iOS, that was our target, you're welcome to come work for us and fix it"…

I cannot find where any of us said that "it's only made for iOS, …" and that statement is simply not true. I was involved in development from day one (as was Nick) and we'd love to have an Android version. Nick Rose did write "The H9 was designed for use with iOS." and that is a true statement. We had to design in a chip licensed by Apple to enable Bluetooth communication with iOS devices but it in no way precludes use with Android. It does not need to be 'fixed'. It needs to be ported and we'd be happy to pay someone who is competent to do the porting.

griffinsauce
        AAgnello wrote:

.. we’d love to have an Android version.

It boggles the mind that two years after release, there is still no meaningful progress in this then. I’m not being cynical, just genuinely confused that this is possible if you want it as much as you say. Of course it’s hard but everybody and their uncle is building apps these days. What is it about this job opening that makes it seemingly impossible to fill? Is the app built with a framework that not many devs master? Is the communication with the pedal very specific? By being more transparent about this you will take away a lot of frustration *and* allow people to help you.

– Have you thought of giving the job to an agency that can take this off your hands completely? (expensive, but more guarantee of success and timeframe)

– Are you fishing in the right pond? Try diving into the dev community and posting on places like http://careers.stackoverflow.com/

– Is it possible to adjust the parameters of the job, is C++ with Juce an absolute requirement or could it be done otherwise or for instance by someone who can learn how to work with Juce on the go?

(no need to answer these here, just suggestions that you may or may not have thought of already)

ps. by fix I simply meant “do it”

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        GriffinSauce wrote:

– Is it possible to adjust the parameters of the job, is C++ with Juce an absolute requirement or could it be done otherwise or for instance by someone who can learn how to work with Juce on the go?

Good point.  C++ is an absolute.  Anyone who's great at C++ will find the Juce framework pretty easy to pick up.  So, I revise my statemet for clarity, C++ experience is a must, Juce familiarity would be nice, but not required.  

skywriter
      Participant

“apparent disagreement won’t turn” – obviously. sorry for the other typos

jupiter8boy

At the company I used to work for our softw devs all did iOS AND Android. Simply because all customers ask for both.

So you should consider that your iOS devs learn to develop for Android!

skywriter
      Participant

@AAgnelIo I would love to have all 5 H9’s controlled from the same app. Apple only allowed 3 at the most from the same tablet – a BT limitation I’m told – has anyone done any work in depth with Android that would indicate all 5 could operate from the same tablet?

@GriffenSauce, I’m glad we could come to a point of mutual respect. Technologists seem to be the most apt to work togehter amicabily once ego’s are out of the way. That’s the major reason I choose the career I did – everyone was smart.

I would like to put another comment in favor of creating an android app for the H9. 

Wayne

voodoojeff

No rant, just observation:

As a musician as well as a music teacher, I get to see a variety of people`s mobile devices and how they use it for music purposes. An overwhelming majority of my acquaintances use Android devices. It IS the dominant platform. With that said, I am also aware that manufacturers and specific devices having their own individual quirks makes offering a globally valid app a bigger challenge than it seems.

The amplifier I use has an iOS app (H&K GrandMeister. It`s fully midi programmable) that H&K supports. A single individual from the middle of bumfart egypt made a PC and Andriod version of the iOS app all on his own and it works like a charm. It can be done, and I`m led to believe it`s simply a matter of proactive initiative. 

Eventide obviously puts a lot of work into their products. They`ve been legendary in the market for decades. I am an andriod user, and I would LOVE to see that app happen. I don`t enjoy having to maintain a second laptop just to connect to my H9 via bluetooth (my new Toshiba won`t connect. It did very briefly and stopped with the newest Control app version). I don`t believe it has ANYTHING to to with them simply not wanting to address the android platform. That would be utterly foolish. I think maybe a decision was made early on that may have ended up shooting them in the foot, and now they have to answer to an overlooked demand without throwing away the work that got the device running in the first place. Should it be taking so long? Probably not, but the obstacles are theirs, not ours. How completely self righteous is it for us to be angry with a company who made a fantastic product that works perfectly out of the box, and in fact CAN be adjusted and programmed without any external devices (despite it being an arduous task), but doesn`t offer an interface to make it easier in a way that suits us to our liking?

It`s as valid as me getting pissy because Logic Pro X doesn`t run on Windows. Suck it up, buttercup. It`s the way it is. So I use Studio One 3 instead.

(so….how much longer for an android app? 😀 )

Leon Todd
      Participant

I recently picked up am H9; I’m currently an android user but pulled out my old iPhone just to use the H9 app (which I love). Not having to carry an extra device to gigs would be a lot easier!

diafebus
      Participant

That makes no ducking sense, like developing an app for Android was like the most difficult thing on earth… for duck sake, just check the market share of android, its a shame I can’t use this device live because of that issue, I need to adjust my presets constantly and I can’t have rapid access enough because I don’t own an Apple product to control it? why? I don’t want to spend a single euro on a mobile device from apple, just develope it already… You’re not a small company to be that lazy about porting the H9 app to android…

I’ll end up selling my H9 unit if this keeps going this way. I bet other users have encountered the same problem.

n13L5
      Participant

I guess no suitable volunteer or otherwise has been found since the last posts here…

I read through this thread and found it interesting.  I was not aware that Eventide is not a large company with all the high end history.  I think its all good, I prefer small companies over corporations and conglomerates.  Of course, that means you have to pick your battles and put the resources where they have the greatest return.

Thats not to say an Android app wouldn’t have a great return.

I would like to understand something about the development tough: One could really just duplicate the outputs and inputs from the iOS app like a hacker would but with the benefit of being handed the codes of the H9 protocol in all detail, after all, there must be a design document that lists that for every function (are you sending MIDI over BT?).

I don’t really see why this can’t be outsourced to a smart Android guy who doesn’t need to have a clue of C++ or Juce.  He’s just blindly duplicating UI and protocol from the iOS app, taking care of his internal processes with Java.

It sounds a little like the Android app is being held up because you want the guy doing it, to also be able to do further general purpose development to extend functionality. A noble goal for sure, but how about this, to get things done:

Outsource duplicating the iOS app in Android to a guy with high rating at Guru.com or the like. Make sure he fully documents his code and, well maybe find one who will use a cross platform framework.  However, Apple has previously taken steps against cross platform frameworks (claiming performance would suffer), so this wouldn’t be an option without talking to Apple first.

So, my course of action would be this:

1) ask Apple about using a cross platform framework (since you have limited resources and the application is just a librarian and settings editor.

Maybe your Apple contact has some useful suggestions.

2) If you can’t find someone to oursource this to (and maybe don’t like to get someone from India over a web site because of security reasons (store / licensing), you could either not allow purchasing from the Android app, or you could check locally for some people with obvious Android track records as follows:

– Check the Android app store for people who made sophisticated and polished apps that didn’t quite turn into blockbusters.

– Check the XDA developer’s forum for all those people managing to write custom ROMs without a shred of information from the manufacturers. A lot of them are gifted and not exactly making a lot of money.  Some of these people have been hired by phone manufacturers.

– If you can’t find a C++ and Java programmer with Android experience, and you can’t use a framework for any reason, you could continue doing all new additions for iOS first with your existing team that must already have C++ and iOS developers – and then just outsource the updating of the Android app to the same Android guy.

I doubt anyone here would be mad if we couldn’t buy algorithms through Android and would still have to use the computer for that, where you’ve already taken care of any needed security.

Just my 7 or 8 cents on the subject.  I’d be perfectly happy to ask around for someone qualified, but I’d like to understand why you’re so far thinking the Android guy would need to also be the C++/JUCE guy – maybe you envision him doing something else besides the Android app.

Eh, that got kind of long, but only slightly redundant  😉

voodoojeff

….I very well may know a guy. Like for real, legit android developer. I`ve opened a dialog to see what he`ll need to make it worth his time to make it happen. No promises but he is a bit of a wizard whenit comes to that. 

Any plans to allow the H9 Control to connect via bluetooth with Windows?

I use Android and Windows – not Apple products.

Thanks

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        wayneledbetter wrote:

It already can. There are some issues with specific Bluetooth dongles.

See "CONNECTING ON WINDOWS" in the latest H9Control Manua for more information, and also other Forum posts for dongle recommendations.

nickrose wrote:

wayneledbetter wrote:

It already can. There are some issues with specific Bluetooth dongles.

See “CONNECTING ON WINDOWS” in the latest H9Control Manua for more information, and also other Forum posts for dongle recommendations.

Thanks Nick –

For some reason, I thought that wasn’t supported.  I will try to do that now.  Thanks,

guitarlesson
      Hi Eventide. 

I know this is kind of an older thread, and it’s 2016 so I hope I’m not flogging a dead horse, but I wanted to share some of my ideas. I really feel bad about all the negativity and bickering you’ve recieved on the issue of H9 Control for Android. I hope to offer some suggestions in a more productive and proactive mannor.

I am also an Android user and would love to have H9 control for both my Nexus 6 phone and Nexus 7 tablet. My choice to use Android is mostly out of principle: I prefer the openness of the platform to Apples “gatekeeper to the walled garden” philosophy. Specifically, I can install 3rd party software from wherever I choose without jailbreaking the device.

As a software developer myself, I understand your pain in porting this software to another platform. You recently went as far as to extend an invite to the community to apply for a job in porting it. That’s a positive attitude and a step in the right direction if you ask me. 

Continuing in that spirit, I wonder if you’ve considered REALLY opening the problem to the community. By that, I mean, since the H9 Control software is not a commercial product in and of itself, why not open up the codebase to the open source community? I could imagine many more developers could be attracted if the C++ code were placed onto Github.

Now, just as I ask this, I imagine a number of issues to my proposal. The most obvious of these is the algorithm purchase procedure, and the reliance on the iOS app store for in-app purchases. However, I don’t see this problem as an insurmountable one. If the store functionality could somehow be modularized and excluded from the open source portion, I’m sure Android users would be contend with a version of the app where they are only able to control their H9, knowing that they will have to purchase new algorithms via a Mac or PC.

Unfortunately, C++ is not in my arsenal of skills, so I cannot take up the challenge. The closest I could come to helping on Android is Java. But I hope you consider opening the source as a serious option, and I look forward to further updates on the (hopefully continued) progress of H9 Control for Android.

Thanks

n13L5
        Participant
        guitarlesson wrote:

I could imagine many more developers could be attracted if the C++ code were placed onto Github.

I hope you consider opening the source as a serious option, and I look forward to further updates on the (hopefully continued) progress of H9 Control for Android.

That may attract people yes, but opening the source code is quite different from hiring someone from the community, who would be required to sign certain agreements.

From Eventide’s perspective, there could be the following issues with your idea:

– we don’t know what their future plans are for this application, they may want to eventually turn it into a stand alone product.

– Since Eventide earns money from the algorithms and these being purchasable through their IOS software iirc, they have a need to protect the security mechanisms programmed into the system.  Open sourcing the code may lead to all the algorithms being available for free on the Internet long before anybody bothered to make an Android app.

I had suggested to make the Android app without the ability to purchase algorithms, to reduce the risk for Eventide in creating an Android app.  I’m no specialist in such security systems, but this would seem like a concern Eventide cannot ignore.

guitarlesson
        n13L5 wrote:

That may attract people yes, but opening the source code is quite different from hiring someone from the community…

Agreed. Instead of one peson crunching his brain on it, we could have several if not hundreds of people working on the issue. Linus’ Law for software development: “Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix will be obvious to someone.”

n13L5 wrote:

Open sourcing the code may lead to all the algorithms being available for free on the Internet long before anybody bothered to make an Android app

I disagree, though it’s impossible to say without seeing the code. First off the algorithms themselfs are likely not a part of the H9 control software codebase at all. They are likely all separate codebases, and H9 Control merely acts as a distribution mechanism.

Secondly, if the code is written in a modular fashion, as I try to do in my code and I hope they do too, then there is no reason the purchasing module cannot be excluded entirely from the control module. Without any idea of how that module works, there would be no way to exploit the algorithm distribution system whatsoever.

skywriter
      Participant

If Android users would be content to merely control the H9, then a modest, product neutral, proposal would be assigning MIDI CC’s to control all the knobs and buttons the H9Control app has access to on the H9. Then any platform, control surface or pracically anything that produces a programmable MIDI CC’s, could interface to it. Assuming such knobs and button structure exist in the H9 firmware and are not actually part of the H9control program. Just an idea.

n13L5
        Participant
        SkyWriter wrote:
        If Android users would be content to merely control the H9

I for one would be perfectly happy with that.

I have no issue hooking it to my computer when I want to buy additional algorithms.

If I could just control the knobs of the unit from an android tablet or phone, things would be 1000% more useful, as the H9 alone does not expose all possible controls and those it does expose are simply nowhere as convenient to adjust as I would like it.

Since my computer is not portable, but when I do use it, it runs the DAW, its less than ideal to have only the computer to adjust parameters.

Hopefully, someone at Eventide reads your post and might know about the feasability of a function-reduced Android app.

skywriter
      Participant

After some reading, I found that you can program all the front panel controls to respond to MIDI CC messages:

[RCV.CTL] – Receive Continuous Control Message [RCV.CTL] allows external MIDI Continuous Control messages to be used as assignable controls for the HOTKNOB (any combination of parameters) and system control. The idea is to first select the H9 parameter or function that you want to externally control (Mix for example) and then select either MIDI Bend or the MIDI CC with which you want to control it.

With a program like “TB MIDI Stuff” on your tablet, or whatever is available for Android, you can make your own interface to the front panel and operate it remotely from the H9 with a tablet, control surface, or anything that sends MIDI CC. I think that pretty much covers being able to control an H9 from a tablet for performance – all the rest of the stuff you have to do from a MAc or WinPC that is supported by H9Control. You just need to read that section of the manual, and get a program like TB Midi Stuff for Android, and you’re all set.

skywriter
      Participant

@n13l5, I’m not adept at finding android apps, so I can’t give you any direct recommendations. But iOS has an app called “TB MIDI Stuff”, that allows you to create control surfaces and assign CC values to them such that, you could control the front panel knobs on the H9 [KB0-KB9] via midi. The apps has a set of control types; toggle, slider, knobs, etc… That you can create in any position on the control surface to directly mimic the H9Control apps placement. However, I can’t find anything like that for Android.

Perhaps that answer to @Guitarlessons suggestion is to have people work on an app that does that plus create a framework for selecting algorithms, and managing control name labels, etc… to complete an full featured emulation/analog of H9Control, rather than wait an unknown period of time for Eventide to assign resources to porting H9Control to Android. All the pieces are there to create a useful tablet app that provides value for Android if folks want to commit time to it. All you need are the people, and someone to architect the app, and manage the project. The app I’m proposing doesn’t look like it’s a very complicated project, and it would provide a significant component of functionality minus the Store, Pedal and Setting’s segment of H9Control. For performance it would fit the bill once the H9 was setup with a Mac or PC to fit the model.

n13L5
      Participant

@ Skywriter

Interesting, I hadn’t had time to really check since this old discussion perked up its head  🙂

If I fail to find anything, which would seem surprising, since people do use Android tablets as weird instrument controllers and such, I’m about to leave for India, and I might just commission one of the many coders there, to help me write a universal, customizable midi control interface.

Sending Midi control sequences isn’t hard and making a row of labled knobs isn’t either.

To allow people to create their own panels would be the lion’s share of the work, unless there are existing libraries you can use. Maybe easy enough to let people sync their layouts to DropBox or something, but I’d shy away from allowing people to create patches and banks – too much work, unless its somehow successful.

Could probably get owners of various gear to create presets for everything under the sun for a free licence for the paid version.

Satoristate

Proud owner of an H9 MAX here. I simply love it. What an inspiring tool it is. It really is allowing me to explore different musical territories. I really hope Eventide still tries to implement an Android version of the control app.   I chose not to use Apple products for ethical reasons. I have a windows tablet and the Control app “works”. It’s kind of laggy though. 

skywriter
      Participant

Ok Greg!

ogeva
      Participant

I see that in a long time no progress was made in this area. I personally fail to understand why you did not just start from scratch with one of the technologies that allow both iOS and Android apps to be based on the same code base, such as Cordoba or phonegap. Obviously there is also low level bluetooth comminication layers, but these are probably a one time generic code, but then the front end and middleware layers can be shared.

I think there is enough business justification for that. The fact you have consulted several consultants and all wanted to go a different way than port the existing code, probably means you have gone the wrong way since the get go. And considering that your in house knowledge of much lower layers software such as algorithms and drivers just put you in the wrong direction.

The fact that you have invested work in this before shouldn’t feter you from scrapping it all and doing in right. That’s just my opinion as a software executive with experience at both start ups and major enterprises.

That is not what I wanted to write though. What I want to let you know is that despite the H9 being a supoerior effects unit, after a year I am selling it and moving on.

And the reason is exactly this – lack of an Android app and no intention of resolving this issue – which is apparently of interest to many users.

The unit itself is hard to operate manually. With the software it’s nice. WHile at home I have a pc near it and an ipad, when taking my equipment to rehersal or a gig, just modifying a parameter not programmed in a button in one of my presets is hell. Not to mention that just ad hock usage is hellish as well. If I just feel I want a tape delay with one repeat and short delay time, it’s button dance. While having an app on my android phone in my pocket would have made it the perfect swiss knife.

So bye bye H9, it was fun while it lasted (well, it hasn’t really, for the above reasons – but it sounded good).

I hope one day you come to your senses. This whole thread seesm just like a poor business call and then a failure to fix it.

ogeva
      Participant

I really hope someone serious in evetide reads this.

I didn’t sell the device after all. I like its sounds too much. I still think it’s a real failure to respond to this extremely logical demand from your audience, and I really failt o see how the company can be this leading edge in audio processing yet so backwards in basic day to day apps and understanding of the audience. Anyway, I am done bashing. I am willing to develop a control app for Android as freelance. Mind you, I have a day job running a software development group, so I will do this on my off work time with no deadlines. I also only care for the control part, not the store front. I cannot believe this is as huge task as you have described, I will just need the bluetooth api documentation. If Evetide are willing to pick up the ball, I’ll be happy if someone emails me about this and settingup the terms.

guitarlesson
        ogeva wrote:

I am willing to develop a control app for Android as freelance.

Way to step up to the plate! I too hope Eventide responds.

gkellum
        Participant
        guitarlesson wrote:

I am willing to develoup a control app for Android as freelance.

The developer who works on H9 Control is out until next week. Thank you for the offer. We’ll get back to you later.

n13L5
        Participant
        ogeva wrote:

I really hope someone serious in evetide reads this.

I didn’t sell the device after all. I like its sounds too much. I still think it’s a real failure to respond to this extremely logical demand from your audience, and I really failt o see how the company can be this leading edge in audio processing yet so backwards in basic day to day apps and understanding of the audience. Anyway, I am done bashing. I am willing to develop a control app for Android as freelance. Mind you, I have a day job running a software development group, so I will do this on my off work time with no deadlines. I also only care for the control part, not the store front. I cannot believe this is as huge task as you have described, I will just need the bluetooth api documentation. If Evetide are willing to pick up the ball, I’ll be happy if someone emails me about this and settingup the terms.

Awesome to hear that!  Good luck and I hope all the agreements work out and the coding will turn out easier and more fun than you thought.  🙂

There seem to be either too few musicians or too few musicians who can afford an H9, cause people have made the most outlandish apps for Android. It is simply inconceivable that nobody has taken care of Eventide yet ^^

Lati
        Participant
        ogeva wrote:

. I am willing to develop a control app for Android as freelance.

Much appreciated. If you do it I’m willing to buy you a beer and I’m sure many others will, too. So please share your paypal address or something. I don’t want to buy new ios tablet just to control h9, I already have android tablet I use very rarely…

skywriter
      Participant

You don’t need a new one, last time I checked even an 1st generation iPad was still supported, and worked just fine.

77pro
      Participant
      Well, yamaha just released monitor mix for android….so my ipad doesnt have to do double duty between h9 control and my in-ear   monitor mix….it wasnt really that bad…set the monitor mix and then just bring up the h9 app….

joeck
      Participant

@ ogeva

Any news? I really appreciate your attempt to develop a solution for ANDROID users.

Due to the fact that my G-System is paying one`s debt to nature and I do not count on the service of TC I´d like to use my H9 in the rehearsel room. I left it at home the last two years because it was too inflexible in my MIDI-setting without IPhone or laptop/BT – just only changing the preset list seemed to be unsolvable for me on site. I did not sell it either because I paid too much for the additional plugins bought in the honeymoon enthusiasm and those would have been lost totally. Well, yes -and I was hoping that there will be an ANDROID solution some day. I believed in it  because in my eyes this is a relevant matter of customer´s service. Now I have to realize that Eventide still seems not to be in the situation to offer a suitable solution and I hope for external problem solver. And no – buying an (old) IPhone / Ipad is no solution at all…

gkellum
        Participant
        joeck wrote:

@ ogeva

Any news? I really appreciate your attempt to develop a solution for ANDROID users.

We're in the process of evaluating doing this internally.  The software framework H9 Control is built on supports Android.  In the past it wasn't supported well, but there have been considerable improvements made to the framework's Android support in the last few years.  So, we're taking another look at it and seeing if we could support Android using the existing code base.  

guitarlesson
        gkellum wrote:

The software framework H9 Control is built on supports Android.

I’m curious what the framework is, not because I want to add anymore to this ongoing debate/discussion, but rather because as a developer I’m curious which technologes people are using as I decide which tech to train on myself. Can you tell us (or PM me) the framework? Thanks.

gkellum
        Participant
        guitarlesson wrote:

I'm curious what the framework is, not because I want to add anymore to this ongoing debate/discussion, but rather because as a developer I'm curious which technologes people are using as I decide which tech to train on myself. Can you tell us (or PM me) the framework? 

We've been using the C++ framework, Juce (www.juce.com), for a lot of different products for the last five years or so.  

joeck
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:
        joeck wrote:

@ ogeva

We're in the process of evaluating doing this internally.  The software framework H9 Control is built on supports Android.  In the past it wasn't supported well, but there have been considerable improvements made to the framework's Android support in the last few years.  So, we're taking another look at it and seeing if we could support Android using the existing code base.  

Any news here or is this beating a dead horse? Considering my needs in the rehearsel room and gigs I need some flexibility in my settings in the MIDI chain – no need to explain that this is simply not given with the H9 without BT/laptop or Apple devices. For this reason I did not max out mine actually and my band mate decided to go for Strymon now. I’d like to keep mine – but maybe I have to accept that my decision not to use Apple means to take a final pass on it as well.

joeck
        Participant
        joeck wrote:
        gkellum wrote:
        joeck wrote:

@ ogeva

Any news here or is this beating a dead horse?

No answer is an answer nevertheless, but not the most polite one…

ambler476
        Participant

Four years since the product release.

Two years since the frantic search for an Android developer commenced

Eight months since somebody on this forum offered his services.

Four moinths since this…

Quote:

We’re in the process of evaluating doing this internally.  The software framework H9 Control is built on supports Android.  In the past it wasn’t supported well, but there have been considerable improvements made to the framework’s Android support in the last few years.  So, we’re taking another look at it and seeing if we could support Android using the existing code base.  

So… anything?

joeck
      Participant

These are good news – thanks for the prompt reaction smiley

ogeva
      Participant

That’s awesome news, regardless of my personal interest in such a software project.

If it doesn’t come to pass, my offer still stands.

Oren

guitarlesson

Thanks!

homeless
      Participant

I’m also interested in building an app for my android device.  I wouldn’t release it on any level, unless a friend likes it enough to want a copy.  I’m just looking for something for my personal device that I can use at rehearsals and events that doesn’t require me lugging around my laptop.  

Anyway, has anyone had any luck getting the API commands from Eventide?

n13L5
      Participant

I don’t know how missing Android support has affected other Eventide customers, but for me, even though Eventide has treated me well in every possible way, it has lead me to not buy further H9 units as I was originally planning.

I was planning to set up 4 units as an effects chain, but with the distinct lack of control without a tablet, I ended up buying other units, even though I prefer Eventide’s sound.

Even at home, its annoying to have to run the control app on the same computer with your DAW, tabbing back and forth.

I could buy an Apple tablet, but I just do not want another tablet to charge and update and mess around with. Its enough. And I got rid of Apple gear years ago, because of their various annoying habits of treating customers like sheeple with an IQ of 60.

scruffypup

I really hate not being able to pull out my phone and fix my presets on the fly. It would make things much easier if they made the android app….

joeck
      Participant

It may come up the impression that Eventide is not even interested in beeing aware of the needs of Android users. I think most of us have accepted that there is no high priority to offer a comprehensive solution for “the Others” – but not even reacting on questions could be seen as a real offense. Maybe the responsible persons do not realize that the ongoing hope for a suitable solution for Android could be seen as a kind of positive feedback and the prove that the H9 is accepted a a real good tool in general. But taking a look for Eventide’s (lack of) interaction with the Android users the impression comes up that these postulated consumer needs are more seen as an annoyance than as an important interest in this product. Pretty sad in general and pretty bad for existing owners who are still waiting for a solution.

jgoldbach
        Participant

We have responded many, many times to requests for an Android version and we do care. If you read this thread you'll find that both employees and management of Eventide have responded.

It hasn't been done because we haven't had the resources.

It's really, honestly and truly that simple.  

I've tried to hold my tongue — I can understand your frustration as an Android owner myself —  but this righteous indignation is totally misplaced. We have nothing against Android. We'd love to release a version tomorrow. I've never worked at a company that cared more about its customers or done more for them. 

Sorry for the rant.

diafebus
        Participant
        jgoldbach wrote:

We have responded many, many times to requests for an Android version and we do care. If you read this thread you’ll find that both employees and management of Eventide have responded.

It hasn’t been done because we haven’t had the resources.

It’s really, honestly and truly that simple.  

I’ve tried to hold my tongue — I can understand your frustration as an Android owner myself —  but this righteous indignation is totally misplaced. We have nothing against Android. We’d love to release a version tomorrow. I’ve never worked at a company that cared more about its customers or done more for them. 

Sorry for the rant.

Doing and app for Android is not rocket science, I’ve had this device for like 2-3 years already and it doesn’t look like an app is coming soon, caring about customers is not saying they care, is taking action, do a beta app or whatever, Eventide is not like a 2 guys company that won’t have resources to try to build this app. If I can not settup the device on the go it is of no use to me because I can’t adapt, I can not always wait for my computer to set this up, and its also not realistic, sometimes on a performance you need to change a few settings on the air, and without the app or an iphone this is simply not possible.

I understand you feel like this is not justified but it is in a way, since android % of users is bigger than total amout of iOS users, it feels like who is misplacing priorities is Eventide. Maybe in a couple or more years it will be out but non iphone users might have give up already… Well I’m outahere, good luck!! 

n13L5
        Participant
        jgoldbach wrote:

We have responded many, many times to requests for an Android version and we do care. If you read this thread you’ll find that both employees and management of Eventide have responded.

I’ve tried to hold my tongue — I can understand your frustration as an Android owner myself —  but this righteous indignation is totally misplaced. We have nothing against Android. We’d love to release a version tomorrow. I’ve never worked at a company that cared more about its customers or done more for them. 

Sorry for the rant.

I’m surprised about this.  With the famed Eventide name and the high-end studio gear Eventide designs, engineers and sells, it is odd to hear that there are no resources for a simple Android app, that would not even require the store intereface from the IOS version.

The resources likely exist, but are tied up in the next profit-yielding endeavor, while management has marked the android app as something that will bring no profit and that was never advertised or officially promised.

This may also mean, that income from H9 sales has not met internal expectations. The creation of the H9 is may even be considered a mistake, providing too many of Eventide’s algorithms at too low a cost.  Maybe Eventide tried to broaden their audience with less costly units and then too many studios snapped them up and cannibalized sales of more profitable units, making our Android app look to the people who run Eventide like throwing good money after bad. Who knows…

It certainly is frustrating for customers of those units.  Even if you buy a windows tablet, it doesn’t work well, because Eventide’s PC app isn’t designed with small screens or touch controls in mind. At least that would be nice to get fixed.

griffinsauce
        jgoldbach wrote:

Sorry for the rant.

You’re still implying that you will or might do it. Just say you won’t, be brave and honest. This kind of vaguery is not acceptable anymore in todays marketplace, your customers will leave for more transparent brands that they can trust.

diafebus
      Participant

I won’t bother anymore… I just sold my unit. If eventide don’t give a shit I don’t either… There are other brands that sound amazing and they worry about their customers.

actioncamp
      Participant

Look em up and DIY if you want a quickly designed control app so damn much. H9 has crazy customizable midi, there is literally nothing you can’t do with it. I made my own controller, but it’s on an ipad.

props from one tech at a “giant music product conglomerate” to your tech staff here. you guys are undeservedly patient for continuously fielding the same question over and over for a feature you never advertised. I can only hope the guys at Strymon are surviving the constant onslaught of criticism for having no ios or android app for their pedals that also don’t have bluetooth and only do 1/5th of what the H9 does.

While I’m here though I’d like to lodge a complaint- why haven’t you released the H9 in the rest of the colors in the Pantone spectrum? White and Gold clash with the colors on my board. You need to fix this asap – I paid money for this, come to my house and rehouse my pedal or I’m sellin’ it! 🙂

lordradish
        Participant
        actioncamp wrote:
        Look em up and DIY if you want a quickly designed control app so damn much. H9 has crazy customizable midi, there is literally nothing you can’t do with it. I made my own controller, but it’s on an ipad. props from one tech at a “giant music product conglomerate” to your tech staff here. you guys are undeservedly patient for continuously fielding the same question over and over for a feature you never advertised. I can only hope the guys at Strymon are surviving the constant onslaught of criticism for having no ios or android app for their pedals that also don’t have bluetooth and only do 1/5th of what the H9 does. While I’m here though I’d like to lodge a complaint- why haven’t you released the H9 in the rest of the colors in the Pantone spectrum? White and Gold clash with the colors on my board. You need to fix this asap – I paid money for this, come to my house and rehouse my pedal or I’m sellin’ it! 🙂

THIS COMMENT WINS THE FORUM.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You’d think that Eventide installed a spy camera/listening device or some other outrage based on the hysterical comments here. I’m an Android user, too, but I’m not exactly sitting around whining or losing sleep over it, because I’m too damn busy making music with my H9. If one truly can’t use the pedal because of this one thing, I seriously question how well they can use any tech that doesn’t involve gnashing away at a keyboard in a forum somewhere, furiously.

ogeva
      Participant

For what it’s worth, I sold mine.

I, who suggested doing the Android app myself. I would estimate a simple control app, provided that the bluetooth api is documented at a couple of days’ work.

Android users don’t even need the full thing. You just need to be able to select algorithms, tweak their settings, save and load presets.

Everything else can be done with a pc. But basic live operation is needed.

So to say you don’t have the resources, and that you care is insulting. It’s actually so insulting that I will not consider Eventide’s products in the future, when there is a viable alternative (and there always is).

Anyway, too late for me. 

It sounds great. But its a bad unit, because it’s completely unuasble.

lordradish
        Participant
        ogeva wrote:

Unusable? I use my H9 just about every day,, and I don’t have an iPad. Maybe you got a bad one. Or maybe you’re just being dramatic.

voodoojeff
        lordradish wrote:

ogeva wrote:

Unusable? I use my H9 just about every day,, and I don’t have an iPad. Maybe you got a bad one. Or maybe you’re just being dramatic.

Done. 

I use my H9 every single day. I`ve played probably 200 shows with it and recorded uncountable hours. Yeah, I`m an android person. Wouldn`t own an Idevice. I feel absolutely no need for and android interface. Would it be convenient? Sure. Would it be more advantageous than my laptop? Not really. 

Not every product is best suited for every user. My H9 works fine for me. If an android app is the deal breaker, maybe Line 6 has the option. 

jgoldbach
      Participant

…we've reached the end of the constructive exchange on this thread. While the conspiracy theories and witty retorts are amusing, I believe we've covered just about everything we can. If and when there's any real news on the topic, we'll share it immediately and with great fanfare. Thanks again for your feedback and passion. 

strayhorse45
      Participant

A wise man once told me when you meet a talking dog  you don’t worry about it using proper grammar. The Eventide H9 is a talking dog! It is a marvel of engineering that I am truly grateful to own. It is well engineered, produces amazing results, and does exactly what it was advertised to do. The constant whining about an Android app is irritating. The guys from Eventide are engaged with the public, helpful and are obviously take pride in their products.  To fault them for something that was never part of the deal to begin with is ridiculous. If you want Bluetooth control, buy an IOS device, if you don’t want to buy an IOS device, don’t expect Bluetooth. If that is a deal breaker then trot on down to your local Strymon dealer and explore the available options, but for crying out loud quit beating up the Eventide guys for a condition you knew existed when you purchased the product. Talking dogs don’t come along every day. I’m just glad I finally found one! I am an Android user, by the way.

James Roberts
      Participant

Well Here I am at the end of this thread. I have just up/down graded phones fron iphone 4s to sony experia and now I find out I can’t control my H9 on it!!

This is alarming, I suppose I could carry around my old iphone with the dodgy battery, or maybe upgrade to a iphone 8 but whoops, I am not rolling in cash so that’s out.

So Mr Eventide, when will you allow us android users to control our expensive toys?

regards James

n13L5
        Participant
        James Roberts wrote:

So Mr Eventide, when will you allow us android users to control our expensive toys?

regards James

Yes, this question is the more urgent, the more Apple falls behind and the more inacceptable their repair policies / refusals get.

But alas, I got the feeling that the H9 may be nearing EOL sooner than any Android app is forthcoming.

It will amount to buying a used Crapple tablet on fleabay and using it for nothing else but that – and of course, constantly plugged into mains with their half-dead batteries…

But I’m an equal opportunity hater: Android grows more arbitrarily restritive and annoying by the day – all in the name of “security” “terrorism” and “global warming” – the favorite fear schemes of those ‘governing’ us to replace all the other overblown claims they have visited upon us in a past beyond memory.

Since I purchased my Sony XZ, several Android updates made it a successively worse experience:  First, it started to require password after reboots, instead of the much safer fingerprint unlock.  By now, I feel like I’ve lost control over the device – the first time, since I switched to Android, after finding Apple too much effort, having to hack and unlock it over and over after every update…  Just wasn’t worth the effort anymore, to remove the walls from Apple’s Aluminum ghetto, so I left…

The central role I had planned for my H9 Max on my pedal board didn’t work out, thanks to the Apple-only requirement, that spot is now held by Digitech. On most gigs, the H9 stays home… I can’t use it as much as I expected, it works much better for recording with the computer there to control it. And even then its annoying you can’t just stay digital through its USB for recording. Digitech allows me to do AD conversion once, then staying digital all the way into the DAW – eliminating multiple ADDA shreddings of my signal.

I know, that last bit above has nothing to do with the MIA Andriod app…

Annoyed and wondering when Eventide brings the next stomp box that can stay in the digital domain to obsolete the H9, and at what point I should sell it before prices tank… :p

marcusm750

I’ve been playing guitar for 35 years.  Soon after I started collecting the Four Factor and H9 pedals, I sold my entire collection of 50+ pedals.  Everything.  Vintage delays, chorus, flangers, compressors, everything.  I use Eventide exclusively including at the studio where I work part time (and can track during off hours).  The dedicated iPad for the H9 Control lives happily on my music stand with the tab sheets, etc..

In my humble opinion, the H9 is the greatest pedal ever as far as features, flexibility and sound quality.  If an insignificant limitaton such as not having Android support for the H9 Control is stopping people (in their minds) from enjoying this technological marvel, then they don’t deserve it anyway.

Thank you Eventide for your fantastic products and great sounds! smiley

spaceJam
        marcusm750 wrote:

If an insignificant limitaton such as not having Android support for the H9 Control is stopping people (in their minds) from enjoying this technological marvel, then they don’t deserve it anyway.

I wouldn’t call 67% of the market share insignificant.

Oh, and I don’t own an iOS device but this is not stopping me to enjoy this technological marvel 😉

griffinsauce
        marcusm750 wrote:

[…] If an insignificant limitaton such as not having Android support […]

How is it insignificant in your eyes?

Also: to those still pining, give up. Eventide is not releasing an Android app. They may be too corporate-transparent to say so but any serious comitment to that userbase would’ve lead to a result ages ago. It is not happening.

n13L5
        Participant
        marcusm750 wrote:
        an insignificant limitaton such as not having Android support for the H9 Control.

Last time I saw numbers on market share, Apple was below 20%.

That rather makes the existence of an iOS app ‘insignificant’ and a matter of erroneous bias toward Cupertino’s aluminum idolators…

marcusm750
      spaceJam wrote:

I wouldn’t call 67% of the market share insignificant.

n13L5 wrote:

Last time I saw numbers on market share, Apple was below 20%.

In the context of phones, yes, that market share difference is significant.

In the context of controlling the H9, poe-tae-toe / poe-tah-toe / toe-mae-toe / toe-mah-toe.

Just get a second-hand iPad and enjoy the sonic glory that Eventide has wrought!  If that’s not good enough, there’s always Boss pedals.

griffinsauce
        marcusm750 wrote:

If that’s not good enough, there’s always Boss pedals.

Or Strymon, or Source Audio, or TC Electronic, or any other company that either doesn’t have an app as a feature or just does it cross-platform when they do.

This “just buy an iPad” reasoning is really BS by the way. You do realize what those cost right?

marcusm750
        griffinsauce wrote:

This “just buy an iPad” reasoning is really BS by the way. You do realize what those cost right?

Oh, about 30 bucks.  The forum prevents me from including a link but a quick search on eBay turned up a lot of 1st generation iPads for about that much.  There was even a few NOS units for less than a hundred.

My 1st gen iPad died last year after many years of fathful service.  Grabbed a used one with a battery replacement kit for cheap.  Still working like a champ on my music stand.  Of course, it’s dedicated solely to the H9 Control and guitar tab but it works great!

Lati
        Participant
        marcusm750 wrote:
        griffinsauce wrote:

Oh, about 30 bucks.  The forum prevents me from including a link but a quick search on eBay turned up a lot of 1st generation iPads for about that much.  There was even a few NOS units for less than a hundred.

My 1st gen iPad died last year after many years of fathful service.  Grabbed a used one with a battery replacement kit for cheap.  Still working like a champ on my music stand.  Of course, it’s dedicated solely to the H9 Control and guitar tab but it works great!

In the site it says that h9 control needs Ipad 2 or higher.

marcusm750
        Lati wrote:

In the site it says that h9 control needs Ipad 2 or higher.

It may say that, however, the latest version of H9 Control works just fine on my iPad 1.  Even with my now defunct original iPad, I never had problems as the H9 Control evolved over the years.

spaceJam
        marcusm750 wrote:

If that’s not good enough, there’s always Boss pedals.

Have you checked their 500 series? They are also fucking awesome!

I run a DD-500 along with a Space and an H9 and couldn’t be any happier.

marcusm750
        spaceJam wrote:

Have you checked their 500 series? They are also fucking awesome!

I run a DD-500 along with a Space and an H9 and couldn’t be any happier.

About half of the 50+ pedals I sold were Boss including two long-chip DD-3s and an original DM-2 (given to me as a gilf by the studio owner after I repaired his favorite Neumann U-87 mic).  There was also a slew of their dirt boxes, an original CS-1 Chorus and some real rarities like the SG-1 Slow Gear and SP-1 Spectrum, neither of which I was using at all.  My last favorite from them was the RE-20 Space Echo since we have two original units at the studio.  I never tried the 500 series but the DD-500 looks pretty cool!

My one regret post-purge was letting a couple of original Tube Screamers go.  Both had amazing yet different tones that I’ve not been able to recreate.

Gcpetti

I’m waiting ýears for Android app….  and still Notting! Please…  I can’t wait more!   I think I will sell my h9 because of it! 

gkellum
      Participant

H9 Control for Android has been in private beta for the last few months.  We've now released the first public (non-beta) version of H9 Control for Android to the Google Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eventide.h9

Viewing 66 reply threads
  • The topic ‘a question to eventide techs….WHEN the android app will be available?’ is closed to new replies.