- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Sculpt is out now! Reply To: Sculpt is out now!

tomattah wrote:

I might be using thing s wrong, but – I notice that when I turn my guitars down in Sculpt or the CrushStation, the signal doesn;t really clean up – it just gets quiter.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Are those algorithms specifically designed to clean-up? I haven’t downloaded either yet.

The dynamic ‘clean-up’ character of many fuzz/treble booster/OD pedals is due to a dynamic interaction between the guitar’s pickup/volume pot and the pedal’s first gain stage.

As Sculpt/Crushstation are digitally created effects, the first simulated ‘gain stage’ (assuming those algorithms implement some form of cascading gain) is isolated from the guitar by the input buffer and A/D converter, so that same kind of dynamic interaction doesn’t come ‘for free’. It would have to be specifically designed into the algorithms. As far as I know, they’re not trying to emulate analogue devices.

If they are designed to clean-up (I don’t know), but do not in your rig, you might need to play with the input gain on the H9, as you may already be clipping the first ‘gain stage’ with the guitar’s volume rolled down.