Sculpt is out now!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Sculpt is out now!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      gkellum
      Participant

We just released a new version of the H9 software with accompanying new releases of H9 Control containing the Sculpt algorithm.

If you'd like to check out the new Sculpt algorithm, please install the latest version of H9 Control and update your H9 to the latest software.

Here's a quick guide we put together for updating your H9:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/installing-updates-and-new-algorithms-your-h9

kenhan
      Participant
      gkellum wrote:

We just released a new version of the H9 software with accompanying new releases of H9 Control containing the Sculpt algorithm.

If you’d like to check out the new Sculpt algorithm, please install the latest version of H9 Control and update your H9 to the latest software.

Here’s a quick guide we put together for updating your H9:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/support/downloads/installing-updates-and-new-algorithms-your-h9

Well done. I like that Eventide is not trying to model other people’s stuff like a 100 other companies are doing, but is always doing its own unique stuff. I’m looking forward to other unique stuff coming to the H9, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Stax_911
      Participant

It works great on my H9 Max ! Thank you Eventide for this new algo.

Is it possible to have the detail of the other improvments you’ve done on this update ? Something about MIDI clock if I remember well ?

Given To Fly
      Participant

Sculpt is great! The best description I can come up with is the distortion tone subtly “slithers” around while you are playing. It is not distracting either, quite the opposite, its rather pleasant and musically useful. That should be taken as a compliment because I’ve never heard anything that I would describe as “slithery” and say it is musically useful. Quite the opposite in fact! So good job Eventide!  yes

entreat69
      Participant

Congrats on the release of Sculpt for H9 to everyone at Eventide. Great job guys!

This distortion algorithm is incredibly versatile and from experimenting with the well thought out control parameters I can easily “Sculpt” traditional tones as well as discovering surprisingly new never thought of or heard of sounds! Thanks Eventide.

brock
      Participant

I agree with many of the comments above.  I’ll add that I initially made the mistake of max’ing everything out.  Distortion, right?  Crank it.  But there are loads of subtle combinations in the Sculpt algorithm.  All of my first preset attempts (and most of the [F]actory presets) keep the MIX pegged at 100.

Setting the MIX low (even down to 20) gives you some nice ‘parallel compression’ options.  Attack, *and* spectrum shaping.  Presets that sweep filters can sound like a doubled line, or descending ambient wash.

brock
        Participant
        EQ Compressor, CrushStation, and Sculpt Info Tabs wrote:
        The compressor ( sustainer ) is specially designed to vary the numerous parameters of a typical compressor, such as the ratio, attack, release, and makeup gain to keep the overall loudness consistent.

Any chance of listing the general ranges of those parameters in bold?  I realize that they’re highly interactive, and it would be difficult to pin down exact values at any given point in the Pre- / Post- ‘throw’ from 0-100.

But perhaps just the extreme values at 0 & 100, for ratio, attack, release (not necessarily makeup gain).  Or with a midpoint value , and over a linear / logarithmic curve.  Or whether the compression combinations are identical over the three algorithms, or that ranges have been tweaked specifically for one algo over the next.

Hey, if it’s proprietary to the algorithm(s) design, I understand.  But I believe that it’d be easier to fine-tune the compressor(s) with some idea of what’s available ‘under the hood’.  I’m the last person that you’d expect to seek out an “Auto-Gain” solution for compression.  I’ve found this particular implementation to be very useful.

zenofbass
      Participant

Hi – Is there an updated H9 Factory Presets list (in app and in pedal) which includes the new Sculpt algorithm? If so, could you please post the download link?

Thanks so much.

quote=gkellum]

If you’d like to check out the new Sculpt algorithm, please install the latest version of H9 Control and update your H9 to the latest software.

Here’s a quick guide we put together for updating your H9:

[/quote]

gkellum
        Participant
        zenofbass wrote:

Is there an updated H9 Factory Presets list (in app and in pedal) which includes the new Sculpt algorithm? If so, could you please post the download link?

No, we haven't changed the Factory preset list.  We normally don't change the Factory preset list when a new algorithm is released, b/c we don't want to confuse people who are used to particular presets being at particular locations.  

zenofbass
        Participant

Thank you. Is the last Factory preset list that’s available version 2 from Oct 20 2015 or is there something more current? If so could you post that link?

gkellum wrote:

zenofbass wrote:

Is there an updated H9 Factory Presets list (in app and in pedal) which includes the new Sculpt algorithm? If so, could you please post the download link?

No, we haven’t changed the Factory preset list.  We normally don’t change the Factory preset list when a new algorithm is released, b/c we don’t want to confuse people who are used to particular presets being at particular locations.  

gkellum
        Participant
        zenofbass wrote:

Thank you. Is the last Factory preset list that's available version 2 from Oct 20 2015 or is there something more current? If so could you post that link?

Yes, that's the latest Factory preset list.  All of the preset lists are posted in the Docs & Downloads section of the H9 product page:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/multi-effect-processor/h9#block-views-downloads-block-1

tomattah
      Participant

I might be using thing s wrong, but – I notice that when I turn my guitars down in Sculpt or the CrushStation, the signal doesn;t really clean up – it just gets quiter.  Am I doing something wrong? 

gkellum
        tomattah wrote:

I might be using thing s wrong, but – I notice that when I turn my guitars down in Sculpt or the CrushStation, the signal doesn;t really clean up – it just gets quiter.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Are those algorithms specifically designed to clean-up? I haven’t downloaded either yet.

The dynamic ‘clean-up’ character of many fuzz/treble booster/OD pedals is due to a dynamic interaction between the guitar’s pickup/volume pot and the pedal’s first gain stage.

As Sculpt/Crushstation are digitally created effects, the first simulated ‘gain stage’ (assuming those algorithms implement some form of cascading gain) is isolated from the guitar by the input buffer and A/D converter, so that same kind of dynamic interaction doesn’t come ‘for free’. It would have to be specifically designed into the algorithms. As far as I know, they’re not trying to emulate analogue devices.

If they are designed to clean-up (I don’t know), but do not in your rig, you might need to play with the input gain on the H9, as you may already be clipping the first ‘gain stage’ with the guitar’s volume rolled down.

tomattah
        Participant
        Timmy! wrote:
        Are those algorithms specifically designed to clean-up? I haven’t downloaded either yet. The dynamic ‘clean-up’ character of many fuzz/treble booster/OD pedals is due to a dynamic interaction between the guitar’s pickup/volume pot and the pedal’s first gain stage. As Sculpt/Crushstation are digitally created effects, the first simulated ‘gain stage’ (assuming those algorithms implement some form of cascading gain) is isolated from the guitar by the input buffer and A/D converter, so that same kind of dynamic interaction doesn’t come ‘for free’. It would have to be specifically designed into the algorithms. As far as I know, they’re not trying to emulate analogue devices. If they are designed to clean-up (I don’t know), but do not in your rig, you might need to play with the input gain on the H9, as you may already be clipping the first ‘gain stage’ with the guitar’s volume rolled down.

What you’re saying makes logical sense.  The CrushStation and Sculpt do have some interesting things going on for perhaps special effects – I’ll have to stay with the NovaDrive and SL Drive for those sounds and use the H9 as an extra flavour for special occasions.  Thank you! 

nedped

Unable to update H9 max to software 5.4.0 — box is currently running 5.2 and H9 Control has latest update installed. I’ve tried updating box from two different Windows PCs, via both USB and Bluetooth. In any combination, I get the same result:

Error clearing flash memory

An error occurred while clearing the required space in flash memory. Error: The stompbox either did not resond or responded incorrectly to a request five times. Please verify tht it is still connected. (Error code MessageConstants::sm_exceeded_maximum_attempts)

AND

Communication error

An error occurred while communication with the H9 device <H9-04958>

The stopmpox is not responding. Please verify that it is still connected. (Error code MessageConstants::sm_response_timeout)

Error code [sm_response_timeout}

I’ve emailed support, but in the meantime, any suggestions from the board would be most welcome

nedped

nedped wrote:

Unable to update H9 max to software 5.4.0 …. I’ve emailed support, but in the meantime, any suggestions from the board would be most welcome

Tech support came through here, emailing detailed instructions for an alternate method that included two new download files. The procedure worked like a charm and now I’m enjoying the new Sculpt and Time Space algorithms in my H9 Max. Kudos to Eventide support!

Gav RL
        nedped wrote:

Unable to update H9 max to software 5.4.0 — box is currently running 5.2 and H9 Control has latest update installed. I’ve tried updating box from two different Windows PCs, via both USB and Bluetooth. In any combination, I get the same result:

Error clearing flash memory

An error occurred while clearing the required space in flash memory. Error: The stompbox either did not resond or responded incorrectly to a request five times. Please verify tht it is still connected. (Error code MessageConstants::sm_exceeded_maximum_attempts)

AND

Communication error

An error occurred while communication with the H9 device <H9-04958>

The stopmpox is not responding. Please verify that it is still connected. (Error code MessageConstants::sm_response_timeout)

Error code [sm_response_timeout}

I’ve emailed support, but in the meantime, any suggestions from the board would be most welcome

Same thing is happening to me when I try to update from 5.3.0 to 5.4.0 – hoping someone can help here?

gkellum
        Participant
        Gav RL wrote:

Same thing is happening to me when I try to update from 5.3.0 to 5.4.0 – hoping someone can help here?

The person you quoted was running into this problem on a Windows PC both when connecting with USB and Bluetooth.  Is this actually the platform you are using and how you're connecting to your H9?  If not, what is?  Also, when you turn your H9 on does the display light up immediately or is there a 10 second delay before it lights up?

st.bede
      Participant

I am seriously happy with sculpt.

Bodde
      Participant

Thanks for this great algo Eventide! Really like the combination of distortion and envelope filter. It is kind a complication at first because of how everything interacts but I have to spend some more time with it. Think it will sound good on my bass too! Is it also possible to get a cleaner sound with envelope filter (for my bass)? A Mutron or Qtron like classic envelope filter sound. Or is it better to use the Modfilter or the Q wah for that?

Bodde
      Participant

Think I have answered my own question. Tried Sculpt on my bass and was discovering some nice envelope filter sounds. Made a quick video of various own sounds and grooves. It is just the bass and Sculpt going directly in my soundcard. I accidentally have set the input a bit too high. Really like the algo. Although the compressor is very subtle and it is hard to get a country quack for guitar for example. For my taste the compressor could be a bit more extreme.

Here is the bass video: https://youtu.be/cffG0btDQAQ

Gav RL

I’m trying to update via the control app on both my iPhone and iPad. Both have most recent OS on them. They connect via Bluetooth fine, and it prompts the update, but when I start, it just hangs on the first “erase” phase

gkellum
        Participant
        Gav RL wrote:
        I'm trying to update via the control app on both my iPhone and iPad. Both have most recent OS on them. They connect via Bluetooth fine, and it prompts the update, but when I start, it just hangs on the first "erase" phase

Ok, a fair number of users have run into this problem.  We've had a couple of H9s sent into us that show this problem, but we've never been able to reproduce it.  

But in any case there's any easy work around.  Please download the desktop version of H9 Control on either a Mac or PC, and update while connected to H9 Control via USB.  

If you run into the same problem updating with H9 Control via USB, H9 Control comes bundled with an app called the Eventide Direct Updater;  this updates the H9 using a different mechanism and this has always worked for users with this problem in the past.  You can open it on Mac by clicking on the Window menu item in the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen, and you can open it on Windows by finding its shortcut in the start menu or by going to H9 Control's directoy under Program Files.

Gav RL

Also, display lights up immediately

Gav RL

As attached

Gav RL

…thanks

peterfrequency
      Participant

Hi there,

I recently bought two H9s, one of them a Max, inspired in part by the possibility of using Sculpt on the first H9 + a reverb or delay algorithm on the second, mainly running a Nord Drum through it. Would it be possible to add a true stereo mode to Sculpt? Everything I send through it seems to gets summed to mono then divided into the two frequency bands. That would be great if I was a guitarist with two amps, but I’m not, and I’m sure there a lot of other H9 users out who would appreciate another true high quality stereo distortion. I love that CrushStation is stereo, but I for my purposes I much prefer the soundshaping capabilities of Sculpt. Or maybe it’s possible and I’m missing something basic? There are some great possibilities for this algorithm used with low mix settings for adding lovely subtle harmonics to complex stereo signals (a la the Elektron Analog Heat). Or maybe it’s there and I’m somehow missing it? This would be an amazing feature if you decided to add it. 🙂

It works well with CrushStation, but I prefer the sound shaping possibilities of Sculpt. Everything I send through Sculpt

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        peterfrequency wrote:
        Hi there, I recently bought two H9s, one of them a Max, inspired in part by the possibility of using Sculpt on the first H9 + a reverb or delay algorithm on the second, mainly running a Nord Drum through it. Would it be possible to add a true stereo mode to Sculpt? Everything I send through it seems to gets summed to mono then divided into the two frequency bands. That would be great if I was a guitarist with two amps, but I'm not, and I'm sure there a lot of other H9 users out who would appreciate another true high quality stereo distortion. I love that CrushStation is stereo, but I for my purposes I much prefer the soundshaping capabilities of Sculpt. Or maybe it's possible and I'm missing something basic? There are some great possibilities for this algorithm used with low mix settings for adding lovely subtle harmonics to complex stereo signals (a la the Elektron Analog Heat). Or maybe it's there and I'm somehow missing it? This would be an amazing feature if you decided to add it. 🙂 It works well with CrushStation, but I prefer the sound shaping possibilities of Sculpt.

Hi peterfrequency,

Unfortunately in this case I have to give a definitive "no, not possible" answer.  I wish the case were different, but the DSP chip in the H9 doesn't have enough juice to do a full strereo multiband distortion without significantly reducing the quality of the distortion.  Believe me (I designed Sculpt), I tried and tried to squeeze every last drop of CPU out of that thing to go full stereo, and this was the best compromise for a stereo effect I could come up with that maintains the powerful soundscaping possibilities of Sculpt. Basically, it came down to a choice: you get stereo, or you get multiband soundscaping.  Since we already had the stereo CrushStation, I opted for something new.  

Now, a little technical explanation: Good sounding high gain distortion in the digital domain always comes at a high CPU price b/c we need to upsample the signal, running distortion math/modelling at at least 4 times the sample rate of the box.  If we don't do this we get nasty aliasing distortion.  The H9 can only do 2 of these distortions (maybe 3 depending on all the other processing in the algorithm, filters, pitchshifters, etc) before we bring the chip to its knees.  That's why CrushStation is stereo, each channel has its own distortion. Sculpt uses the 2 distortions up on the mulitband approach.  No matter what I strip out, 4 good sounding distortions is an impossibility with the current hardware, therefore no stereo Sculpt.  

Now, if we were to ever port this algorithm to more powerful platforms, or update our stompbox hardware in the future, we might be having a different conversation 🙂  So thanks for digging in, and sorry I couldn't be more obliging this time around.  

peterfrequency
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

peterfrequency wrote:
        Hi there, I recently bought two H9s, one of them a Max, inspired in part by the possibility of using Sculpt on the first H9 + a reverb or delay algorithm on the second, mainly running a Nord Drum through it. Would it be possible to add a true stereo mode to Sculpt? Everything I send through it seems to gets summed to mono then divided into the two frequency bands. That would be great if I was a guitarist with two amps, but I’m not, and I’m sure there a lot of other H9 users out who would appreciate another true high quality stereo distortion. I love that CrushStation is stereo, but I for my purposes I much prefer the soundshaping capabilities of Sculpt. Or maybe it’s possible and I’m missing something basic? There are some great possibilities for this algorithm used with low mix settings for adding lovely subtle harmonics to complex stereo signals (a la the Elektron Analog Heat). Or maybe it’s there and I’m somehow missing it? This would be an amazing feature if you decided to add it. 🙂 It works well with CrushStation, but I prefer the sound shaping possibilities of Sculpt.

Hi peterfrequency,

Unfortunately in this case I have to give a definitive “no, not possible” answer.  I wish the case were different, but the DSP chip in the H9 doesn’t have enough juice to do a full strereo multiband distortion without significantly reducing the quality of the distortion.  Believe me (I designed Sculpt), I tried and tried to squeeze every last drop of CPU out of that thing to go full stereo, and this was the best compromise for a stereo effect I could come up with that maintains the powerful soundscaping possibilities of Sculpt. Basically, it came down to a choice: you get stereo, or you get multiband soundscaping.  Since we already had the stereo CrushStation, I opted for something new.  

Now, a little technical explanation: Good sounding high gain distortion in the digital domain always comes at a high CPU price b/c we need to upsample the signal, running distortion math/modelling at at least 4 times the sample rate of the box.  If we don’t do this we get nasty aliasing distortion.  The H9 can only do 2 of these distortions (maybe 3 depending on all the other processing in the algorithm, filters, pitchshifters, etc) before we bring the chip to its knees.  That’s why CrushStation is stereo, each channel has its own distortion. Sculpt uses the 2 distortions up on the mulitband approach.  No matter what I strip out, 4 good sounding distortions is an impossibility with the current hardware, therefore no stereo Sculpt.  

Now, if we were to ever port this algorithm to more powerful platforms, or update our stompbox hardware in the future, we might be having a different conversation 🙂  So thanks for digging in, and sorry I couldn’t be more obliging this time around.  

Thanks for the detailed answer. That makes sense. It’s definitely not worth sacrificing quality. Also interesting to get a bit of an insight into the design process.

With a third H9 – two running Sculpt – I suppose I could get the sound I’m after. That is a downright dangerous thought…

I really appreciate the work – congrats a killer algorithm. 🙂

peterfrequency
      Participant

PS that last sentence, didn’t mean to include it. 🙂

Blobe

By the way, midi thru is not working.

*not* working

Which is a shame considering how long the h9 has been released, and how much time you’ve spent doing patches about this. So, what’s wrong ? hardware that just won’t ever let the midi comes thru ?

Like, i guess, many other people i had to buy a Quadra Thru just to be able to use my h9.Considering the price of the units it’s a shame, don’t you think ?

Let me be clear, i like my h9, but this low tech problem is really beyond my understanding.

Unchained81

I used a free download from my H9 purchase i October to get the Sculpt.  Not sure what I was thinking but I did not need this algo at all.  I literally have not used it for more than maybe 2 minutes in the two months I’ve had it.  I don’t suppose there’s any way I can somehow return this algo and get the free download back, is there?  I think I know the answer to this but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.  Thanks – Mike

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.