- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes What should I do? Reply To: What should I do?

brock
Participant

Small world.  I’m as far south as you can go on the mainland, and head to The Keys most every weekend.  Gilbert’s, to around Hog’s Heaven, or Islamorada Fish Company / Morada Bay area, usually.  Occasionally further, like when ‘Irma’ came to town.  I also have 3 H9’s on the ‘board, under MIDI control.

You can mine MIDI to great depths, or keep it simple.  What are you picturing?  Maybe preset control switching only, with all the MIDI-capable devices?  External loop switching, over the non-MIDI drive / distortion pedals?  Individual parameter control, continuously variable, under an expression pedal sweep?  Your answers will help to narrow down the recommendations

There are a ton of options out there now – simple to complex; relatively cheap to expensive.  I’d suggest a relatively simple approach to start, and a device with the capabilities to expand as your MIDI knowledge does.  And I know what you mean about the venue space, so compact is a priority.

Nice “second” ‘board.  But hey, your ‘baby girl’ is always going to be your baby girl.  I can’t really speak to your drive / distortion choices, from personal experience.  The Keeley has no pedal match.  I will say that a good analog or two makes perfect sense in this local market.  I drifted away from being a real purist, as digital distortion is getting so much better now (for my purposes).

But with 3 H9’s … you can cover most any sound or configuration that you can dream up.  Under MIDI control, the sky is the limit.  I run a small rack, big ‘board, stereo amps / FRFR, complex control, and I lug around an FCB-1010 alongside the pedalboard.  Not something I’d push on anyone else, but it works for me.