- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Exploring H9 Looper MIDI Control Reply To: Exploring H9 Looper MIDI Control

Yarns

Hi Brock,

First of all thanks for all this. I am really grateful for the support. The H9 is by far my favorite pedal, and I am not surprised that Eventide is so quick to help.

So, I tried what you said and – hurray! – it worked… For 15 minutes. At first it was back to the autoplay mode, and then it started doing that thing again where it stops playing/won’t loop at the end of the recorded sequence on Tempo mode.

Here’s what I tried:

– I deleted the CC#28 (parameter 7) on the H9 app, and it worked great at first, before going back to “No Autoplay”;

– I also tried to put the H9 on a new Midi channel. It used to be on Channel 3 (right after my Line 6 HX effects in the daisy chain), and I moved it to Channel 5 and reconfigured all my presets. Again, the autoplay worked again, but then stopped doing its thing (gosh that was frustrating to think I had gotten it to eventually be back to the same problem, haha);

– I set all the 1-10 parameters to “No Mapping” in the H9 app, but it did not do anything. The looper buttons on the DMC are all doing what they are supposed to do, but the autoplay still won’t work on the H9. It’s so weird that it’s working, and then it just stops after a while.

Unfortunately, the DMC-6 is not controllable via the Midi Baby app. In their manual, there are some precise CC# you have to apply in order to use the H9 looper with the DMC. I checked and re-checked, and they are all set according to what they recommend in the manual.

I contacted Disaster Area as well, but they are – unfortunately – not as prompt/efficient in helping as you guys.

Again, the autoplay feature is a killer parameter that I use all the time, so that’s why I am so nitpicking about it to work.

Anyhoo, any support on this would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

brock wrote:

Tough one to diagnose remotely.  I can give you a few ideas to pursue:

Three daisy-chained MIDI devices is about the limit I would take.  I don’t think that’s the problem here (if everything else H9 is working).  But with any additional devices, consider a MIDI THRU box.  That said, it’s good practice to eliminate the MIDI variables, and test out one controller with one device at a time.

I don’t have a DMC-6 here, but a MIDI Baby 3 would be similar.  Do you have Zoia, Line 6, and H9 all receiving on the same MIDI Channel?  Useful in some circumstances, but that can be the cause of some ‘cross-wired’ MIDI CC commands.

As for the H9, have you left the Parameter 1-10 MIDI CC assignments at defaults?  As I recall, a stray MIDI CC#28 message might be resetting your PLAYMODE preset to an unwanted value / position.  Have you noticed a change there?

The Disaster Area controllers are highly programmable, and can send just about any message.  Lacking a MIDI monitor for diagnosis, I would think you can narrow down exactly what the DMC-6 is sending from their app (assuming it’s the same as the MIDI Baby 3 approach).