- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount Am I the only one who hates my H9000? Reply To: Am I the only one who hates my H9000?

Tony Wong

I am very new to recording and also just bought this.  I was very excited at the day it popped up in my studio last week, which I heard that it is a great machine with reputable brand and tons of professional studios are using… But, with this week experience, I don’t like it… may be I am not familiar on the digital connections/terminology… or understanding of how to use and connect an outboard effect with Logic Pro on my iMac Pro and primary AD/DA Prism audio Altas… What has been happening? 

1. I must switch on the H9k first before I switched on my Mac > logic pro > Prism Audio Atlas, as if I don’t do by this sequence, the h9k will be prompted me “Sound is muted because the sample rate is unmatched… in fact, I have been set all of them at 41.4k, so “WHY UNMATCHED?!?!?!”
  2. I use wireline to connect all of the iMac Pro and h9k on my LAN, the emote software crashed and disconnected with the H9k at every 5 mins….
  3. I am using the Atlas for main AD/DA to record my analogue signals, and I intended to use the H9k only as effect generator via USB connection with iMac Pro…. Therefore, after I recorded say a guitar on a track in the Logic pro , I use the “add FX” feature in Logic pro to add “emote” effect, I picked it and emote asked me to choose Mono to Mono or mono to stereo, I picked mono.  Emote popped up on the screen and try to connect to h9k, some times straight in and some times failed after waiting for 5 minutes and I needed to switch the “emote fx/plug in” off in the logic pro and retry it…ok… finally done and I only added a reverb effect and routed via usb in and usb out…. Sorry it didn’t work…. And emote crashed again, and I repeated to do the above again and again for days… OK, finally I forfit to use the add fx way in the Logic pro… I created TWO new tracks next to the guitar recorded track … set the recorded guitar track’s output as Stereo 13-14, which is the H9k input track… set the input of the new tracks as input 11 and 12, which are the H9k output tracks and set the output tracks of these two new tracks in logic pro as stereo out, so it routed to the default output of logic pro > Prism Audio Atlas and my headphone… YES, it works!  Cool!!!  Sorry, it only worked for few mins, and all a sudden it crashed again… and I cannot hear the sound from the Altas and also found NO signals at the signal bar on Stereo Output at Logic Pro BUT I found there are guitar signals at the emote’s input and output signal bars and also at the new two tracks’ signal bars in logic pro, BUT why there is no signal at the stereo output’s signal bar at logic pro, which I can hear other tracks that I chose stereo outputs and can see the signals at the stereo output’s signal bar at Logic pro… ok, I retry and retry and retry, I found sometimes I can hear only one track from the two new tracks, sometime I got nothing after restarted/rebooted the software/hardware and i also found missed route back from h9k back to logic pro…… I AM EXTREMELLY FRUTSTRATED… may be I am too new that I don’t know how to configure it…. HOWEVER, IT SHOULDN’T BE ABLE TO WORK FOR FEW MINS and NOT WORKING by the SAME SETTING for DAYS!!!
  4. I have set the output of 13/14 from logic pro to emote USB 1 and 2 IN and OUT through the REVERB and return to input 11/12 and output of 15/16 from logic pro to emote USB 3 and 4 IN and OUT through another REVERB and return to input 13/14

Really wish someone can help me to resolve it… the salesman has been trying hard to help me and texted to his countered part working in Eventide with over 12-hour time differences… BUT the reply from his countered part was not really helpful… e.g. I expressed that why the USB and clocking is not working well with my Atlas and iMac Pro…, the reply was “”yes he need to know it’s on the mile stone, Otherwise he will think he should choose some other brands”  and “Well, if all through analogue then no clock issue cause H9k uses it’s own clock!”

I have the cap screen of these replies, I can share if you want to…

I am using the most updated firmware for H9k and Emote

Hello? Am I paying almost 6k pounds to get such a nightmare and customer service from this “REPUTABLE” Company?

Pls find the pics of my issues as described above…

KYXTA wrote:

I’ll chime in here.

Firstly with the guy above… I’d wait a little longer than 48hrs of ownership before praising. I agree that it is indeed a stunning peice of gear, and when it works, I couldnt be happier. But if you want to use it for anything more than straight in-out processing, it is fast becoming a nightmare. 

Whilst I agree that emote runs super-fast with no glitches when it works, it currently does not allow itself to be automated from my DAW, and regularly crashes the H9000. Strangley, since the last major harware update, the H9000 never seems to crash unless it is Emote related. 

I consider myself a pretty heavy user these days. I have all my analog and all my digital ins and outs connected, I run it as hardware within my ‘out of the box’ environment, which these days seems fairly stable – although it took almost a year of ownership to get there. I also use it heavily as digital inserts to my DAW where it is my dream to be able to automate the paremters from the DAW. In fact, its one of the main reason I bought the thing. It sounds so so good compared to plugins, but it does crash once every few days and takes an AGE to reboot. 

I’ve not experienced the issues that Compuman81 seems to be encountering thankfully. My routing remains the same for a chain, even after swapping that chain out either for another preset, or one of my own presets (providing I saved it with the same in and outs).

So, to answer the OPs original questions… I loved mine the day I got it (I was blown away by the interface and have only had to look at the manual a couple of times, it really is almost as easy as EMOTE to use). Then I spent months HATING it as it was practically unusable (I was an early purchaser). Then 1.1 came out and I was happy again, but since I have integrated it fully into my setup, and am now trying to use EMOTE primarily, I am annoyed with it. 

Eventide have been consistent with updates, and seem to be listening to us when it comes to bugs, but it’s taking a while, and having no remote control of the unit is a BIG issue for me when it comes to automation. 

I still hold hope that my £5k lump will one day be the dream I had hoped for when I pulled the trigger on it, but software does not seem to be Eventides strong point at present.