- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins Split EQ Latency Reply To: Split EQ Latency

kharmeleon
Participant

A way around this issue is to use split EQ to process tracks in a separate project with no other plugins. This is just good practice anyway, especially for CPU intensive plugins that are shaping sounds. having them on all the time can mess with the mix overall it feels like it’s just a good idea to record it once the sounds are just right. . It is pretty cool however having multiple splitteqs and then balancing tones across tracks for mixing effects previously not possible. Especially where there is phasing.

Using it for a general eq is overkill a lot of the time you could use a really low latency program that doesn’t have all these great distractions that could take you away from your simple task for god knows how long.

Serato studio handled it pretty well. I had 3 running before opening Ableton and was confused by the lag but my master sounded a bit different after the final track was processed. It still did pretty well at the time I was unaware of the issue I just thought Serato Studio was still teething.

I was thinking of a separate app by eventide that is simply this eq that you could use on an iPad or second computer or even a smartphone with a send return if you wanted a live eq. The Ipad would be pretty great for mixing too.

You could also maybe add an option for a static eq you can apply to audio files and it processes the file, gives you a sample of what it sounds like and you can work outside of live editing. so that the plugin doesn’t have to actually be running all the time processing the tracks over and over.

Another cool option for animating an eq over an audio file with automation lane or you can do a manual eq “take” with that file alone. Even outside of a DAW would be useful.

This is a really good eq for shaping the sound and hopefully, over time, it will get less of a problem as technology improves there’s some crazy potential

I have found it better to use it to shape sounds and record them than go back to your low latency EQs for live editing

I am on an older CPU mac so if anyone with a new mac that has an m1 chip could give feedback on the performance I am curious to see if i can run a couple split eqs n a new machine.

this is speculation and I am not sure if this helped but It would be pretty funny if it did. I rarely use a swing or quantize and have low attack most of the time and so if additional lag was applied it would sound the same as if I dialled the attack way back and made sure there was no swing or grid affecting your track