- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 USB Digital Noise using Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen Reply To: H9000 USB Digital Noise using Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen

bsfreq
Participant

So the short answers are YES, you you can add digital noise to an analog OR digital signal chain. A poorly shielded CPU clock frequency circuit for example will inject spurious noise into anything not optically isolated. So there’s that.

Splitting hairs here, but regardless of the fact that the port is meant for digital data, the interference is still analog, (electricity instead of ones and zeros) and might get through due to poor shielding.

You HAVE to use some sort of preamp if you intend to use an analog input on the H9000 with instrument level signal. The H9000 only accepts balanced preamp level analog inputs.

I fully understand this. That’s exactly why I suggested using an analog preamp. Something made for this very purpose.

According to Focusrite, the 2i2 DOES NOT WORK IN STANDALONE MODE. I just thought at after paying 7k for an effects processor, that there shouldn’t be a noisy ANYTHING on it, INCLUDING the USB Ports! I’ve tried a powered USB hub, but this does not “wake up” the 2i2 because again, it doesn’t even see any signal until it is connected to either a computer, or another host device such as an iPad, computer, or the H9000 itself.

I don’t have a 2i2 myself so I just googled it, and on the Focusrite 2i2 page

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

(bottom-specifications-connectivity), they say that it requires a 900mA USB port.

Apparently they have multiple generations of 2i2’s and I obviously didn’t look into details of the older ones. Perhaps they work at lower amps then??

However if the problem is low amperage, then connecting a powered USB-hub to H9000 port and 2i2 to that hub might work. If the H9000 has a host mode, then it should work with a hub too, I think. Did you even try this, or did you simply try powering the device with a HUB only?

You must understand that you’re using the H9000’s USB-ports for something they’re not meant for. (They are meant for digital data, midi, thumb drives, wifi-dongles etc. Not for powering audio interfaces) And your whole approach sounds sketchy to me. Those focusrites are audio interfaces with AD / DA converters, meant to be connected to a computer. I already suggested a more suitable approach, but you can of course stay in your forest if it feels cosy to you.

BTW, I’m just another forum user, not related to Eventide in any way. I was just trying to help and give you some ideas to make your setup work. All the best.