- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Polyphony “stacking” Reply To: H90 Polyphony “stacking”

Synergist
Participant

Dear Brock:

Ah…thank you for your suggestions…sometimes vague/unfocused musings generate genuine “eureka moments” to be honed over time…hopefully my exploration begins tomorrow…I have the great luxury of having SO much to learn…,”I am but an egg…”, lol…

(Yes, I openly and fully acknowledge that I am/will be “suffering” an embarrassment of riches…(TWO H90s arriving tomorrow…one of those “oh, what the hell, you only live once kind of expenditures…), so my challenge to myself is to make the most of my technological wealth…being so fully aware that so many others have created so much more with so much less…

As a “singing”/melodic instrument, the basic timbre, and articulation facility of the recorder is really not bad at all…HOWEVER, as it is most often associated/perceived as a child’s starter instrument with an attendant painfully strident/out of tune sound,  as I have mentioned, I would love to gnarl-up/distort/”fuzz-up”(?) the sound of a recorder, (it is not called the “Flauto Dolce” in Italian for nothing…), as I would like to moderately distance myself/my timbre from that “traditional”/anticipated/”feared”(?) sound.

With my current relatively “fiddly”/pot(?), harmony generator, I am able to and elect to generate a combination of 3 octaves “around the pitch being played…a combination of one or two octaves below and one above, or two octaves above and one below, depending on the music being performed…generally filling “slots” 1 and 2 with one and two octaves below my played pitch to thicken/warm my sound…however, sometimes I reverse that such that I am creating generating one and two octaves ABOVE and one below my lower recorder(s) so that I can still cut through the mix…

Regardless, my doing so is an attempt to create a more lush/broad/complex timbre…and I certainly desire more control and range over those parameters…(even IF I cannot ever really generate a genuinely appealing “dirty” timbre), however, IF I am ABLE to create the harmonic series/overtones necessary to create that elusive, “modern” timbre, GREAT…!…

Again, I appreciate any and all input/suggestions/advice…

Peace/Namaste,

Tim

P.S.  Should you be inclined, I would love to learn what you learn by recording/analyzing the output from YOUR instruments…(it is my understanding via a relatively shallow foray on the internet that recorders/”flutes”, (be they organ pipes or otherwise…), all appear to generate remarkably limited harmonic series, (particularly in terms of their amplitude above the 1st harmonic)…and that those overtones that ARE generated are primarily odd harmonics…