- Eventide Audio

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Polyphony “stacking” Reply To: H90 Polyphony “stacking”

brock
Participant

You have an interesting journey ahead of you, on a path less traveled.  But I see a parallel in synthesizer technique.  Building with modules from sine or triangle waveforms. Additive, or FM, as opposed to more common subtractive synthesis.

I would grab a spare phone or computer, and keep that online manual (linked above) alongside at all times.  Run through the Factory Programs, find what you like, over-analyze a few, but don’t get stuck there with plug ‘n’ play.

A focus on one H90 to start; download the H90 Control app, but really learn all of the ‘gestures’ on the hardware itself.  I feel it’s important to (eventually) know each algorithm inside & out.  It makes the selection much easier when you’ve experienced the advantages of each one.

Eventide has a ton of targeted videos up to learn from.  Tweak the H90 alongside with them.  The important thing is ‘hands on’, until it’s second nature.  Create a lot of Lists in H90 Control (they’re unlimited).  I have numbered versions of Drafts, Practical, Experimental, WTF, Finals, Uploads, Downloads …

Check out PatchStorage.  There are currently  over 100 Programs for download from a variety of end users coming from unique perspectives.

I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised with your pitch shift focus.  No doubt that’s a great place to start, and get your feet wet.  I’d suggest an expression pedal or two as essential accessories; at least an Aux Switch.  Not exactly ‘required’ (especially considering the H90 Perform options).  But with your stated intentions, you are going to want an expression pedal.

It struck me that a recorder might be a near perfect source for the HotSawz algorithm.  A complete monophonic synthesizer in a single Preset slot.  It will generate sawtooth waveforms from your input, and allow you to apply all sorts of subtractive synthesis techniques.  Pretty forgiving (or ‘interesting’) with any glitches you might get from microphone input.  Or you might try experimenting with some cheap contact mics.  RingMod might be another good fit.

Then there’s always incorporating that 2nd H90.  Physically connected in series, parallel alongside, or plugged in as an insert to H90 #1.  You have some endless possibilities there.  Patiently, one step at a time, get the learning curve down pat first.  I’ll be interested to see how this all shakes out for you.